The Only M O O N Thread

Crimsonmistymemory

This is what I've got going on tonight here in Goatnut

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2012/11/Halo-moon-with-Jupiter-Jan5_2012S-1024x735.jpg

I've seen that a couple of times - sure is pretty..!

Christmas Eve, 1968: Millions around the world were watching and listening as the Apollo 8 astronauts - Frank Borman, Jim Lovell and Bill Anders - became the first humans to orbit another world. During the first ever manned mission to the moon, the three astronauts sent this wondrous picture of the Earth rising over the moon.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/297755main_gpn-2001-000009_full_0.jpg?itok=qSgNdG2o

Dude Stanley Kubrick did that...it's all a hoax. I thought you knew better!

Was that monolith photo-shopped out???

Of course not........Clavius Base is on the far side of the moon. Dr. Heywood Floyd made a deal with NASA to ensure that no Apollo mission would take photos of Clavius Base......;) ;)

• Like 2

I'll never understand that optical illusion thing - how the moon, when it's close to the horizon, looks as gigantic as frig, but when it's high in the sky it looks small. I've had the thing explained to me, and I've done the "cover it with your thumb" thing, but I still don't get how it looks so much frigging humongouser on the horizon. .

It is the distortion of the Earths atmosphere. When the moon (or Sun) is on the horizon your are looking horizontal through the atmospere. When the Moon (or Sun) is over head you are looking vertical through the atmosphere So knowing the thickness of the Earths atmosphere is like the thickness of a skin on an apple there is very little distortion when you look vertically through it. However when you look horizontally the thickness is greatly increased and the moisture content of the air and dust act like a magnifying glass and enlarges the object in view. Another cool thing is the dust in the atmosphere is what gives the crimson/orange color of sunrises and sunsets and why the Moon will appear orange at the horizon, AKA Cider Moon
  • Like 1

It is the distortion of the Earths atmosphere. When the moon (or Sun) is on the horizon your are looking horizontal through the atmospere. When the Moon (or Sun) is over head you are looking vertical through the atmosphere So knowing the thickness of the Earths atmosphere is like the thickness of a skin on an apple there is very little distortion when you look vertically through it. However when you look horizontally the thickness is greatly increased and the moisture content of the air and dust act like a magnifying glass and enlarges the object in view. Another cool thing is the dust in the atmosphere is what gives the crimson/orange color of sunrises and sunsets and why the Moon will appear orange at the horizon, AKA Cider Moon

Thanks for the explanation - I had just been told it's a matter of perspective, some sort of tricksy brain thing. You explanation makes much more sense.