Best part of the R40 DVD / Blu-ray / CD...

ALifeson85

The sound production on the blu ray leaves something to be desired. Drums and vocals are recorded about right but Alex's guitar lacks any kind of power and is way too low in the mix. This is exscerbated by the muddy recording of Geddy's bass which is both too high in the mix AND has a nasty hump in the lower octave which dominates the sound totally. It's a bit better with the Gibson bass than the fender but it's there through the whole show.

Frankly, the sound production on all the filmed shows since Snakes & Arrows Live has been poor at best. This disk can go on the rarely watched pile with Time machine and Clockwork Angels Live. A missed opportunity in my book.

The sound production on the blu ray leaves something to be desired. Drums and vocals are recorded about right but Alex's guitar lacks any kind of power and is way too low in the mix. This is exscerbated by the muddy recording of Geddy's bass which is both too high in the mix AND has a nasty hump in the lower octave which dominates the sound totally. It's a bit better with the Gibson bass than the fender but it's there through the whole show.

Frankly, the sound production on all the filmed shows since Snakes & Arrows Live has been poor at best. This disk can go on the rarely watched pile with Time machine and Clockwork Angels Live. A missed opportunity in my book.

The drums are recorded OK? Have you really listened to them? You can't really hear the toms or most of the cymbals. And which Fender? They do sound a bit different from each other.

Edited by EagleMoon

Jacob's Ladder to the end for me.

I don't throw around the word perfect much...but Jacob's Ladder on R40 qualifies to my ears and eyes.

I do agree with you. As much as I love Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder was the high point of that show for me. It was perfect.

• Like 1

I don't throw around the word perfect much...but Jacob's Ladder on R40 qualifies to my ears and eyes.

I do agree with you. As much as I love Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder was the high point of that show for me. It was perfect.

I quite like it too . . . I just wish Lifeson had played it right.

:outtahere:

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Any way he plays it is "right" since he wrote it. ;)

And rewrote it, apparently. . .

And rewrote it, apparently. . .

I don't think he played it like the original recording once the entire tour.

One of the absolute best parts is an LA bootleg of Working Man. At the end after Geddy (who, I don't care what anyone else says, is obviously affected by the fact that this is it - you can see if all through the song) leaves the stage, you hear a young woman's voice say:

"The lights are going down. We love you Rush."

• Like 1

For me the best part of the disc is Jacob's Ladder. Only thing I would change about it is that I wish they had gotten more of the orange lasers and captured the lightning flashes more. It's a great song to start with but it was elevated so much by the light show. 2112 also sounds great. Geddy really sounds good during Presentation.