Official Release date for Not Fade Away and Rush S/T?

robertrobyn

Im trying to put together a complete list of official release dates for all the boys music titles and Im having trouble with the first single and the first LP. Im getting conflicting dates on both. Here is what I have so far for music. Im also going to work on a movie release date list. Have I forgotten something. Thanks for the help.

Rush “Not fade Away/You Can’t Fight It” Single:??

Rush S/T MN-100 ??

Rush S/T Mercury: March, 1 1974

Fly By Night: February 15, 1975

Caress Of Steel: September 1, 1975

2112: April 1, 1976

All The Worlds A Stage: September 29, 1976

A Farewell To Kings: September 1, 1977

Archives: April 1978

Hemispheres: October 29, 1978

Permanent Waves: January 1, 1980

Moving Pictures: February 12, 1981

Exit… Stage Left: October 29, 1981

Signals: September 9, 1982

Grace Under Pressure: April 12, 1984

Power Windows: October 29, 1985

Hold Your Fire: September 8, 1987

A Show Of Hands: January 10, 1989

Presto: November 21, 1989

Chronicles: September 4, 1990

Roll The Bones: September 3, 1991

Counterparts: October 19, 1993

Victor Alex Lifeson: January 9, 1996

Test For Echo: September 10, 1996

Retrospective 1 1974-1980: May 6, 1997

Retrospective 2 1981-1987: June 3, 1997

Different Stages: November 10, 1998

My Favorite Headache Geddy Lee: November 14, 2000

Vapor Trails: May 14, 2002

Spirit Of Radio Greatest Hits 1974-1987: February 11, 2003

Rush In Rio: October 21, 2003

R30: November 22, 2005

Rush GOLD: April 25, 2006

Grace Under Pressure 1984 Tour: June 13, 2006

Snakes & Arrows: May 1, 2007

Snakes & Arrows Live: April 15, 2008

Retrospective 3 March 3, 2008

Working Men: November 17, 2009

Time Stand Still The Collection: March 30, 2010

Icon Hits: August 31, 2010

Icon Hits 2: July 19, 2011

Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland: November 8, 2011

Sector 1: November 21, 2011

Sector 2: November 21, 2011

Sector 3: November 21, 2011

Moving Pictures Live 2011: November 8, 2011

Clockwork Angels: June 12, 2012

Clockwork Angels Tour Live: November 19, 2013

yeah I do not think that's right. I think the March 1st 1974 is the mercury release date not the moon MN-100.

I had a look at the Moon MN-100 - found same date. If not, jm sorry.

your MN-100 s/t Rush has a date of March 1st 1974?? I can not find a pic of it anywhere. Can you post a picture?

We have a lot of smart knowledgeable Rush people here and no one knows the official release date of the Not Fade Away/Cant fight It single and the 1st S/T LP on Moon. Come on people I have faith!!!

I learned something today about Lulu books I called to find out if there is a tracking number and they said they have not made the book yet it is being scheduled to be made today and then shipped. I did not know that Lulu has to make the books I thought that was pretty cool have never ordered a book like this before but I guess that's the wave of the future. they said it should take a week to 10 days to get.

yeah I do not think that's right. I think the March 1st 1974 is the mercury release date not the moon MN-100.

I had a look at the Moon MN-100 - found same date. If not, jm sorry.

your MN-100 s/t Rush has a date of March 1st 1974?? I can not find a pic of it anywhere. Can you post a picture?

In all honesty, I may well have cocked up slightly: I had another proper look, and realised that because I'd been looking on Wikipedia at the time, and that it mentioned both Moon and Mercury, I made the, um, assumption that, well...

dang...

:facepalm:

I learned something today about Lulu books I called to find out if there is a tracking number and they said they have not made the book yet it is being scheduled to be made today and then shipped. I did not know that Lulu has to make the books I thought that was pretty cool have never ordered a book like this before but I guess that's the wave of the future. they said it should take a week to 10 days to get.

I wasn't immediately aware of that. Not sure how I feel about that. I hope it's professionally done. I got an email saying it was shipped so I guess I'll find out soon enough

Well this isn't an exact release date but it gives you something to go on

September 29, 1973, Not Fade Away enters the Top 100 of RPM Magazine and was not in the previous chart. Come October 6th, NFA has climbed to a lofty 92

http://www.collectio...008388.4907.pdf

WOW great pic so single earlier than 9-29-73
  • Like 1

In addition, the Moon release date for the first album may be March 1974. The first album entered the RPM charts at 100 the first week in April. My guess is that the first album on Mercury wasn't available until well after March. To Here Again - that's amazing that you received the first album in February of '74 - were you already a fan? Had you seen them live before then and were waiting for the 1st album to come out? Details please :notworthy:
  • Like 1

I wasn't immediately aware of that. Not sure how I feel about that. I hope it's professionally done. I got an email saying it was shipped so I guess I'll find out soon enough

I'll have a chance to crack this open over the weekend.

Initial observation is that the bots are in fine form on this one.

According to Chronology, the first single was released August 31, 1973 (no other source cited)

Moon release is March 1 and Mercury reissue is August 10 (which differs from other published sources) according to this book.

Does this book need it's own discussion thread for the five of us that probably bought it?

Only up to the chapter on Fly By Night, but I'm very pleased to say I'm learning more things about the band and those early years (if they are correct.)

Early on I like the guy's attitude in his quest for the truth. (Although it's still mostly a chronological list, (possibly taken from calendars and other Rush-related websites and other online sources) there are some nice tidbits I didn't know before. (Such as there was a brief period in 1973 where Rutsey was sick and they needed an unnamed replacement drummer.)

Well circulated bootlegs are also used as a source. There are also some obvious typos, but nothing too majors as of yet. The Agora, Don Kirschner and Electric Ladyland are mentioned but there is the omission that Anthem and Fly By Night were filmed on a day off at an Atlanta Church in early March of 1975 (Unless this isn't true. However, he is upfront when debunking conflicting information so maybe he just missed this?)

I'm loving the book so far and although there may be omissions and typos. Everything does seem to be correct that is in here from what I already know. This is almost what "Mereley Players" should have been since there is an obvious attempt at some research here.

According to Chronology, the first single was released August 31, 1973 (no other source cited)

Moon release is March 1 and Mercury reissue is August 10 (which differs from other published sources) according to this book.

Does this book need it's own discussion thread for the five of us that probably bought it?

Only up to the chapter on Fly By Night, but I'm very pleased to say I'm learning more things about the band and those early years (if they are correct.)

Early on I like the guy's attitude in his quest for the truth. (Although it's still mostly a chronological list, (possibly taken from calendars and other Rush-related websites and other online sources) there are some nice tidbits I didn't know before. (Such as there was a brief period in 1973 where Rutsey was sick and they needed an unnamed replacement drummer.)

Well circulated bootlegs are also used as a source. There are also some obvious typos, but nothing too majors as of yet. The Agora, Don Kirschner and Electric Ladyland are mentioned but there is the omission that Anthem and Fly By Night were filmed on a day off at an Atlanta Church in early March of 1975 (Unless this isn't true. However, he is upfront when debunking conflicting information so maybe he just missed this?)

I'm loving the book so far and although there may be omissions and typos. Everything does seem to be correct that is in here from what I already know. This is almost what "Mereley Players" should have been since there is an obvious attempt at some research here.

Im learning a lot also if it is all true!! Yes Im one of the five that bought it. happy I did. Fighting it not to look in the back pages to see if they actually made it as a band or not!!

• Like 1

Still going through this (and liking it.)

Looks like he didn't reference a lot of the radio interviews done over the years. Seems like he only stuck with the written word so far.

Definitely could have used a copy editor, but it's nowhere near as bad as "Merley Players."

Hi Everyone,

Patrick Lemieux here. I wrote The Rush Chronology and am thrilled people are enjoying it! :-)

To answer a few questions, yes, the March 1975 Atlanta filming of "Anthem" and "Fly By Night" church 'videos' was something I missed. I guess these things happen and a future update will certainly include it!

As for "Not Fade Away" and its release date, here's the entry from the book:

(August 31)

Rush releases their debut single “Not Fade Away” in Canada on Moon Records.

7” single (MN-001):

“Not Fade Away” – a cover of the 1958 Buddy Holly song

“You Can’t Fight It”

“Not Fade Away” 3:18

Written by Norman Petty & Charles Hardin

Appears on: 7” single

Rush’s first single is the holy grail for the band’s fans and collectors, as it was limited in its original release and neither track appeared on their albums, despite numerous opportunities to re-issue it or include it as a bonus track. Rush’s cover of the Buddy Holly song is heavier than the original, of course, but the production seems a bit thin compared to their debut album. It sounds like the band is holding back from really laying on the hard rock. Rush was known for being both loud and heavy live right from the start and as great as the recording is, it doesn’t really reflect what the band was at the time, which may explain why they’ve chosen to never revisit it. For fans, though, it deserves to be properly remastered and re-released. Seek out both this and “You Can’t Fight It” if you’re a fan, it’s highly recommended, if just a bit imperfect as a snapshot of their earliest recording days.

“You Can’t Fight It” 2:54

Written by Geddy Lee & John Rutsey

Appears on: “Not Fade Away” 7” single

As rare as the single’s A-side, “Not Fade Away,” but slightly more valuable as an historical record, as it’s the first original Rush song ever released. Like with “Not Fade Away,” the production is a bit weaker than the band’s live sound was known for at the time, but the song still has a lot of energy as a straightforward rocker. Play it loud!

Note: the date comes from handwritten notation that appears on the label as posted on discogs.com. Other sources simply list the release date as “Summer,” so the handwritten date in certainly plausible.

The Discogs date is the best date I've found, though I can't confirm 100% if it's accurate. I also saw the September 29, 1973 RPM mag entry, which definitively tells us it was released prior to that date, and as noted in the book, that other sources only said "Summer" (if they note a time period at all) makes me inclined to believe the August 31, 1973 date, since all available evidence supports it. You can see the image here: http://www.discogs.com/Rush-Not-Fade-Away-You-Cant-Fight-It/release/3722117

To expand on the book a bit, my intention was to research as many sources as I could find. As with the March 1975 church session, I'm not above saying it's entirely possible I missed something something else. What research *is* in the book I did my best to cross-reference with multiple sources. If there is contradictory information, I also tried to note that, too, and generally went with what information seemed more likely, while including the alternative possibility. If I simply don't know and could find nothing about a release or session, I list it as "Date Unknown" and position it where it makes the most sense to me.

In my research, I took very little for granted. I tried to build as much from unbiased original sources as I could, reading tons of period articles and interviews, where writers were documenting what was happening in that moment (the latest singles, the current project, that sort of thing). Interviews given much later can sometimes be misleading (not always, but occasionally the band get a detail slightly wrong for whatever reason, because memories fade and blur or they only had a second or two to think of an answer in an interview), so I was constantly comparing what, for example, Neil might say in 2011 about a session in 1976 to what he said in 1976 about the same session, when it was still a fresh experience. When in doubt, I note both, unless something is glaringly wrong (and there is one example that comes to mind of a mistaken date in there that he got wrong that I had to detail why it was incorrect. I won't ruin the surprise except to say the error gets reproduced in a lot of sources, despite being very demonstrably wrong). So that's a bit about my process and as I say in the intro of the book, I try to be as transparent and accurate as possible with the research.

I hope to hear more thoughts on the book! I did start a thread on it, though there aren't too many replies there yet, but I'm encouraged that it's being discussed on other threads. I'm happy to engage in discussion on anything in it or how I wrote it or if there's a mistake you spot (and typos, gah, I can't seem to escape them no matter how many editing passes I and others do, but that's true of nearly every book, so I correct them for a future update).

Cheers!

:-)

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Patrick Lemieux here. I wrote The Rush Chronology and am thrilled people are enjoying it! :-)

To answer a few questions, yes, the March 1975 Atlanta filming of "Anthem" and "Fly By Night" church 'videos' was something I missed. I guess these things happen and a future update will certainly include it!

(August 31)

7” single (MN-001):

“You Can’t Fight It”

Rush’s first single is the holy grail for the band’s fans and collectors, as it was limited in its original release and neither track appeared on their albums, despite numerous opportunities to re-issue it or include it as a bonus track. Rush’s cover of the Buddy Holly song is heavier than the original, of course, but the production seems a bit thin compared to their debut album. It sounds like the band is holding back from really laying on the hard rock. Rush was known for being both loud and heavy live right from the start and as great as the recording is, it doesn’t really reflect what the band was at the time, which may explain why they’ve chosen to never revisit it. For fans, though, it deserves to be properly remastered and re-released. Seek out both this and “You Can’t Fight It” if you’re a fan, it’s highly recommended, if just a bit imperfect as a snapshot of their earliest recording days.

As rare as the single’s A-side, “Not Fade Away,” but slightly more valuable as an historical record, as it’s the first original Rush song ever released. Like with “Not Fade Away,” the production is a bit weaker than the band’s live sound was known for at the time, but the song still has a lot of energy as a straightforward rocker. Play it loud!

Note: the date comes from handwritten notation that appears on the label as posted on discogs.com. Other sources simply list the release date as “Summer,” so the handwritten date in certainly plausible.

The Discogs date is the best date I've found, though I can't confirm 100% if it's accurate. I also saw the September 29, 1973 RPM mag entry, which definitively tells us it was released prior to that date, and as noted in the book, that other sources only said "Summer" (if they note a time period at all) makes me inclined to believe the August 31, 1973 date, since all available evidence supports it. You can see the image here: http://www.discogs.c...release/3722117

To expand on the book a bit, my intention was to research as many sources as I could find. As with the March 1975 church session, I'm not above saying it's entirely possible I missed something something else. What research *is* in the book I did my best to cross-reference with multiple sources. If there is contradictory information, I also tried to note that, too, and generally went with what information seemed more likely, while including the alternative possibility. If I simply don't know and could find nothing about a release or session, I list it as "Date Unknown" and position it where it makes the most sense to me.

In my research, I took very little for granted. I tried to build as much from unbiased original sources as I could, reading tons of period articles and interviews, where writers were documenting what was happening in that moment (the latest singles, the current project, that sort of thing). Interviews given much later can sometimes be misleading (not always, but occasionally the band get a detail slightly wrong for whatever reason, because memories fade and blur or they only had a second or two to think of an answer in an interview), so I was constantly comparing what, for example, Neil might say in 2011 about a session in 1976 to what he said in 1976 about the same session, when it was still a fresh experience. When in doubt, I note both, unless something is glaringly wrong (and there is one example that comes to mind of a mistaken date in there that he got wrong that I had to detail why it was incorrect. I won't ruin the surprise except to say the error gets reproduced in a lot of sources, despite being very demonstrably wrong). So that's a bit about my process and as I say in the intro of the book, I try to be as transparent and accurate as possible with the research.

I hope to hear more thoughts on the book! I did start a thread on it, though there aren't too many replies there yet, but I'm encouraged that it's being discussed on other threads. I'm happy to engage in discussion on anything in it or how I wrote it or if there's a mistake you spot (and typos, gah, I can't seem to escape them no matter how many editing passes I and others do, but that's true of nearly every book, so I correct them for a future update).

Cheers!

Im reading now. Every night just a little before bed. Please post a link to the thread you started!!

Hi Everyone,

(August 31)

7” single (MN-001):

“You Can’t Fight It”

The Discogs date is the best date I've found, though I can't confirm 100% if it's accurate. I also saw the September 29, 1973 RPM mag entry, which definitively tells us it was released prior to that date, and as noted in the book, that other sources only said "Summer" (if they note a time period at all) makes me inclined to believe the August 31, 1973 date, since all available evidence supports it. You can see the image here: http://www.discogs.c...release/3722117

Cheers!

That's awesome! I'm still going through it. (trying to savor it really) Not sure how accurate discogs is (don't really use it myself) I think a discussion would be great.

Would I be correct in assuming that you didn't have access to many radio interviews? You seem to be very thorough, but that is one avenue that didn't seem to be fully explored. But it's obvious that "care has been taken."