Geddy Lee's solo record - My Favorite Headache - Home On The Strange

YYZumbi

I just listened to Geddy's solo record My Favorite Headache for the first time in years, and I was listening to the lyrics on the song Home On The Strange. And it got me thinking... is this song about himself?
  • Like 1

I just listened to Geddy's solo record My Favorite Headache for the first time in years, and I was listening to the lyrics on the song Home On The Strange. And it got me thinking... is this song about himself?

I THINK it was written about some guy in the studio. Planned on listening to the world premiere last weekend, but didn't get to it.

How does everyone feel about Eddie Trunk telling you what to listen to and what tours to buy tickets for??

I can't speak for everyone, but Eddie doesn't dictate what concerts I attend. I'm sure he'd turn his nose up at Blackberry Smoke or DEVO.

He does dress in a DEVO outfit on his Friday Night "letting off steam" outings.

When the album was new I remember a radio station interview with Geddy and some lucky audience members. One of the attendees asked who the song was about and Geddy said it was someone he used to work with. Geddy mentioned his name but I never heard of the guy. I can’t remember the name now either. Geddy further explained that the guy, though peculiar, was an interesting person to be around. Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Speaking of characters, the song "Home On The Strange" describes a pretty unusual individual: "He's a Canadian icon/He sleeps with his clothes on/He likes to work with his hands/He's an apolitical man/And he doesn't like to change." Anyone in particular?

A: It was inspired by someone I worked with along the way. It is just somebody who had these very defined habits.

"He sleeps with a chainsaw." For real?

A: He actually does when he's camping!

It got me thinking of a type of Canadian that I have met, that is very upright, hard-working and not at all ambitious. It is just a character study in a way, but it got me thinking of that type of person, and how many of them I have met in my 40-odd years.

There's an ambiguity in the lyrics, though ...

A: Oh no, I think these are the characters that make up the human race. I am all for this guy. He is part of our fabric. You need that in the context of whatever else we have in terms of personalities we live with. It is not a criticism. It is an odd thing to look at, but to me, it is the individuals who make up a country and the unique characters that make the world go round.

You want to tell me who the song is about?

A: Nah. I don't want to embarrass him.

Does he know you wrote a song about him?

A: He will when he hears it. It's too much fun not to say.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/20001108jam.htm

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

Speaking of characters, the song "Home On The Strange" describes a pretty unusual individual: "He's a Canadian icon/He sleeps with his clothes on/He likes to work with his hands/He's an apolitical man/And he doesn't like to change." Anyone in particular?

A: It was inspired by someone I worked with along the way. It is just somebody who had these very defined habits.

It got me thinking of a type of Canadian that I have met, that is very upright, hard-working and not at all ambitious. It is just a character study in a way, but it got me thinking of that type of person, and how many of them I have met in my 40-odd years.

A: Oh no, I think these are the characters that make up the human race. I am all for this guy. He is part of our fabric. You need that in the context of whatever else we have in terms of personalities we live with. It is not a criticism. It is an odd thing to look at, but to me, it is the individuals who make up a country and the unique characters that make the world go round.

That excerpt has a bit of a different answer than what I heard. I heard a full recording of the interview I was referring to (recorded in Philly or thereabouts). The only reason I have it is because someone I knew through the old My Favorite Headache website was lucky enough to be at the radio station interview and got a full recording. She then burned it and mailed it to me. IF I still have it, it could be in some old closet of mine or lost in a move.

• Like 1

I wonder if the song is about musician Mendelson Joe.

Mendelson Joe opened for RUSH on some dates of the 'Caress Of Steel' tour.

The story is when Geddy Lee heard the master tapes of Joe's then upcoming 1988 album, Born To Cuddle, he encouraged Anthem Records to release it. Here's one of the songs from Born To Cuddle titled 'Alien'.

Later on Geddy played bass on two songs 'I Nominate Dr. David' and 'Some Dumb Machine' on Mendelson Joe's 1992 album Women Are The Only Hope.

Mendelson Joe is an eccentric and interesting character and made an appearance on the Rick Mercer Report in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25bDzvZsRE

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

That excerpt has a bit of a different answer than what I heard. I heard a full recording of the interview I was referring to (recorded in Philly or thereabouts). The only reason I have it is because someone I knew through the old My Favorite Headache website was lucky enough to be at the radio station interview and got a full recording. She then burned it and mailed it to me. IF I still have it, it could be in some old closet of mine or lost in a move.

Yea I knew my quote was from a different source. Just thought it was interesting that in this particular instance he chose not to name the individual.

When the album was new I remember a radio station interview with Geddy and some lucky audience members. One of the attendees asked who the song was about and Geddy said it was someone he used to work with. Geddy mentioned his name but I never heard of the guy. I can’t remember the name now either. Geddy further explained that the guy, though peculiar, was an interesting person to be around.

Was that WMMR in Philly? That's a pretty cool interview CD. I was thinking of the world premiere and totally forgot about the WMMR CD. It was only originally given to the fans that were at that interview.