• Conan the Barbarian
    • The Terminator
    • Commando
    • Predator
    • The Running Man
    • Total Recall
    • something else from Sly
    • something else from Ahnold

Stallone can actually emote in a way that is natural. His breakdown in First Blood is pretty compelling, and his performance in Copland I think is pretty good too. Swarzznegger's acting is just . . . off. It's telling that his best performance is as an android, where they actually play on the T2's attempts to blend in with humans. I think the muscles in his face are probably much like the muscles in the rest of his body, pumped up, but he can't seem to control them. I will say that as he's aged he seems to have found some subtlety and nuance. Some.

I know that "acting" was not the focus of your poll, but . . . maybe I just can't separate it.

See, I probably think his best performance was in Conan the Barbarian. He was perfect for that role. T1 would be my second from him...I could convince myself it's the best 30-40% of the time though.

As far as separating acting from "best movie", yeah it's hard to separate them. It makes sense that the best movie would be affected by the acting.

T1 vs T2

I'm in the minority and think T1 is better...

1) Ahnold is better as a villain in this series.

2) Edward Furlong? Tough kid? He's an annoying little punk. His stupid voice bothers me in this scene...

Terminator: Dyson!

John: She's gonna blow him away! We've gotta go! We've gotta help!

3) The 'thumb up' scene when the T-Ahnold sacrifices himself is a bit corny.

Having said that, it's not like I think T2 is bad. It's great. I'd grade them like this:

T1...A

T2...A-

And why didn't you guys vote "something else by Ahnold" if you think T2 is the best? Same goes for anyone who liked something else by Ahnold OR Sly.

:blaze:

If you consider that T2 had a huge budget where T1 did not, then it's really quite impressive how good T1 was. I agree with JB in that Arnold makes a better bad terminator. My opinion is that he was born to play the terminator in T1. Arnold's acting style is kind of stiff and robotic so it works well for him.

T1 vs T2

2) Edward Furlong? Tough kid? He's an annoying little punk. His stupid voice bothers me in this scene...

Having said that, it's not like I think T2 is bad. It's great. I'd grade them like this:

T1...A

T2...A-

And why didn't you guys vote "something else by Ahnold" if you think T2 is the best? Same goes for anyone who liked something else by Ahnold OR Sly.

If you consider that T2 had a huge budget where T1 did not, then it's really quite impressive how good T1 was. I agree with JB in that Arnold makes a better bad terminator. My opinion is that he was born to play the terminator in T1. Arnold's acting style is kind of stiff and robotic so it works well for him.

That being said, I think Arnold learned to act as he made more movies. Even though I said he was born to play the terminator, I think he did a much better job acting in his later movies.

I loved this scene with Bill Paxton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3ikC40mq8

Don't get me wrong, Arnold still isn't what I would call a good actor, but he improved a lot as he did more movies.

T1 vs T2

T1...A

T2...A-

I also think The Terminator is a better movie. It's based on an appreciation I have for sci-fi b-movies. I remember walking out of the movie theater blown away by the story, as derivative as it is.

Got to admit, but his "She's gonna blow him away!" bit made me want to :bitchslap: him....!

• Like 1

T1 vs T2

T1...A

T2...A-

:yes:

Regarding the budgets....

T1 cost $6.4 million to make. T2's budget was $102 million which was a TON in '91.

I completely agree with "he was born to play Terminator" thought. Funnily, OJ Simpson had been considered to play the Terminator but they didn't think audiences would believe him as a villain :LOL:

Then there's T3...there are only two things that are impressive about that movie: (1) The female Terminator's rump of course and (2) Ahnold who was in his mid-50s at the time had nearly the EXACT same body measurements as he did in T1 (which was 19 years earlier). Since Terminator's a cyborg, they believed Ahnold HAD TO have the exact same (or as close as possible) muscle proportions, etc as he had in the first two flicks. That amount of dedication is nuts if you think about it. But if anyone could've done it, it was Ahnold

• Like 1

T1 vs T2

T1...A

T2...A-

I also think The Terminator is a better movie. It's based on an appreciation I have for sci-fi b-movies. I remember walking out of the movie theater blown away by the story, as derivative as it is.

Got to admit, but his "She's gonna blow him away!" bit made me want to :bitchslap: him....!

There's another scene in which I wanted :bitchslap: Furlong. It's towards the beginning and he's walking out on his foster parents. His foster mother tells him to get back inside and clean his room but he keeps walking to his motorbike. Then his foster father tells him something like "John, listen to your mother!" He looks back and says "She's not my mom Todd!" :bitchslap: Yeah I know his character is supposed to be a wise ass punk but he's more in the realm of "annoying teen actor" to me :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

• Like 1

T1 vs T2

T1...A

T2...A-

There's another scene in which I wanted :bitchslap: Furlong. It's towards the beginning and he's walking out on his foster parents. His foster mother tells him to get back inside and clean his room but he keeps walking to his motorbike. Then his foster father tells him something like "John, listen to your mother!" He looks back and says "She's not my mom Todd!" :bitchslap: Yeah I know his character is supposed to be a wise ass punk but he's more in the realm of "annoying teen actor" to me :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

My favorite is "Did you call moi a dipshit?". It's something only a complete dipshit would say.

Edited by Stormtron
  • Like 1

T1 vs T2

T1...A

T2...A-

My favorite is "Did you call moi a dipshit?". It's something only a complete dipshit would say.

Forgot about that one! But I definitely remember it now. That dipshit! :bitchslap:

• Like 1

First Blood. Excellent story that actually makes a serious point.

And sly actually did some good acting at the very end when he was talking to Trautman before turning himself in.

I think Rocky is the best movie on the list above. Another movie that also had a great sequel.

Another Sly movie that is not on the list but is worth mentioning is Nighthawks. Good movie with a twist ending.

I think Sly can make a better film, but Arnold makes better popcorn movies. The fact that Sly can rise to the occasion and actually act, write and direct gives him the edge. But certain Arnold movies are more fun. Bottom line, both are great movie stars.

I think Sly can make a better film, but Arnold makes better popcorn movies. The fact that Sly can rise to the occasion and actually act, write and direct gives him the edge. But certain Arnold movies are more fun. Bottom line, both are great movie stars.

I agree. I think Sly is a better actor and more versatile but they both make entertaining movies that I can watch over and over again.
  • Like 1

And sly actually did some good acting at the very end when he was talking to Trautman before turning himself in.

I think Rocky is the best movie on the list above. Another movie that also had a great sequel.

Another Sly movie that is not on the list but is worth mentioning is Nighthawks. Good movie with a twist ending.

Yeah, Nighthawks is a good one. And I just saw it (again) a few weeks back...it holds up after all these years. I didn't include it in the poll for space sake. I also didn't think anyone would've voted for it.

Yeah, Nighthawks is a good one. And I just saw it (again) a few weeks back...it holds up after all these years. I didn't include it in the poll for space sake. I also didn't think anyone would've voted for it.

Yeah I get why you left it out. I suspected that not many people would remember it or had ever seen it which is why I wanted to mention it. I love Rutger Hauer as a villain.
  • Like 1

Yeah I get why you left it out. I suspected that not many people would remember it or had ever seen it which is why I wanted to mention it. I love Rutger Hauer as a villain.

Hauer for sure! In this. In Blade Runner of course. In The Hitcher.

I also liked him in Wanted: Dead or Alive. He wasn't a villain in that but he was a bad ass bounty hunter tasked to track down a terrorist played by Gene Simmons. "f**k the bonus!" :LOL:

Fun stuff!

• Like 1