Tony Romo Retires

JohnRogers

Smart move. He was one hit away from being done anyway.

Yeah that is exactly the dilemma, the talent to win the big one but one more injury could lead to permanent damage.

"The talent to win the big one?" Seriously?

Romo had the same physical and mental attributes of a Tom Brady.

In the same way that Jeff George and Drew Henson and Matt Leinart did? Isn't the knock on Romo that he can't win in the playoffs?

Yep. Plenty of guys in the past supposedly had all the "tools" but couldn't win squat. The three you mentioned here and plenty more. Some are just special PERIOD...

Yeah that is exactly the dilemma, the talent to win the big one but one more injury could lead to permanent damage.

In the same way that Jeff George and Drew Henson and Matt Leinart did? Isn't the knock on Romo that he can't win in the playoffs?

Yep. Plenty of guys in the past supposedly had all the "tools" but couldn't win squat. The three you mentioned here and plenty more. Some are just special PERIOD...

Nice to see you Narps. Hope all has been well.

• Like 1

Nice to see you Narps. Hope all has been well.

Thanks so much. Lots of changes in my life and some ups and downs but moving forward. Cheers :cheers:
  • Like 1

From a current article by Jeff Sullivan:

I have many, many times written about how underappreciated Romo was. Those three 8-8 teams stand out for me because the overwhelming majority, both nationally and locally, media and fans alike, view them as a disappointment, talk and write about them as a failure against Romo. Here’s the reality: Those teams weren’t good. The defenses were terrible and the offensive line was rebuilding. It’s one of the great accomplishments in franchise history that those teams never played a game that didn’t have playoff implications.

Over that three-year stretch, three NFL quarterbacks completed 65 percent of their passes, threw at least 90 touchdown passes and tossed fewer than 40 interceptions: Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Romo. The combined record for the former duo was 57-15. For me, common sense says that Romo played at a high enough level those three years to have that kind of winning percentage, nearly 80 percent. It was just those around him, including a defense he had zero control over, weren’t good enough.

In some ways, we have all failed these last 24 hours, myself included. The storyline here should be what Romo has accomplished, how he represented this franchise, even last season when it could have been handled much differently, the pain he played through, and really, the absurdness of his story: Undrafted free agent signed for $10,000 to making nine figures as the longtime face of America’s Team. That’s some magical stuff.

I have many, many times written about how underappreciated Romo was. Those three 8-8 teams stand out for me because the overwhelming majority, both nationally and locally, media and fans alike, view them as a disappointment, talk and write about them as a failure against Romo. Here’s the reality: Those teams weren’t good. The defenses were terrible and the offensive line was rebuilding. It’s one of the great accomplishments in franchise history that those teams never played a game that didn’t have playoff implications.

Over that three-year stretch, three NFL quarterbacks completed 65 percent of their passes, threw at least 90 touchdown passes and tossed fewer than 40 interceptions: Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Romo. The combined record for the former duo was 57-15. For me, common sense says that Romo played at a high enough level those three years to have that kind of winning percentage, nearly 80 percent. It was just those around him, including a defense he had zero control over, weren’t good enough.

In some ways, we have all failed these last 24 hours, myself included. The storyline here should be what Romo has accomplished, how he represented this franchise, even last season when it could have been handled much differently, the pain he played through, and really, the absurdness of his story: Undrafted free agent signed for $10,000 to making nine figures as the longtime face of America’s Team. That’s some magical stuff.

8-8 teams having games with playoff implications doesn't speak to the greatness of the QB, it speaks to the shiftiness of the other teams in the conference.

Turned on radio earlier and heard talking heads referring to his great career. Still trying to figure that one out. What great career. Say what you will about Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, etc but at least they had some nice playoff wins under their names. Romo hasn't done jack shit. You think they would have had the season they did last year with a healthy romo? I don't.

For the bulk of his career he ran for his life. Only in the last three years is when he had protection and the damage was already done.

Turned on radio earlier and heard talking heads referring to his great career. Still trying to figure that one out. What great career. Say what you will about Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, etc but at least they had some nice playoff wins under their names. Romo hasn't done jack shit. You think they would have had the season they did last year with a healthy romo? I don't.

With that team last year? A healthy Romo would have done more than Prescott. Many years Romo didn't have much around him and he was forced to throw 50 times a game.

BTW I'm not a Dallas fan.

We each have an opinion and we'll never know who is right. I just find that tony always seemed to make the bone head play at the most inopportune times.

Well, he was a big Brett Favre fan..... :P

I saw every game of his career. With that team last year and IF healthy they would have had a real shot at the Super Bowl. There were always a lot of Romo haters. The guy had some very high profile blunders, but only because the Cowboys are in the public eye so much. 2007 was not his fault they didn't go farther. When you hit your receiver right on the money for the winning TD against the Giants and he drops it, what else can he do?? For years he carried that team. Some of the 8-8 seasons he was surrounded by backups. He will never get the respect he deserves from many who watch highlights. I will remember one of the greatest QB's my team has ever had.

Exactly.

8-8 teams having games with playoff implications doesn't speak to the greatness of the QB, it speaks to the shiftiness of the other teams in the conference.

You don't know much about what went on during those years then. He carried the team on his back for several years.
  • Like 1

All things being equal I'd take Tony Romo over Troy Aikman.

No way!! :LOL:

Aikman agrees with me. ;)

He's just being nice. ;)

Aikman, 3-0 in the Superbowl and in the hall of fame.

Romo, no Superbowl and won't make into the hall of fame. Unless it's corruption. :LOL:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

He's just being nice. ;)

Romo, no Superbowl and won't make into the hall of fame. Unless it's corruption. :LOL:

Good grief. Romo couldn't carry Aikman's jock...
  • Like 2

He's just being nice. ;)

The idea of Romo being in the Hall of Fame is beyond comical. If he gets in, there are so many players you simply couldn't justify keeping out.

• Like 3