"Under The Milky Way:" The Church Vs Echo And The Bunnymen! "Lips Like Sugar"

RUSHHEAD666

The Church Has A Very Strange Echo......  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Band Do You Dig The Most?

• Echo And The Bunnymen
    • The Church

I'm a huge Fixx fan and they just wrote really solid songs that translate to the current without seeming dated. I really like Naked Eyes as well.I think they only had one album.

After the Fire?

Reach the Beach. I saw them open for the Police, with the Thompson Twins, on the Synchronicity tour.

Great one! I love The Fixx!

Thompson Twins?

I love ABC! "Lexicon Of Love"

You guys like IT BITES? New Wave Pop Prog. I love them.

Never heard of them. I do remember you liking the Surf Punks, as I recall.

Geez...we're going full nostalgia here.

• Like 2

You guys like IT BITES? New Wave Pop Prog. I love them.

Never heard of them. I do remember you liking the Surf Punks, as I recall.

Geez...we're going full nostalgia here.

You might like some It Bites buddy. Yes! OMG! The Surf Punks! "My Beach" is in my TOP TEN OF ALL TIME!!!!

• Like 1

Eurythmics...Pretenders...

Culture Club. Spandau Ballet. ( :ph34r: )

I don't like Culture Club but Time (Like A Clock in My Heart) is one of those perfectly written pop tunes from the early 80's I just love. It was anyone else I would be all over it but...Boy George.

Hah, seriously they wrote some damn fine tunes.

Soft Cell?

I heard the song I Ran by Flock this morning and thought beyond all the 80's sheen and stupid haircuts there is a really good "song" there. Shame we can't see past image and hear the songs sometimes.

Good point. My favorite song by Flock is "Space Aged Love Song!"

My favourite song of theirs is Messages.

Starfish has to be one of the best albums of all time for me. It just fit a perfect evening with some friends when I was in college and it was like some soundtrack out of a Hughes film, even more so because we lived in the North Shore :)

It's just a really well put together and produced piece. It's both powerful and serene. The music is wholly unique and the lyrics are very well.done.

I had Kraftwerk's Man-Machine in my head all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5sXX_2LU0

I never got into these guys Goose!

They're a visual band. They just did a 3-D tour and a friend of mine flew up to Portland and caught it. Said it was amazing!

CZ_ziCbUMAAVe9-.jpg

:LOL: genius! Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I had Kraftwerk's Man-Machine in my head all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5sXX_2LU0

I never got into these guys Goose!

They're a visual band. They just did a 3-D tour and a friend of mine flew up to Portland and caught it. Said it was amazing!

CZ_ziCbUMAAVe9-.jpg

:LOL: genius!

That is genius!!! SANDERS WILL SAVE US ALL!!!!

One of my all time favorite bands. Saw them perform Starfish in its entirety about 2 years ago. Killer.

A top five band for me as well. Loved them back in the day (Heyday/Starfish era) and re-discovered them in the late '90s when they went on that amazing run starting with Hologram of Baal. Their latest, Further Deeper, is a freakin' modern masterpiece, esp the 2-LP version (Euro CD also has the three extra tracks). Even during their wilderness period -- the tired Gold Afternoon Fix through the low-point Magician Among the Spirits -- they released their magnum opus, Priest=Aura. An amazing talent who unlike most bands has just become better with age.

I love Echo and the Bunnymen, esp Porcupine (a hallmark '80s album, subdued and minimalist; nothing like the saccharin Lips Like Sugar), but for me The Church is up there with Zeppelin and Floyd ... for me (not a majority opinion, obviously).

Oh, and those who don't love P-Furs, their first three albums are among the greats of the '80s (after those they pulled a Lips Like Sugar-esque bid for commercial success, and then got old), esp that dark and beautiful first album. India, Sister Europe, Imitation of Christ ... fantastic!

• Like 2

One of my all time favorite bands. Saw them perform Starfish in its entirety about 2 years ago. Killer.

A top five band for me as well. Loved them back in the day (Heyday/Starfish era) and re-discovered them in the late '90s when they went on that amazing run starting with Hologram of Baal. Their latest, Further Deeper, is a freakin' modern masterpiece, esp the 2-LP version (Euro CD also has the three extra tracks). Even during their wilderness period -- the tired Gold Afternoon Fix through the low-point Magician Among the Spirits -- they released their magnum opus, Priest=Aura. An amazing talent who unlike most bands has just become better with age.

I love Echo and the Bunnymen, esp Porcupine (a hallmark '80s album, subdued and minimalist; nothing like the saccharin Lips Like Sugar), but for me The Church is up there with Zeppelin and Floyd ... for me (not a majority opinion, obviously).

Oh, and those who don't love P-Furs, their first three albums are among the greats of the '80s (after those they pulled a Lips Like Sugar-esque bid for commercial success, and then got old), esp that dark and beautiful first album. India, Sister Europe, Imitation of Christ ... fantastic!

This is an excellent post! It's nice to see The Church get a lot of love on here.

WOW Chemistry1973!!! You saw :"Starfish" performed live all the way through???? YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!! I mean DOGFISH!!!

Where did you see them live?

• Like 2

This is an excellent post! It's nice to see The Church get a lot of love on here.

WOW Chemistry1973!!! You saw :"Starfish" performed live all the way through???? YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!! I mean DOGFISH!!!

Where did you see them live?

I saw the show at the El Rey in Los Angeles. They played Priest=Aura and Untitled #23 as well.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1