Spocks beard !

Tick

im listening to them right now and if your not a fan you should be ! yes.gif 1022.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/startrek11.jpg

This episode was on tv last night. yes.gif

I've heard OF the band for years, but have never heard them. Hopefully one of these days I'll get to check them out...

Spocks Beard is one of my favorite groups of all time and IMHO are the greatest progressive group ever from the USA. There are two versions of the Beard, the Neal Morse era and the post Neal Era. Neal was the singer/songwriter/composer and the Beards music changed quite a bit when Neal left.

I only saw the Beard once when they opened for DT in Denver one year and just as I was really getting in to them Neal left the group after "Snow".

The Neal era studio discs include

The Light

Beware of Darkness

The Kindness of Strangers

Day for Night

V

Snow

Spocks Beard is now led by Nick D'Virgilio, Nick is a world class drummer and has recorded worth Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Tears for Fears etc. The music is still good and I would jump at the chance to see them again, but

without Neal its just not the same.

The Neal era sound is unique but leans towards mixture of yes/genesis/beatles/ with some modern heavier sounds???

http://www.spocksbeard.com/

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jun 8 2006, 03:18 PM)
Spocks Beard is one of my favorite groups of all time and IMHO are the greatest progressive group ever from the USA. There are two versions of the Beard, the Neal Morse era and the post Neal Era. Neal was the singer/songwriter/composer and the Beards music changed quite a bit when Neal left.

I only saw the Beard once when they opened for DT in Denver one year and just as I was really getting in to them Neal left the group after "Snow".

The Neal era studio discs include

The Light
Beware of Darkness
The Kindness of Strangers
Day for Night
V
Snow

Spocks Beard is now led by Nick D'Virgilio, Nick is a world class drummer and has recorded worth Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Tears for Fears etc. The music is still good and I would jump at the chance to see them again, but
without Neal its just not the same.

The Neal era sound is unique but leans towards mixture of yes/genesis/beatles/ with some modern heavier sounds???

http://www.spocksbeard.com/

the neil morse stuff is all im familiar with , and i love it.

I definitely prefer the Neal Morse stuff over the Nick D'V stuff. They lost a lot of the "progressiveness" when Neal left. (Because God told him to, of all things!)

I can't believe Goob - Prog fan that he is - hasn't listened to the Beard. Start with V; that's a great place to begin. The lead-off track is my favorite Beard song, the epic "At the End of the Day."

I really like a lot of their stuff, but it's usually hit-or-miss for me. When I like one of their songs, I love it... but the songs I don't like are really crappy. There's no one album I like start to finish. I really need to make my own "Best of" CD.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 8 2006, 02:22 PM)
I can't believe Goob - Prog fan that he is - hasn't listened to the Beard.

the thing is, yeah, i am a huge prog fan, but i really stick strictly with the 70's prog, owning maybe 12 post-1979 prog albums, 10 of which are Ozric Tentacles. that to me was the golden age of prog, and most of the neo-prog i've heard from the 80's and beyond hasn't really thrilled me. i'm open to trying out spock's beard however and will do so at some point...

Spock's Beard has more in common with 70s Prog than, say, Dream Theater does.

Some compare them to Yes, others to Gentle Giant or King Crimson, and I think there's a "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" vibe to the aforementioned song "At the End of the Day."

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2006, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 8 2006, 02:22 PM)
I can't believe Goob - Prog fan that he is - hasn't listened to the Beard.

the thing is, yeah, i am a huge prog fan, but i really stick strictly with the 70's prog, owning maybe 12 post-1979 prog albums, 10 of which are Ozric Tentacles. that to me was the golden age of prog, and most of the neo-prog i've heard from the 80's and beyond hasn't really thrilled me. i'm open to trying out spock's beard however and will do so at some point...

just make sure its the older stuff with neil morse.

I've begun getting in to them through my participation in the CPCDE.

At present I just have the last three albums, Snow, Feel Euphoria and Octane. V is next on my list.

Their use of layered harmony in the vocals is superb, and the musicianship is top notch.

My favourite track of their's is Gibberish (which I think I gave you on CD Goob, if I'm not mistaken).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2006, 09:27 AM)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/startrek11.jpg

This episode was on tv last night. yes.gif

I've heard OF the band for years, but have never heard them.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get to check them out...

They just ended a tour last month. It was only about 10 dates or so, and I was lucky enough to see one of them. Great band in concert! Nick is no Neal, but he holds his own, and they don't shy away from their older catalog just because the original vocalist is not there to sing it (unlike another prog band whose drummer became their vocalist)

Just one more note, it's very true that they're hit or miss. There's very little in between, they either annoy me or I love them. A homemade best of is probably the best way to go. For me it would have to include

All On A Sunday

The Doorway

Waste Away

Thoughts Pt 2

Crack The Big Sky

and a couple others that are eluding me at this moment.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jun 8 2006, 03:06 PM)
My favourite track of their's is Gibberish (which I think I gave you on CD Goob, if I'm not mistaken).

Well dip me in batter and fry me to a golden-brown, you're right, i DO have that song!

Ok, I only have one song to go on by them as of now.

Great song - EXTREMELY influenced by Gentle Giant, but that's not a bad thing. I'm definitely open to hearing more...

On that same cd I'm listening to Dream Theater's version of Red Barchetta. It's close enough to the original that it almost makes me wonder what the necessity of it is. The one real negative though is it REALLY shows what an amazing vocalist Geddy Lee is because the vocals are good, but he's no Geddy. Honestly, not bad, but the song just makes me want to hear the original. Not my best intro to Dream Theater I guess...

Listened again to my favorite Beard tune, "At the End of the Day," for the first time in many months... and remembered why I love the band so much. Awesome stuff; I get chills sometimes.

Note to self: make that "personal best of" CD of Spock's Beard material. Mail a copy to Gary.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 23 2006, 04:34 PM)
Listened again to my favorite Beard tune, "At the End of the Day," for the first time in many months... and remembered why I love the band so much. Awesome stuff; I get chills sometimes.

Note to self: make that "personal best of" CD of Spock's Beard material. Mail a copy to Gary.

goodpost.gif i hear that ! great stuff.

QUOTE (Last Immortal Man @ Jun 24 2006, 11:49 AM)
Has anyone listened to any of the Neal Morse solo stuff yet? Awesome stuff!

Im dying to hear his latest solo effort , with portnoy and rudess.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 26 2006, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Last Immortal Man @ Jun 24 2006, 11:49 AM)
Has anyone listened to any of the Neal Morse solo stuff yet? Awesome stuff!

Im dying to hear his latest solo effort , with portnoy and rudess.

just bought "neil morse - ?"

awesome cd.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jul 12 2006, 04:55 PM)
I got Testimony. I need to buy the rest. Neal is the man.

Tick, did you ever download that 20 minute beard mix by NDV?

i have not. i love the latest neil morse , its christian music taken to a place no one has ever gone , to my knowledge anyway. neil is the man.

the latest neil morse album , "?"is about as perfect as a record gets ! i highly recomend buying this.

Archived