Rush- Look to electronic music (EDM, House) for inspiration/ideas

GeminiRising79

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

I know you think you're sounding edgy and plugged in by writing that but it's really just ridiculous.

Your one sentence pretty much sums up my last two posts of 30 or so sentences :LOL:

• Like 1

Neil's not going anywhere. All of you who believe this are being played. Its called marketing 101, ffs.

Looking toward electronic music isnt as preposterous as it seems. Fact is, imo, Rush is having difficulty producing music that is different, stirring, or interesting....again, imo. Certainly wouldnt hurt to explore the current stuff thats out there.

No doubt in my mind they can find fresh inspiration if they dig deep enough. Again, im not suggesting that they produce edm songs...just observe the dynamics of the music. I have listened to Rush and other rock acts since the mid-70s. Recently, I needed to move on from all of that because it has become stale to me, and many acts trying to produce have hit the wall musically. Electro music is invigorating and stirring....some of it is outstanding and deep, and im talking about the non-mainstream stuff.

If Rush are smart, they would consider any newer forms of music to take inspiration from (and electro or techno music has been going since the late 70s...ive been a follower of it since that time).

Well, Rush has been influenced by new wave and dance music in the past. Bringing in other ideas is nothing new to them. And Geddy and Alex may continue to be influenced by other genres in their future work. But Rush can't really be influenced by anything anymore since they no longer exist.

My only concern is that they're probably too unmotivated and tired of the beaten into the ground routine they've been on for decades. Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

If you look at it as "watching people play instruments", then yes, that might be tedious - now, or at any time

But what makes a live performance special and inspiring for me is the fact that I am part of it - and that the performer is not simply playing an instrument, but they are creating a moment and performing what could be considered a sort of communication, meant to inspire us ..

I know, this might sound rambling or corny ... but part of what makes a musician great is not simply what they can do, but what they can do for me ..

That's the way it's always been, even though I am realizing the magnitude of it more and more now

There's a certain surge or inspiration and electricity with live performances, and it shouldn't matter it a person is playing an instrument or not .... If they are doing something you connect with, that's what matters

Oh definitely. Any band can have onstage charisma and rapport. But most of the laptop bands I've seen* have been lacking that. Who knows if that's because they're "playing" a computer, or maybe they play a computer because they don't want to have to interact with the audience, but there does seem to be a correlation between that sort of band and the lack of rapport. I do think it's much easier to be charismatic and establish rapport when you can move around the stage and have eye contact with your audience, and this is probably a big part of the reason drummers have little audience connection.

*Underworld is one of the few purely electronic bands I've seen that do put on a really good show. A large part of that is the visual element that goes along with their show, but for whatever reason, they were entertaining enough for me to have seen them live several times.

In regards to your second paragraph, same here. I was at a music festival and one of the groups had no musicians/instruments just three female vocalists...and even they were lip syncing. I was pleased (in a bastard way) that by the third song there was a technical glitch and they couldn't do a thing. They were just standing there in their dumb, glitzy costumes until the non-instruments were fixed. I left during that glitch to get falafel and beer and came back when the next group took the stage.

:LOL:

This group btw:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(Japanese_band)

My friends wanted to check them out. I endured them up until that glitch but my friends stayed for the entire set.

Epilogue: When I caught up with them, one said that he should've left with me. :LOL:

• Like 1

I know you think you're sounding edgy and plugged in by writing that but it's really just ridiculous.

Sorry, but that's your level of thinking, not mine. I am done with live instrumental performances. I just don't see the magic in it anymore. Feel like I've evolved out of it. Traditional musical instruments have been tapped out. There's nothing left to do that's innovative or different. Largely, its the end of the line for this modality of music production, imo.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Sorry, but that's your level of thinking, not mine. I am done with live instrumental performances. I just don't see the magic in it anymore. Feel like I've evolved out of it. Traditional musical instruments have been tapped out. There's nothing left to do that's innovative or different. Largely, its the end of the line for this modality of music production, imo.

"Evolved"?! "EVOLVED"?!

"Tapped out"?!

"Nothing left to do that's innovative or different"?!

• Like 1

That's one of the most depressing things I've ever heard http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0149.gif
  • Like 3

I can't tell if GR79 is just doing a superlative troll job or is serious.

Even in my 50s and having been listening to/watching live music for 40 years now there are few things that I get more enjoyment out in life of than watching good musicians play live, whether it's original music, bar bands, tribute bands.

• Like 3

If it wasn't for musicians how would DJs have anything to sample or spin?

• Like 2

Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

Maybe Rush is the wrong band for you?

• Like 4

What makes you think "DJs" aren't musicians? I think you don't understand the modern definition of "DJ", no disrespect intended.

What makes you think "DJs" aren't musicians? I think you don't understand the modern definition of "DJ", no disrespect intended.

I'm surprised the very term "musician" isn't archaic to you. Surely DJs have evolved beyond using the same word that's used to define guitar bass and drum Homo Habilis types. Perhaps, DJs should be called Electronic Instrumentalist Titans or Homo Instrumentalists.

Although some DJs are also musicians, disk jockeys, by definition, are people who play recordings. Yes, there is a very small percentage of DJs who create art out of spinning as they mix various songs into unique soundscapes. However, DJs are not creating the songs they spin. If they did, they would be called musicians.

• Like 1

Geez, I can't even entertain the idea of watching people play musical instruments anymore...seems so archaic, bygone, im afraid to say :(

I will always love Rush and their music. I doubt I will ever see them (or anyone else) play live again unless its Rush at an intimate historical venue like Massey hall. At this point it would only be interesting to have a conversation with them (which I know will never happen).

• Like 1

I'm surprised the very term "musician" isn't archaic to you. Surely DJs have evolved beyond using the same word that's used to define guitar bass and drum Homo Habilis types. Perhaps, DJs should be called Electronic Instrumentalist Titans or Homo Instrumentalists.

I'd never say instrumental musicians are archaic. Just the traditional instruments they play are, imo.

Eventually all traditional musical instruments will be relegated to playing second fiddle (no pun) to electronic music.

"traditional musical instruments" are being played in massive numbers today hundreds of years after they were introducd, and will continue to do so fur hundreds more.

Electronic "music" is but a tiny blip in the history of music thus far, and may or may not flourish, but certainly the track record for "traditional instruments" would suggest that they will be around for a long long time to come.

I mean, SOMEONE has to create the art that the DJ community can leech off of.

• Like 2

"traditional musical instruments" are being played in massive numbers today hundreds of years after they were introducd, and will continue to do so fur hundreds more.

Electronic "music" is but a tiny blip in the history of music thus far, and may or may not flourish, but certainly the track record for "traditional instruments" would suggest that they will be around for a long long time to come.

Sure, there will always be ppl who will play instruments. Just like those who still play board games, rather than computer games. Also, who thought electronic paddle shifters would cause the extinction of manual drive ones? Never wouldve believed my cars would have them. Would I ever go back to driving manual? Not a chance! (Ok, perhaps if I bought an old exotic!)

As far as electronic music being just a blip, you are mistaken. Electronic music has been around longer than Rush has, and will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time. Ive been listening to it with great interest since the mid-70s.

And, btw- historically-speaking, who in the music industry never stole or sampled music from other people? Each member of Rush certainly did!

Edited by GeminiRising79

Sure, there will always be ppl who will play instruments. Just like those who still play board games, rather than computer games. Also, who thought electronic paddle shifters would cause the extinction of manual drive ones? Never wouldve believed my cars would have them. Would I ever go back to driving manual? Not a chance! (Ok, perhaps if I bought an old exotic!)

As far as electronic music being just a blip, you are mistaken. Electronic music has been around longer than Rush has, and will predominate most all genres of music from now til the end of time. Ive been listening to it with great interest since the mid-70s.

And, btw- historically-speaking, who in the music industry never stole or sampled music from other people? Each member of Rush certainly did!

Gemini, I was with you early on, but now you are getting ridiculous - I have been a fan going back to of Tangerine Dream, Giorgio Moroder, Isao Tomita, Kraftwerk, etc ... I even love Hatsune Miku

But there is nothing that will ever replace a human getting their emotions out using a tangible musical instrument ..

And until the government somehow removes adrenaline from the human body, driving a stick will always be the best way to go

• Like 1

I'm getting tired of the same old boring emotions that people express. I think I'd rather live with robots.

:LOL:

I'm going into evolve into a metal chassis and leave this archaic flesh of mine. And who needs feelings and emotions when someone can program me to imitate those feelings and emotions?

• Like 1

e93d05b3588c1d718dc6ef2d9ed34350.jpg

so i was really p.o.'d when i got my paper back and u better believe i'll be going to talk to that professor. anyways i think for the party on sat i'll be able to pick you up and do you know what u r wearing yet? i'm thinking i'll bring a bottle of jack and get shitfaced man. so i'm just heading home now and i think maybe i'll order a pizza and maybe watch some tube later and o f**k i'm getting hit by a bus

• Like 2

e93d05b3588c1d718dc6ef2d9ed34350.jpg

I see that everywhere every day every generation

It's tragic, really

I think the worst is at a restaurant, when I see a couple waiting for their food, each glued to their phone, oblivious of the other ..

• Like 1