A Farewell To Kings – The 2015 Vinyl Remaster

Scooch

I got a gift certificate to a local music store for Christmas this year, and one of the purchases I made with it was the latest vinyl remaster of A Farewell To Kings. I’ve been a Rush fan since 1982, when vinyl records were the primary format used, so I have Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire (as well as Vapor Trails: Remixed and Clockwork Angels) on vinyl. The other releases I own on CD.

Now I’m not a huge audiophile. I do appreciate good sound, but being a working man with a family I just cannot and will not spend more than I need to on audio equipment. However, I do have a decent turntable and a good receiver that I purchased in my younger years. Both are a little dated but are better than average. My big gift last year for Christmas was a pair of Sennheiser headphones. By far they are the nicest piece of audio equipment I own and they sound amazing when plugged into my receiver.

So I wondered how good do these latest remasters sound. I really didn’t notice a huge difference with 1997 remasters, other than being louder. And I thought the Sectors remasters were good for some albums, but kind of the same for others. So last night I played the 2015 remaster of A Farewell To Kings back-to-back with my original vinyl copy of Hemispheres. Let me start off by saying, yes, there is a difference. A Farewell To Kings sounds like a new album! It’s not just louder, but more dynamic. It’s not compressed sounding to my ears. To me it sounds more spacious while at the same time having some punch. This is the first time I’ve heard a Rush remaster and was this impressed. When compared to the original pressing of Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings just sounds more alive and energetic. Don’t get me wrong, my vinyl copy of Hemispheres sounds great but there is a noticeable difference. The original vinyl of Hemispheres sounds slightly muted. It’s more than just a lower volume – the best I could describe it is remember how muted Signals sounded when it came out, it’s not that bad, but it’s same general idea.

I have no intention of replacing the current Rush vinyl records I own, but I will be picking up the ones I don’t currently have on vinyl! If they are as good as the one I just purchased I cannot wait to hear 2112, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Plus I’m curious if Signals will contain the same remastering it received with the Sectors box set – as that was the best version of the album I’ve heard yet.

• Like 1

I'm not an audiophile but I know one well who is buying all these new vinyl Rush releases and he says they sound a lot better. But, he has out of this world equipment. He would say that without the equipment you aren't going to hear the difference.

I have bought all the new Rush vinyls, and I even got the old ones (all from Caress Of Steel to Presto). And Im telling you, its a huge difference on most of them! The worst one is probably Test For Echo, which sounds much better on CD! And the best one is probably Moving Pictures, great job with that one!

I even have the sector boxes, but these days I never listen to CDs. I only listen to vinyl, but I say the vinyls is better mixed then the sector boxes.

I cant wait until I get Snakes & Arrows and Feedback, I wanna hear how they sound as well.

Edited by YYZumbi

So, then, it's a waste of money to buy the new vinyls if you don't have the latest in turntable technology?

And pre-amp, amp, speakers or headphones.

I can't say really, but when I told him what I have (a middling turntable and sh*tty system) he said I wouldn't hear a difference over the originals I never let go so I've not bothered. If I didn't waste my money on old cars that always need something replaced or improved, I'd probably waste my disposable income on stereo equipment, and then I would get the new and improved LPs. Until then I figure it's not worth the expense. But if I were buying an only copy, I'd go ahead and get the better of the options.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

So, then, it's a waste of money to buy the new vinyls if you don't have the latest in turntable technology?

And pre-amp, amp, speakers or headphones.

I can't say really, but when I told him what I have (a middling turntable and sh*tty system) he said I wouldn't hear a difference over the originals I never let go so I've not bothered. If I didn't waste my money on old cars that always need something replaced or improved, I'd probably waste my disposable income on stereo equipment, and then I would get the new and improved LPs. Until then I figure it's not worth the expense. But if I were buying an only copy, I'd go ahead and get the better of the options.

If I had the money, I would get all the latest and then buy the vinyls. I am sure they sound better than cds.

There's something comforting to me listening to vinyls, but that's because I was raised with them.

I love LPs. They have soul, unlike CDs. One handles LPs with care, because it's the right thing to do. One handles CDs so as not to scratch them, so they'll play. So LPs seem to have a worth apart from their function, whereas CDs are valued only so far as they'll function. That's almost a defining distinction between a human being and a robot; with the LP being the person, which gets back to the claim about the soul.
  • Like 1

I love LPs. They have soul, unlike CDs. One handles LPs with care, because it's the right thing to do. One handles CDs so as not to scratch them, so they'll play. So LPs seem to have a worth apart from their function, whereas CDs are valued only so far as they'll function. That's almost a defining distinction between a human being and a robot; with the LP being the person, which gets back to the claim about the soul.

Remember bringing a new album home? I do. Is there nothing we didn't look at on it over and over? If they had the lyrics printed, that was a plus, and how many were underlined or highlighted with an asterisk, or notes penned alongside of them?

I need a magnifying glass these days to read the liner-notes off the cd package. Can they print them any smaller? :codger: :LOL:

• Like 3

I just read a fascinating article about a guy who is expert in recovering music from old 78s. People in the old days would use anything for a stylus, including sewing needles and pins. This guy will try different shapes of diamonds in the stylus, and angle them in certain ways. By doing so he is able to recover the signals from the grooves that haven't been worn away. Very interesting stuff.
  • Like 2

Remember bringing a new album home? I do. Is there nothing we didn't look at on it over and over? If they had the lyrics printed, that was a plus, and how many were underlined or highlighted with an asterisk, or notes penned alongside of them?

I need a magnifying glass these days to read the liner-notes off the cd package. Can they print them any smaller? :codger: :LOL:

There was a kind of reverence to playing a vinyl LP. I know that's a heavy word, but gently laying the record on the turntable was preparation for 20 minutes of pure experience.

• Like 1

I just read a fascinating article about a guy who is expert in recovering music from old 78s. People in the old days would use anything for a stylus, including sewing needles and pins. This guy will try different shapes of diamonds in the stylus, and angle them in certain ways. By doing so he is able to recover the signals from the grooves that haven't been worn away. Very interesting stuff.

The very first turntable I ever owned (handed down to me from my grandparents' house) had a Diamond-head needle on it. I don't know if that was just a brand name, or if it was actually made from diamond- or maybe both.

There was a kind of reverence to playing a vinyl LP. I know that's a heavy word, but gently laying the record on the turntable was preparation for 20 minutes of pure experience.

Yes, exactly. LPs demand your attention, and respect. It's a different experience from digital for sure. Funny as when CDs first came out, I knew a couple people who were preaching this (analog over digital) and I thought they were a little whacked at the time. Now I think there were right, and ahead of their time apparently as a lot of people have come to feel this way. The demand for LPs around the world is far outstripping the supply, and the demand is mostly coming from young people (so I read).

• Like 2

When CDs came out, who knew vinyls would ever make a comeback? As far as we were concerned, the days of albums and stereos were over for good.

Had I known there would be a real revival, I would never have given up my vast album collection.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

When CDs came out, who knew vinyls would ever make a comeback? As far as we were concerned, the days of albums and stereos was over for good.

Had I known there would be a real revival, I would never have given up my vast album collection.

Yeah, I unfortunately "upgraded" quite a bit, too. I only kept albums that were very, very important to me, gatefolds, colored vinyl and stuff like that.

• Like 1

I have almost all the new release vinyls, still waiting on HYF, S&A, PoW, and they really good. I do mainly listen on headphones for a couple reasons. First because my family don't have the same appreciation for my music as I do. Second I have pretty decent speakers with my stereo system but my headphones are actually better at imaging and detail. I have Sennheisers, HD 650 and HD 700 and they were expensive but worth every penny for all that they bring to the music I love. I splurge as much as I can afford on good equipment.
  • Like 1

Yes, exactly. LPs demand your attention, and respect. It's a different experience from digital for sure. Funny as when CDs first came out, I knew a couple people who were preaching this (analog over digital) and I thought they were a little whacked at the time. Now I think there were right, and ahead of their time apparently as a lot of people have come to feel this way. The demand for LPs around the world is far outstripping the supply, and the demand is mostly coming from young people (so I read).

Same for me - I remember getting a CD player around 1986, and getting all psyched to hear this new, pristine, digital sound I had been reading about only to have my uncle preach about how nothing will replace the vinyl experience. At the time I dismissed it as a new generation/older generation thing, but now I totally agree. I still buy new music and whenever possible I buy in on vinyl. I won't disagree that part of it for me is nostalgia, but buying music on vinyl makes me excited to buy music again so it can't be a bad thing.

• Like 4

I have almost all the new release vinyls, still waiting on HYF, S&A, PoW, and they really good. I do mainly listen on headphones for a couple reasons. First because my family don't have the same appreciation for my music as I do. Second I have pretty decent speakers with my stereo system but my headphones are actually better at imaging and detail. I have Sennheisers, HD 650 and HD 700 and they were expensive but worth every penny for all that they bring to the music I love. I splurge as much as I can afford on good equipment.

I have the 598's and I couldn't be more happy with them. They are comfortable and even better - they are the best sounding head phones I've ever owned. I realize there are better, but for $140 you can't go wrong :D

Edited by Scooch
  • Like 2

I have the 598's and I couldn't be more happy with them. They are comfortable and even better - they are the best sounding head phones I've ever owned. I realize there are better, but for $140 you can't go wrong :D

Yeah I started out with the HD 595's which are the predecessor of the 598's, a few years back. Loved them since they were the best I had ever own at the time. Once I started upgrading it was hard to go back. I passed those on to my oldest son when I got my 700's for Christmas. They are still being loved. :D You just can't go wrong with Sennheiser. That's good old German engineering there.

• Like 2

Yeah I started out with the HD 595's which are the predecessor of the 598's, a few years back. Loved them since they were the best I had ever own at the time. Once I started upgrading it was hard to go back. I passed those on to my oldest son when I got my 700's for Christmas. They are still being loved. :D You just can't go wrong with Sennheiser. That's good old German engineering there.

A buddy of mine has the 700's. I tried them on and I admit, I heard a difference. I think I will eventually work my way up to them but for the time being my 598's are making me plenty happy. Also, the 700's look very cool.

You're absolutely right - you cannot go wrong with Sennheiser!

• Like 2

A buddy of mine has the 700's. I tried them on and I admit, I heard a difference. I think I will eventually work my way up to them but for the time being my 598's are making me plenty happy. Also, the 700's look very cool.

You're absolutely right - you cannot go wrong with Sennheiser!

Enjoy! I know what you mean. I couldn't have been happier with my 650's and it was several years before I got the urge to upgrade. I couldn't see how anything could sound as good as they did.

• Like 1