Perhaps the Rarest and Most Amazing

rushgoober

I was thinking of perhaps bidding on this thing (and when you see it, you'll know why) even though it's an expensive item, but when I asked the guy what the reserve price was, well, i don't care how rare the thing is, the guy is out of his mind if he thinks he'll get that price or even 1/4th of it.

anyway, check it out first, i'll let you know a little later what the laughable reserve price is. did anyone even know this poster was in existence??? it's really quite incredible:

INCREDIBLE RUSH PROMO POSTER

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2005, 08:15 PM)
I was thinking of perhaps bidding on this thing (and when you see it, you'll know why) even though it's an expensive item, but when I asked the guy what the reserve price was, well, i don't care how rare the thing is, the guy is out of his mind if he thinks he'll get that price or even 1/4th of it.

anyway, check it out first, i'll let you know a little later what the laughable reserve price is. did anyone even know this poster was in existence??? it's really quite incredible:

INCREDIBLE RUSH PROMO POSTER

ohmy.gif That is awesome. Come on, goob. What's the reserve price? Cause $50 seems reasonable to start, but you never know how high the bidding will go for something like that.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 2 2005, 06:19 PM)
If it as rare as promoted, and can be verified as authentic, it should go for more than 50.00. It will be interesting to watch.

I don't know how one could verify something like this as authentic - the person selling it as a perfect feedback rating, so that says something, but in all my travels on Rush sites, I've never even heard of it - that doesn't say much cause it likely could just not be known by most people.

It is cool though, isn't it?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2005, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 2 2005, 06:19 PM)
If it as rare as promoted, and can be verified as authentic, it should go for more than 50.00. It will be interesting to watch.

I don't know how one could verify something like this as authentic - the person selling it as a perfect feedback rating, so that says something, but in all my travels on Rush sites, I've never even heard of it - that doesn't say much cause it likely could just not be known by most people.

It is cool though, isn't it?

goob, that is VERY cool!

Let us know the outcome.

smile.gif Go for it goobs I think that when eventually they do ceast to exist that poster will be worth something nail it now buddy

QUOTE (different strings @ Nov 2 2005, 10:51 PM)
smile.gif Go for it goobs I think that when eventually they do ceast to exist that poster will be worth something nail it now buddy

laugh.gif

sorry to laugh Different Strings, but there is an incredibly good reason why I'm not going after that poster.

oh, you're gonna laugh when you hear it.

it's the reserve price.

for those unfamiliar with ebay, you set a starting bid (in this case $50), but you can also set a reserve price, which means it doesn't sell unless the reserve price is met, and often, like in this case, the reserve price is well above the starting bid.

oh, you're gonna laugh when you hear how much this guy thinks he's gonna get for this poster.

the reserve is, no lie, $800!!!!

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 2 2005, 08:09 PM)
He could've easily made that himself...

it IS possible - i would feel a lot more confident about its authenticity if someone here verified they had come across this poster before.

regardless, and don't get me wrong, it's a BEAUTIFUL poster and would be the shining prize of almost any Rush fans collection, but $800???

http://www.sitpchem.home.pl/_borders/NOT-logo-zolty.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2005, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (different strings @ Nov 2 2005, 10:51 PM)

laugh.gif

sorry to laugh Different Strings, but there is an incredibly good reason why I'm not going after that poster.

oh, you're gonna laugh when you hear it.

it's the reserve price.

for those unfamiliar with ebay, you set a starting bid (in this case $50), but you can also set a reserve price, which means it doesn't sell unless the reserve price is met, and often, like in this case, the reserve price is well above the starting bid.

oh, you're gonna laugh when you hear how much this guy thinks he's gonna get for this poster.

the reserve is, no lie, $800!!!!

ohmy.gif Yikes! wacko.gif

Sorry you can't get it goob sad.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2005, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Daylin @ Nov 3 2005, 08:19 AM)

hey, if anyone here on TRF is loaded and thinks its worth the price, go for it, but man, that IS a lot of moola... ohmy.gif

Maybe we can all pitch in and buy it, then send it on a tour to visit each of us. biggrin.gif

hey, if anyone here on TRF is loaded and thinks its worth the price, go for it, but man, that IS a lot of moola... ohmy.gif

goob, that is way too much money for people like 'us' wink.gif

I'm not saying it's wrong to get it if you have the money and collect rare items.....but WOW laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2005, 11:28 AM)

Maybe we can all pitch in and buy it, then send it on a tour to visit each of us. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif I did'nt see this before I wrote my first reply! applaudit.gif

I saw that and it rang alarm bells for me. This looks very much like a poster that was on Ebay not too long ago. In fact it looks exactly like it. The other one had a promo for a concert date in the big white box. It could easily have been produced by someone with today's technology. It could also be that someone found some vintage poster blanks and is "filling in the blanks". Many artists used these types of posters where there would be a blank box that could be filled in with particular information from different concert venues. There is also the condition. In my experience the only way a 30 year old poster can possibly be in that condition is if someone just came across a stack hidden away on a shelf somewhere. You rarely find only one in that shape. So even if it is authentic, I would bet there are more. You see that on Ebay all the time. Someone puts a really rare item out - there is a big bidding war and it goes for big bucks - much to the chagrin of the winning bidder, the item reappears again and again at lower and lower winning bids.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2005, 12:41 PM)
BTW, for our Candian friends $800 translates to $945 Candadian dollars.

It's also 450 English pounds, 667 Euros and $1,080 Australian dollars!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Almost $1000 Canadian ohmy.gif

I can get next terms books with that money!

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Nov 3 2005, 08:39 AM)
I saw that and it rang alarm bells for me. This looks very much like a poster that was on Ebay not too long ago. In fact it looks exactly like it. The other one had a promo for a concert date in the big white box. It could easily have been produced by someone with today's technology. It could also be that someone found some vintage poster blanks and is "filling in the blanks". Many artists used these types of posters where there would be a blank box that could be filled in with particular information from different concert venues. There is also the condition. In my experience the only way a 30 year old poster can possibly be in that condition is if someone just came across a stack hidden away on a shelf somewhere. You rarely find only one in that shape. So even if it is authentic, I would bet there are more. You see that on Ebay all the time. Someone puts a really rare item out - there is a big bidding war and it goes for big bucks - much to the chagrin of the winning bidder, the item reappears again and again at lower and lower winning bids.

it is conceivable, and one thing he said in his e-mail gives possible creedence to your theory - he said:

"I purchased it at an estate sale! I paid lots for this rare item. it belonged to a record collector who passed away. Reserve is $800.

thanks"

when i used to be into buying baseball cards, the bb card community was well aware of the myriad fakes and ripoffs on ebay, and someone saying they bought something at an estate sale was one giveaway of a possible scam. it's so hard to tell though. i looked at this guy's history and he sells a LOT of promo posters and old albums, and his feedback on all of it is absolutely perfect which makes it seem strange to me that he'd be trying to rip people off now.

as to the 30 years old in that condition, it's far from unheard of. in fact, i've got several posters that are over 30 years old that are in fantastic condition - some people actually store these things very well.

anyway, i'll be keeping an eye on this auction - no one has even bid yet, but there's still plenty of time to go - the guy is gonna have to lower his expectations dramatically if he really wants to sell the poster, cause there's no way in a million years anyone will bid that high. maybe it will be relisted later at a lower price, but he'd have to lower his reserve a helluva lot before i'd consider bidding on it.

i'm still hoping someone will come up with a website that talks about this poster or knows for a definitive fact whether it's legit or not.

peace,

gary (goober)

I'm really curious if it's authentic or not, so I did something unusual. I sent an e-mail to Terry Brown to see if he knows. God knows if he'll respond to me (I got his e-mail from his website), but I'll let you know if he does!

And for the record, yes, I did tell him about TRF and how much his work with Rush means to so many people to this day...

Peace,

Gary

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2005, 02:26 PM)
I'm really curious if it's authentic or not, so I did something unusual. I sent an e-mail to Terry Brown to see if he knows. God knows if he'll respond to me (I got his e-mail from his website), but I'll let you know if he does!

And for the record, yes, I did tell him about TRF and how much his work with Rush means to so many people to this day...

Peace,
Gary

That's probably the best way to find out: ask someone who was there at the time.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2005, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 2 2005, 08:09 PM)
He could've easily made that himself...

it IS possible - i would feel a lot more confident about its authenticity if someone here verified they had come across this poster before.

regardless, and don't get me wrong, it's a BEAUTIFUL poster and would be the shining prize of almost any Rush fans collection, but $800???

http://www.sitpchem.home.pl/_borders/NOT-logo-zolty.jpg

I know you said you wouldn't even consider the asking price, but on the validity of the piece itself... I DOUBT IT. I'm a printer Goobs. I've made posters for a living. Posters I made for Nike and Marvel and other rock bands haven't held up as good as this thirty year poster. Now i know you said in your collection you have posters that are quite old and have retained their brilliance. That's possible because if i'm not mistaken, your posters are probably High Density Colorful posters. Psychedelia and such, right? If so, they are made by a series of screened layers of four main colors. The sheer volume of ink in these layers can make their brilliance last longer than something like this. This piece looks like it was done on a 2color press. Black and a pms red ink. Fade resist inks were not prevalent back thirty years ago, so for a one layer pms color to retain its vibrance to that extent so long, is very unlikely. Unless it was stored rolled inside out and away from every possible light source there is, i don't believe this is real. I can make you one of these tomorrow if you really want one Goobs. My starting price would be only 8 bux period. LOL. The dealer himself could be scammed also. He could be ignorant of what makes a true authentic piece. I would not bet the farm that i'm right unless I could hold the piece and smell the ink. It's just that REDS fade the most. They don't even need light to fade. I'm doubting this highly.

I just looked at it again. I'm convinced it's not authentic. There is NO yellowing of the stock at all. The paper is pure white. IMPOSSIBLE unless it was kept in a vaccum. It's not even a good counterfeit. The black is soooooo solid still. No flaking at all. And again, the red is just way too vibrant and it IS only a single layer PMS color. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there seems to be an aqueous coating on it also, which would also make me think it couldn't be as old as said. Believe me... I KNOW COUNTERFEITING. Heh... 'nuff said.

Archived