Rush Takes Down Calgary Photographer

Wil1972

Dude was offered a tidy sum of 5k for work he did 40 years ago. He should have sold them and count himself fortunate for the pay day. Not only is he infringing on Rush's rights but if he was an employee of that publication, those rights belong to the company he worked for. I don't think he's committing a major crime, but he can't be surprised he'd get caught. I don't know what steps those big time photographers take to sell their stuff on line, but if he has a decent back catalogue of 70's rock photos, he needs some advice. As is, getting shut down after $500 worth of sales doesn't sound like too big of a deal, suck it up buttercup.

I thought Rush was one of those bands that really didn't mind their fans doing stuff like that? They slap this photographer with a C&D, but they're okay with fans recording literally every show on the R40 tour?

well not everyone is trying to make a profit off of it. shit i recorded neil's drum solo on the r40 tour and put it on youtube but im not making money from it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mythbuster--the inside of a concert venue is not "in public." It's private property in the US at least, and that's why alcohol can be sold and consumed openly. It's also why they can ban cameras and recording devices. Photographing a concert for your own personal use with a camera that is deemed permissible is never an issue, but as JD pointed out, you need a model release if those photos will be used in any way shape or form that involves someone making money. Good example--when in med school around 1999, a reality show (Life in the ER or something similar) filmed an episode in the ER and hospital where I was, and the production team posted a photo saying "is this you? Please contact us," etc. etc. Several people thought it was me, but it turned out to be a classmate who resembles me. Apparently the production team wanted to use a shot with my classmate in it for the episode, and he had to sign off on it before they'd be allowed. true story.

As someone else said, its most likely the management team not the boys trolling the interwebs looking for FBN photos being sold for profit. The photog is an idiot for not taking the $5K and he has no legal standing. Sure, its not a million dollars but IMO he should have cashed out and went on his merry way. Oh and Geddy didnt respond to him via FB either...dummy.
  • Like 1