PESTO! uh, i mean, PRESTO!

Grapes_under_pressure

Roll the Bones

Test For Echo

Ok, so this is my Presto review!

Let's get started.

Show don't Tell: i've had this for awhile, i think i got it form the chronicles disk set. it's definatly energetic. i remember the first time i tried to listen to the beat before the song starts, and then having a headache after the thing kicked in. laugh.gif the bass here is suplendous!!!! 653.gif wub.gif cool.gif and i lvoe the music video too. the lyrics are great too. gotta love that super cool bass 'solo', or fill, whatever you wanna call it. daym.... geddy... at 3.45, and onwards, there's this super cool thing alex does wit hthe guitar- it's one of my favourite rush sound bits.

Chain lightening: i love the synth, and the guitar, very like, 'pending' , waiting to strike out. at 22 seconds i love that funny wobbly sound! geddy sings this song superbly, there's alot of variety... and the lyrics are great!! i know that feeling, that moments like metoer showers are better shared with someone else, their recations- the whole song is about reactions, it's brilliant... 'this moment may be breif, but it can be so bright, reflected in another source of light, when the moment dies, the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes'... awww.... and OMFG what an amazingly origional solo. backwards!!!! and i love the synth break-down int othe solo.... 2.gif i really like this song. the end is unexpected.... THAT's NICE.... lmfao...

The Pass.... what can i say... this is a perfect song. the bass sounds sad, and sorrowful, the guitar sounds like it's crying, and the drums just fit so well... first time i have heard it non-live. and the lyrics.... heart.gif ai 1.41 there's a lovely synth in the background that carries on.... 'it's not as if this barracade, blocks the only road... it's not as if youre all alone, in wanting to explode', oh my, when i first heard that... this song is amazing. i'd been in dark places before, and since, thought about stuff like that... it may seem silly, but 'don't turn you're back and slam the door on me' really opened my eyes to how something like that would feel for other people... The solo... beautiful... thanks to this song, ill never do anything like that. what a beautiful song.

War Paint: nice idea and metaphore, war paint- how people feel like image makes them better, stronger, more able, like war paint does for warriors... and is that rupert hine i hear, towards the end 'boys and girls together, paint the mirror black' . ruper and geddy maybe, but i knew for sure it wasn't just geddy or geddy with alex. ruper's got a funny voice.... lol... i hate our image concious society. it sucks. 'to the beautiful and the wise, the mirror always lies'- i take that asin, to those who are really beautiful and wise, the mirror lies- as in, they don't see it themselves.

HEY! Scars: ooooooooh that bass..... omg i LOVE THIS SONG SO FRIGGIN MUCH.... and where have i heard that drum beat before biggrin.gif ? this song is just... i love when geddy says 'i get this feeling' and the chorus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daymn can any other geddy gal imagine a music video to this... ohmy.gif .... the lyrics.... are so amazing.... it's such an atmospheric song.... for me, it just puts me on the edge of my seat! , seriously 'i get this feeling' and that guitar work!!!!!!!!!!! hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH! this is definatly my favourite song on presto.... it needs to be longer.... at 3.10, 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif i was listening to this song in my room last night, as i went to sleep.. and it had such an amazing effect, it's so well crafted.... and i love the effect on geddy's voice, 'i get this feeling' and chorus, so powerful!!!!!

Presto: this is a wonderful song.... the lyrics really mean something to me, well, the verses particularly... 'i look down into a million houses.. and wonder what you're doing tonight'... 'i had a dream of a winter garden, a midnight rondevous (lol sp.????), silver blue and frozen silence... what a fool i was for you' wub.gif sad.gif .... anyway, the music, is brilliant, so kind of, dreamer-like, not dreamy, but optimistic... it's another beautiful song.... and with the sort of, exitement of scars seeping into the song as a listener it takes the feeling even further. it's a lovely, sweet song... i think it's got that.. tai-shan charm! biggrin.gif love the soloish fading into the end...

Superconductor: rupert hine has a weird voice. wacko.gif lol! i can see the point of this song. but i can't say that i like it as much as the rest of the album... i think of all the songs that i have heard of that alot of people don't like, (tai- shan, dog years, virtuality... etc..) superconductor, i like the least. but it has it's charms. i don't not like it, and it will probably grow on me... i like it when geddy sort of 'says' 'that's entertainment', i think i would listen to the song just for that part, lol. there's just something really irritating with the parts rupert hine does. why couldn't they keep aimee mann, eh? imagine her voice going superconductor, would make the song much more nicer. and in war paint. but in her own way. i'd rather the alex + geddy thing than rupert. ok maybe im going OTT... i just dont like his voice. laugh.gif

Anagram. i have always wondered what this song would be like. i love the way it flows, and the lyrics are genius- neil showing off! the chorus is fun, sticks in your head and you just wanna sing along. i also like the way that its a song with little lines of meaning, 'reasoning is partly insane' , 'image just an eyeless game' 'the saint is turing to sin', etc. and the lovely bright keys! 'lonely things like nights i find end finer with a friend', thats a great little line...

Red Tide: this was my first ever favourite rush song, back when i was first introduced. i was very lyric orieantated then, well, more than i am now. and the lyrics on Red tide are great. i beleive we need to take action, and stop killing the planet, even if we are only contributing to it... we still cut down forests and precious rainforest... amongst other stupid things we like to do... here's something embarrasing to admit. i don't liek robbie williams, but when i first heard this song (nature has some new plague, to run in our streets, more than any other line) i thought 'hey this guy sounds a bit like robbie williams'- rofl3.gif blush4.gif it's a weird experience to listen to a song in context with it's album, when youve had it for so long. there's an odd familiarity; the solo is grand. full of power!!! mmmm short and sweet!

Hand over Fist: gotta love the way this song flows. another song to stick i nyour head. and the jangly guitar. 'i thought i was ok alone, etc...' love how geddy sings there, you can hear emotion and that... hand over hand, i liek tha bit too. the lyrics are great... 'you talk as we walk along, never imagine i could be so wrong... how can we ever agree, like the rest of the world we grow further apart... holding my fist to my racing heart..'' brilliant. funny, the observation. paper over the stone, hand over fist, sort of deep... we don't need to fight, we need understanding- hand over hand is the strength of a common touch.' another charming song smile.gif

Avaliable Light: i have been looking forwards to this song, because i had reas on TRF about it somewhere, something good about it... powerful combination of piano and drums there... and geddy's singing is so passionate..... and surely, 'IN the avaliable light, surel that part is one of his highest hitting parts in his career? laugh.gif and i love that part of the song too- the build up, so powerful.... i liek the meaning... that you can be told, you can hear or see about things and places... but to really experience them, to really feel them... you have to be there in the flesh... yes.gif i agree!

i wasn't sure as i was about to write this review, what i thought of the whole album. there are some weak links, in places where they seem more noticeable- next to superfantasticlyawesome songs (warpaint next to scars, superconductor next to presto) but, they are the only ones really that dont make me go 'ooh super'. thinking about it now, i like presto more than test for echo. and avaliable light is the best last song out of test for echo and RTB. for some reason i thought the pass was on counterparts confused13.gif i guess i have this idea about countrparts, that you may or may not hear about in my reviwe depending on if counterparts is as good as i think it will be. because the pass is on this album, this album has to be one of my favourites- so im giving it number five, because i predict HYF will be my 3rd favourite and CP will be my 4th (don't ask why, but ... i get this feeling ... hee hee..). there's some really wonderful songs on this CD, scars, presto, hand over fist and avaliable light being my other favourites.

Presto: new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . i lvoe the cover. if rabbits could conjoure themselves out of hats, we'd have a world full of rabbits, lol!

Maybe you are annoying some people, but not me. Nice to read a bunch of positive stuff instead of (I won't name the original poster):

"I think on reflection Counterfarts is the "winner" here.

This steaming pile of turgid excrement is just about the absolute nadir of the entire Rush canon. The music is reasonably innoffensive, but these lyrics...Neil, what were you THINKING?????

Don't get me wrong, the subject matter is worthy , indeed even noble, but dealt with in such a cack-handed, abysmally incoherent way that almost defies description. Clumsy,clumsy, clumsy, a definite F minus on your report card Mr Peart!

Honestly, if ever I am unfortunate enough to be in the same room when this is playing I feel my teeth aching and my buttocks clenching with embarrassment

Dire beyond words......."

or

"Roll The Bones has to be one of the most worthless albums in my entire collection. It rises to the dizzy heights of mediocrity with Ghost of a chance, but the rest of it is utter bilge of epic proportions...."

or

"The terrible production notwithstanding, VT is simply a rather poor effort.

Even remastering it would at best polish rather dull gleam on a turd..... "

That's why I'm enjoying your posts.

Maybe you are annoying some people, but not me. Nice to read a bunch of positive stuff instead of (I won't name the original poster):

This steaming pile of turgid excrement is just about the absolute nadir of the entire Rush canon. The music is reasonably innoffensive, but these lyrics...Neil, what were you THINKING?????

Don't get me wrong, the subject matter is worthy , indeed even noble, but dealt with in such a cack-handed, abysmally incoherent way that almost defies description. Clumsy,clumsy, clumsy, a definite F minus on your report card Mr Peart!

Honestly, if ever I am unfortunate enough to be in the same room when this is playing I feel my teeth aching and my buttocks clenching with embarrassment

or

"Roll The Bones has to be one of the most worthless albums in my entire collection. It rises to the dizzy heights of mediocrity with Ghost of a chance, but the rest of it is utter bilge of epic proportions...."

or

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 31 2008, 04:53 AM)

or

or

if you wanna see praise wait till i review vapor trails. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif because i will biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

but i know what you mean. i like the motion of, 'if you have nothing nice to say.. don't say it' , but then again people are entitled to an opinion.

I don't have any problems with different opinions or criticism but I just don't always want to read it. At least for me on a personal level the band has given me so much inspiration and happiness for around 25 years now that I just have too much respect for them to call anything they do "utter bilge of epic proportions".

Someday, I'll find the time and capacity to do my own reviews and post them here.

Until then, keep 'em coming. Your reviews are very entertaining smile.gif

great review. i havnt listened to Presto for a year or so now, never was much of a fan. Now i kinda wanna go back and take a closer listen to it, so great job Grapes. Kudos

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nice one. Glad you enjoyed this album too. Personally I love Presto, Anagram is kind of a weak link but it isn't half bad and you can't really complain when it's on the same album as 'magic' ( laugh.gif ) like Presto and The Pass. My all time favourite on here has gotta be Available Light though... No... Hand Over Fist! No... Scars! Okay I give up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 30 2008, 10:53 PM)

or

or

They're British. That explains everything.

For all the flack Americans get, and this is my own experience here, I'm quite sure I've never been surrounded by more self-righteous, snobbish pricks than on European Rush sites. Not all, mind you...but there's this 1) really strong anti-American sentiment 2) washed down with this "if it didn't happen before 1976 it's shit" mentality. But don't hold that against them...it's just how their mothers reared them. tongue.gif

Don't want to derail your fine thread but since it was brought up....

Agree or not (and a few songs aside, I have), nice review(s)! smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 31 2008, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 30 2008, 10:53 PM)

or

or

They're British. That explains everything.

For all the flack Americans get, I'm quite sure I've never been surrounded by more self-righteous, snobbish pricks than on European Rush sites. Not all, mind you...but there's this really strong anti-American sentiment washed down with this "if it didn't happen before 1976 it's shit" mentality. But don't hold that against them...it's just how their mothers reared them.

Don't want to derail your fine thread but since it was brought up....

Agree or not (and a few songs aside, I have), nice review(s)! smile.gif

Whoa there, PD, there was no need for any of that.

And for all the anti-american sentiments you were talking about, there seems to be alot of anti-brit sentiments in your post.

Well broadly directed brother...and I said as much. But that's the truth of my experiences on European sites. Not here. Just speaking my mind about that in my post....and not personally directed at you or anyone specific here, so no offense intended. BUT that seems a prevailing attitude on those boards.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 31 2008, 08:10 AM)
Anyway, aside from PD's (accurate) ramblings, I'm really liking these reviews.

The positivity coming from them reminds me of when I first got into each album, and had nothing but good things to say about them. Unfortunately that's changed, but still.

I'm really anticipating your Vapor Trails review.

I'm looking forward to that one too MH. When I got back into Rush...or more accurately, got into them fully for the first time...VT was the first album I bought on my own journey. Curious to hear what you think of that one as well.

Again...fine reviews. I appreciate your positivity. It's refreshing.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 31 2008, 01:08 PM)
Well broadly directed brother...and I said as much. But that's the truth of my experiences on European sites. Not here. Just speaking my mind about that in my post....and not personally directed at you or anyone specific here, so no offense intended. BUT that seems a prevailing attitude on those boards.

I realised your comments weren't directed at anyone. But considering I'm British, I'm bound to take offence at them. You would if I talked about some view of a stereotypical american, which I wouldn't, because almost every American person here is nothing like that stereotype.

Aswell, "It's just how their mothers rear them" was out of line.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 31 2008, 08:14 AM)
Well broadly directed brother...and I said as much.  But that's the truth of my experiences on European sites.  Not here.  Just speaking my mind about that in my post....and not personally directed at you or anyone specific here, so no offense intended.  BUT that seems a prevailing attitude on those boards.

I realised your comments weren't directed at anyone. But considering I'm British, I'm bound to take offence at them. You would if I talked about some view of a stereotypical american, which I wouldn't, because almost every American person here is nothing like that stereotype.

Right. I got your point the first time, actually. But enough with my moronic ramblings. biggrin.gif I was making an observation you don't agree with. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen...and it doesn't make it incorrect, my experiences...

Didn't mean to twist your cork. Back on topic, right?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 31 2008, 01:17 PM)
Well broadly directed brother...and I said as much.  But that's the truth of my experiences on European sites.  Not here.  Just speaking my mind about that in my post....and not personally directed at you or anyone specific here, so no offense intended.  BUT that seems a prevailing attitude on those boards.

Right. I got your point the first time, actually. But enough with my moronic ramblings. biggrin.gif I was making an observation you don't agree with. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen...and it doesn't make it incorrect, my experiences...

Accurate ramblings, apparently tongue.gif

It's all good, I'm just not one for stereotyping.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 31 2008, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 31 2008, 01:17 PM)

Accurate ramblings, apparently tongue.gif

It's all good, I'm just not one for stereotyping.

trink39.gif

Yeah, man....it's all cool. Sorry to upset. I was just venting and it's difficult to do there because the mods don't give two craps and let it go on willy nilly because at heart they're homers who stick up for the locals. They do care here, so I'll respectfully cease. The folks know who they are anyhow. tongue.gif And besides, they deserve more than that. LOL. wink.gif That was the kind side of the crap we sometimes endure as guests of their boards....

trink39.gif Peace

Archived