Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

willowroolz

What a movie!! I have seen it twice now and I very, very impressed. Much as I liked last years movie (and I did) I found that suffered from ripping things off from the original. Not with this one - not in my opinion.

Loved the grittyness in it. It may have started slowly (as a movie) but it totally caught fire. Loved many of the positive things folks here have mentioned about it. One thing I loved, which has not been mentioned, is the storm troopers. These guys are supposed to be enforcers for the empire, the folks who controlled the galaxy for the empire. But I have always (with an exception here and there) found them to be sort of a joke in the movies. Just goons to be killed off in fights. Not here. In this one they were reasonably impressive. Their may have been a high body count among them but they were, at least somewhat, responsible for the high body count among others in the movie.

So where do a rank it among the Star Wars movies?? Better than last years (as good as that was). Better than Return of the Jedi. I really loved it when it first came out, perhaps even more than the original but it has not aged well (due to the Ewoks). Better than Empire Strikes Back which I never liked for some reason. Better than the 3 (very frustrating) prequels. Those movies had some good actors, had some interesting characters (e.g. Darth Maul & the many Jedi) and so much potential as stories. But they just were not well done. Horrible scripts. I will have to go back at some point and watch them again. So much great potential but just not well done. Very frustrating.

So that leaves it matched against the original. I will have to go and watch this one third time. Its hard to pick - its that good.

I guess my ranking would be something like:

IV / Rogue

VII

VI

I - III & V

Empire dead last? Yikes!

• Like 3

What a movie!! I have seen it twice now and I very, very impressed. Much as I liked last years movie (and I did) I found that suffered from ripping things off from the original. Not with this one - not in my opinion.

Loved the grittyness in it. It may have started slowly (as a movie) but it totally caught fire. Loved many of the positive things folks here have mentioned about it. One thing I loved, which has not been mentioned, is the storm troopers. These guys are supposed to be enforcers for the empire, the folks who controlled the galaxy for the empire. But I have always (with an exception here and there) found them to be sort of a joke in the movies. Just goons to be killed off in fights. Not here. In this one they were reasonably impressive. Their may have been a high body count among them but they were, at least somewhat, responsible for the high body count among others in the movie.

So where do a rank it among the Star Wars movies?? Better than last years (as good as that was). Better than Return of the Jedi. I really loved it when it first came out, perhaps even more than the original but it has not aged well (due to the Ewoks). Better than Empire Strikes Back which I never liked for some reason. Better than the 3 (very frustrating) prequels. Those movies had some good actors, had some interesting characters (e.g. Darth Maul & the many Jedi) and so much potential as stories. But they just were not well done. Horrible scripts. I will have to go back at some point and watch them again. So much great potential but just not well done. Very frustrating.

So that leaves it matched against the original. I will have to go and watch this one third time. Its hard to pick - its that good.

I guess my ranking would be something like:

IV / Rogue

VII

VI

I - III & V

Empire dead last? Yikes!

Its roughly tied with episodes 1-3. I can't say its last, I just listed it last since it was the highest #'ed episode among the 4 I sort of bunch together.

It did nothing for me at the time it came out. I guess I re-watched it once or twice and it did nothing for me then either. The fact that I found it to be such a let down made VI (which was great) all the better.

Like 1 - 3, it had potential and disappointed greatly. But below 1-3? Let me think about it, re-watch it and 1-3 and get back to you. But its definitely in the same ball park (IMO) and could be below some of them. Yes, it could be dead last.

But Rogue One is anything but dead last - its great.

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?

From best to worst:

Rogue One

My top 2 and bottom 2 are locked, and I could mix the other 4 up on any given day.

Ah ok. Since you're ranking, I might as well too. The most important two and least important two are the same...

(Haven't seen Rogue yet)

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

Have t seen rogue either. Apparently I rate III higher than most.

V, IV, III, VI, VII, I, II for me. I find clones to be a snooze fest and VII too derivative of original.

Now we are grading:

V-A, took a game changer and added a huge universe. Emperor, Vader is Luke's father, etc..

IV-A+, game changer but only hints at what comes next. Special effects haven't been the same since.

Rogue One-A, shows how gritty rebellion is, finally seems like there is really something on line in being a rebel

III-A-, Ian tears up the screen, Anakin cries.

VI-B, another Death Star and ewoks

VII-B-, another Death Star and story too similar to IV

I-C, midichlorians, jar jar

II-C-, boring story, uninteresting action in droid foundery, "romance" story not believable. How could someone as intelligent and wise as Padmé fall in love with that brat?

• Like 1

Anyone that has seen it, where would it rank among the rest of the Star Wars flicks? I'm assuming it's not touching Empire and is way better than Phantom Menace. But other than that?

From best to worst:

Rogue One

My top 2 and bottom 2 are locked, and I could mix the other 4 up on any given day.

Ah ok. Since you're ranking, I might as well too. The most important two and least important two are the same...

(Haven't seen Rogue yet)

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

V, IV, III, VI, VII, I, II for me. I find clones to be a snooze fest and VII too derivative of original.

Now we are grading:

V-A, took a game changer and added a huge universe. Emperor, Vader is Luke's father, etc..

IV-A+, game changer but only hints at what comes next. Special effects haven't been the same since.

Rogue One-A, shows how gritty rebellion is, finally seems like there is really something on line in being a rebel

II-C-, boring story, uninteresting action in droid foundery, "romance" story not believable. How could someone as intelligent and wise as Padmé fall in love with that brat?

You're very generous with Clones and Phantom.

I usually grade what I saw in the Last Movie You Watched thread

• Like 1

From best to worst:

Rogue One

(Haven't seen Rogue yet)

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

Now we are grading:

It's still Star Wars

From best to worst:

Rogue One

(Haven't seen Rogue yet)

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

Now we are grading:

It's still Star Wars

Yeah and that's partially why I was probably so strict with the prequels. For me, there's such a large gap in quality between them and the originals and Rogue One. Mark Hamill wasn't going to win any acting awards in New Hope but Hayden Christanson and particularly the little boy Anakin actor were tough to watch at times. A lot of prequel scenes were tough for me to watch.

Just got back from seeing Rogue 1 on the largest IMAX screen in the whole state of Florida. 10,500 square feet. I have to admit I like this movie very much more than the last one. The story was original! The characters were cool! And the effects were SUPERB!!! I also loved how the infused characters from the original series and made them look as they did way back then. Dart Vader's Helmet was also very shiny which gave that added bit of realism! :laughing guy: That last part was a joke. Overall I give 9.5 out of 10. Very very pleased. :yes: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Just got back from seeing Rogue 1 on the larjest IMAX screen in the whole state of Florida. 10,500 square feet. I have to admit I like this movie very much more than the last one. The story was original! The characters were cool! And the effects were SUPERB!!! I also loved how the infused characters from the original series and made them look as they did way back then. Dart Vader's Helmet was also very shiny which gave that added bit of realism! :laughing guy: That last part was a joke. Overall I give 9.5 out of 10. Very very pleased. :yes:

I agree. Except for the last 10 seconds I would definitely give it a 10.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing Rogue 1 on the largest IMAX screen in the whole state of Florida. 10,500 square feet. I have to admit I like this movie very much more than the last one. The story was original! The characters were cool! And the effects were SUPERB!!! I also loved how the infused characters from the original series and made them look as they did way back then. Dart Vader's Helmet was also very shiny which gave that added bit of realism! :laughing guy: That last part was a joke. Overall I give 9.5 out of 10. Very very pleased. :yes:

I actually liked the ending especially with the recent news of poor Carrie. And I thought it set up the stage for "A New Hope" I know that was the intent but I really enjoyed the whole experience.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing Rogue 1 on the largest IMAX screen in the whole state of Florida. 10,500 square feet. I have to admit I like this movie very much more than the last one. The story was original! The characters were cool! And the effects were SUPERB!!! I also loved how the infused characters from the original series and made them look as they did way back then. Dart Vader's Helmet was also very shiny which gave that added bit of realism! :laughing guy: That last part was a joke. Overall I give 9.5 out of 10. Very very pleased. :yes:

MOSI?

• Like 1

I actually liked the ending especially with the recent news of poor Carrie. And I thought it set up the stage for "A New Hope" I know that was the intent but I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Not the fact of her being there but how bad the CGI was.

• Like 1

It didn't bother me mainly because I thought the movie was so good already. But I think they could've given the same line but said by Jimmy Smits/Bail Organa OR by Mon Mothma.

It didn't bother me mainly because I thought the movie was so good already. But I think they could've given the same line but said by Jimmy Smits/Bail Organa OR by Mon Mothma.

Yeah they could have but I guess it made more of an impact and sense to have Leia get the plans.

Not really a spoiler but I'm putting it this way just in case...

I wonder if they'll have any of these Rogue One characters turning up in the Han Solo prequel. Depending on how deep in the past they go, they might be able to use Felicity Jones/Jyn again. Age wouldn't be a factor with many of the Rogue One characters in relation to a younger Han Solo.

• Like 1

Loved this film! Three generations on opening night: My dad, son and myself. Cool experience. Son and I saw it a second time a week later. I rate this film second only to Empire...

Love the darkness...

• Like 2

Yeah they could have but I guess it made more of an impact and sense to have Leia get the plans.

Yup, impact

• Like 2

Yup, impact

And I just realized that could be a spoiler. Are we avoiding spoilers in this thread?

• Like 1

Yup, impact

And I just realized that could be a spoiler. Are we avoiding spoilers in this thread?

That's why I put my post that followed in spoiler quotes. Better safe than sorry

I wonder if they'll have any of these Rogue One characters turning up in the Han Solo prequel. Depending on how deep in the past they go, they might be able to use Felicity Jones/Jyn again. Age wouldn't be a factor with many of the Rogue One characters in relation to a younger Han Solo.

Hopefully spoiler stays hidden with quote. I hope not. This issue is one of the things that makes the movie hard hitting.

• Like 2

Hopefully spoiler stays hidden with quote. I hope not. This issue is one of the things that makes the movie hard hitting.

Yeah, as much as I liked ALL of those Rogue One characters, I hope they don't return...For the strong feeling of their loss in THIS movie to remain! I'm just thinking of their possible reappearance but not actually wanting it

• Like 3

Yeah, as much as I liked ALL of those Rogue One characters, I hope they don't return...For the strong feeling of their loss in THIS movie to remain! I'm just thinking of their possible reappearance but not actually wanting it

I agree with you.

• Like 2

MOSI?

Yep! It was an awesome immersive experience. (FYI if you go sit as high as possible :yes: )

• Like 1

MOSI?

Yep! It was an awesome immersive experience. (FYI if you go sit as high as possible :yes: )

I always feel like I'm going to fall down the stairs there.

• Like 1

I didn't see any defects however I was watching in a very unique environment. So I will have to re see on a "normal" theater screen to see what you are talking about. Which I will :yes: :LOL: