Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?

Texas King

Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of debuts: Van Halen vs Montrose?

• Van Halen S/T(1978)
    • Montrose(1973)

"MAS TEQUILA!"

Not bad.

I saw the Sammy Hagar/Montrose Tour in Concord with my dad! It was awesome!

I thought it was amazing that MONTROSE headlined over Sammy's bland. I mean band.

I saw a show at Tahoe and it was killer, but Sammy headlined.

Hagar's solo album with Where Eagles Fly isn't too bad.

Oh...guess where I'm going in September.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL8yWpUPMCY

:dweez:

Ok my friend. I have no filter and I am very opinionated but I will admit "Where Eagles Dare," shit that's Maiden sorry. "Where Eagles Fly" is ok. After all Eddie Van Halen plays bass on that record.

So yes, it's ok.

What are we going to type about on here in ten years goose?

We are all encyclopedias of ROCK!

We who are regulars on here keep this Forum alive. Rush is done and yet we keep on keeping on. Sharing and learning and being FUN!

It's all about the music for me. I love taking risks. I love pushing the envelope.

All good.

I'm worried about the future of rock and roll, yet at the same time we all have our comfort zones of music we will cherish and listen to for the rest of our lives.

I will listen to Van Halen and RUSH until I'm 100 years young. If I can make it that far!

I will be in my 90's cranking GHOST.

Am I crazy?

Labels are for the weak.

I know who I am. I love myself and many.

"Carry On My Wayward Son!"

Sammy is better than you think. Van Hagar was great, he's got a bunch of good songs from his solo days, and Montrose was good. Chickenfoot, on the other hand...that sucked.

Standing Hampton.

The album, not the erection.

That is a great album.

I enjoy the Van Hagar material as well, although it's a totally different band. I like the Chickenfoot albums too, And, it must be said, Sammy sounds way better with The Circle live than Dave does now. The VH live album is painful to listen to at times. VH with Dave live was about the event, not Dave's vocal performance. With a live album all you have is the performance.

• Like 2

Sammy is better than you think. Van Hagar was great, he's got a bunch of good songs from his solo days, and Montrose was good. Chickenfoot, on the other hand...that sucked.

Standing Hampton.

The album, not the erection.

That is a great album.

I enjoy the Van Hagar material as well, although it's a totally different band. I like the Chickenfoot albums too, And, it must be said, Sammy sounds way better with The Circle live than Dave does now. The VH live album is painful to listen to at times. VH with Dave live was about the event, not Dave's vocal performance. With a live album all you have is the performance.

Very much so. Heck, half the time Dave didn't even bother singing all the lyrics. :LOL:

Even though Standing Hampton has quite a few of Hagar's most well known solo songs, I rarely listen to them. Overplayed classic rock staples, I guess.

I liked Marching to Mars quite a bit when that came out, and I still like the majority of that record a lot.

I Don't Need Love is a great car song, and I am also rather fond of Eagles Fly, Red, TransAm, Reckless and Two Sides of Love.

• Like 1

Even though Standing Hampton has quite a few of Hagar's most well known solo songs, I rarely listen to them. Overplayed classic rock staples, I guess.

I liked Marching to Mars quite a bit when that came out, and I still like the majority of that record a lot.

I Don't Need Love is a great car song, and I am also rather fond of Eagles Fly, Red, TransAm, Reckless and Two Sides of Love.

"Red" is my all time favorite Sammy song!

• Like 1

I like Sammy Hagar, but there something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way. He seems a little full of himself, like a person who is not as cool as they think they are.

Anyway, I like his self-titled second solo album. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I like Sammy Hagar, but there something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way. He seems a little full of himself, like a person who is not as cool as they think they are.

Anyway, I like his self-titled second solo album. Good stuff.

FISHBONE!

• Like 1

Speaking of early Van Halen though I found this awesome cardboard jewel case Van Halen in my collection tonight! It's Van Halen live in 1977 at Magic Mountain! I used to love going to Magic Mountain when I was a kid back then! UGH! I would have LOVED to have seen Van Halen play there!

Same amusement park where they filmed that awesome cheesy KISS flick, "KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park." 1978! One year after Van Halen played there! UGH!

Of course National Lampoon's "Vacation" was also shot there! EPIC!

VAN HALEN RULES!

SAMMY SLAM SALMON HALEN DROOLS!!!!

I can't even get through a poppy Van Hagar Greatest Shits album! Some B-sides do kick ass. "All Fired Up" is one of them.

• Like 1

A rock star acting full of himself? INCONCEIVABLE!!!

I get it. But there's something about Sammy Hagar that seems a little out of sync with the usual rock star arrogance.

Absolutely!!!

Humans would probably say the same thing about David Lee Roth and his arrogance! Don't care because Diamond Dave blows Pyrite Sammy away!!

Give me David every day of the week!

Even David's first three and a half albums are masterpieces!

"Crazy From The Heat"

"Eat Em And Smile"

"Skyscraper"

"A Little Ain't Enough" Jason Becker shredded on that album!!

God I love David Lee Roth! I was lucky enough to see both "Eat Em And Smile" and "Skyscraper" tours!! Shit! Thanks Rush Forum! Now I have to put those albums on tonight!!!

Speaking of early Van Halen though I found this awesome cardboard jewel case Van Halen in my collection tonight! It's Van Halen live in 1977 at Magic Mountain! I used to love going to Magic Mountain when I was a kid back then! UGH! I would have LOVED to have seen Van Halen play there!

Same amusement park where they filmed that awesome cheesy KISS flick, "KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park." 1978! One year after Van Halen played there! UGH!

Don't forget the movie "Rollercoaster"!

I once rode the Revolution ten times in a row.

• Like 1

Hahaha! I have "Rollercoaster" on blu-ray! Yes! I loved the Revolution! I haven't been to Magic Mountain in decades! I miss it! Remember the Jet Stream?

Hahaha! I have "Rollercoaster" on blu-ray! Yes! I loved the Revolution! I haven't been to Magic Mountain in decades! I miss it! Remember the Jet Stream?

Oh yeah!
  • Like 1

Oh yeah!

So fun! I miss the late Seventies and early 80's! The Apex of music and mankind. LOL!