Do you have sleep apnea?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, do you wear a CPAP/BiPAP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  3. 3. Do you snore?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Only when I sleep with someone else who isn't a deep sleeper.

So I got a letter from the Ear, Nose and Throat dept updating my Dr on what he found regarding my snoring.

He has referred me for sleep studies. Just waiting for the appointment.

It also turns out that I DO have a deviated septum and something called "hypertrophic turbinates" - according to ye olde Google that means I have enlarged tubes in my nose, or as Gilby put it: Fat Nostrils.

I called it Tardis Nose as it's bigger on the inside!

:LOL: Love the Tardis joke! (as long as your nose doesn't have to be blue on the outside!). I hope you don't have to wait too long for the follow up. :hug2:

Thanks Blueschica!! :hug2:

• Like 2

So I got a letter from the Ear, Nose and Throat dept updating my Dr on what he found regarding my snoring.

It also turns out that I DO have a deviated septum and something called "hypertrophic turbinates" - according to ye olde Google that means I have enlarged tubes in my nose, or as Gilby put it: Fat Nostrils.

Turbinates are folds that extend from the sides of the nasal sinus. They tend to sweal whenever you get congested and is one of the reasons you can't breath through your nose when you're sick or have allergies. So enlarged turbinates could be a temporary condition. But they could be a chronic problem as well.

What does your doctor recommend?

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

Diagnosed last month with obstructive sleep apnea. Was using nasal dilators to alleviate snoring with pretty good results but ENT put me on a CPAP for now. Likely that if I lose about 20 lbs I can come off it as my head position would change and he can evaluate again. CPAP is the worst thing ever IMO but I haven't snored at all with it on and haven't dropped dead in my sleep....
  • Like 1

Turbinates are folds that extend from the sides of the nasal sinus. They tend to sweal whenever you get congested and is one of the reasons you can't breath through your nose when you're sick or have allergies. So enlarged turbinates could be a temporary condition. But they could be a chronic problem as well.

What does your doctor recommend?

Nothing so far. I think he wants to see the outcome of the sleep study.

Btw, I had my sleep study date come through. I've got an appointment at the hospital on 8th October. They will give me a machine and instructions to take home, which will need to be returned to them the next day.

Gilby has said he will drop the machine back for me - he works at the hospital.

They will analyse the data and report back to the ENT Dr.

• Like 1

When I had my sleep study, it was done at the Reichert building...Yup, I slept there for 8 hrs...

rMDzeD6.gif

Tonight's the night for my sleep study. :unsure:

At least you will know more information afterwards than when you started- I hope it all goes well for you! :)

Me TOO!

rMDzeD6.gif

• Like 1

At least you will know more information afterwards than when you started- I hope it all goes well for you! :)

Me TOO!

rMDzeD6.gif

Thank you! :)

So I went to bed at usual time and we hooked me up to the monitor. There were two devices one tube with two mini tubes that go up your nose and a heart rate monitor that you put on your finger.

It took me ages to settle -nervousness maybe?

I did sleep but not as deeply as I normally do and I don't feel refreshed. And when my alarm went off it turned out that the finger monitor had become unplugged from the main unit - This might have happened when I got up.

All we can do is return the unit and see what they say. I might have to go through another test.

• Like 2

Me TOO!

rMDzeD6.gif

So I went to bed at usual time and we hooked me up to the monitor. There were two devices one tube with two mini tubes that go up your nose and a heart rate monitor that you put on your finger.

I did sleep but not as deeply as I normally do and I don't feel refreshed. And when my alarm went off it turned out that the finger monitor had become unplugged from the main unit - This might have happened when I got up.

All we can do is return the unit and see what they say. I might have to go through another test.

Yeah, but in the end, you'll feel WAY better! I do!

CFqwtQ9.gif

• Like 1

Me TOO!

rMDzeD6.gif

Yeah, but in the end, you'll feel WAY better! I do!

CFqwtQ9.gif

I hope so! :)

• Like 2

Got my follow up appointment on 24th November. A Saturday.

It's at the Ear, Nose and Throat dept., not Cardio, which leads us to think they're going to say, "It's not apnea, it's your nostrils".

Got my follow up appointment on 24th November. A Saturday.

It's at the Ear, Nose and Throat dept., not Cardio, which leads us to think they're going to say, "It's not apnea, it's your nostrils".

Hope things go well, Lyndsey!

AiDQYcq.gif

• Like 1

I think I have life apnea, what am I supposed to do with that?

I have, since this reply librarian, come to realize that we humans, can literally 'WHAT IF' ourselves to ruin. Take a positive look into your situation, and keep looking until you find the answer! I was suffering up til this morning on such a situation myself, and have JUST arrived at a solution! You Have to take your situation, and keep feeding POSITIVE ATTITUDE in until an answer slaps you in the noggin! So, good luck, and keep on pluggin' on til the answer Pokes into your consciousness!

luxHzTo.png

• Like 1

With all the recent drama I forgot to update:

I'm to have another sleep test on Tuesday.

It's strange to me, because I had only that one over night sleep test...that must be a very tedious job. Watching somebody sleep, and keeping a log of how many times they display the apnea condition...I remember the techs that were watching me mention that I was close to the highest number of occurances they'd seen in a long time....

I feel much better now, I feel you will too!

NAGAdFC.gif