New Rush book!

MadTheDJ

Hmm...I've got 8 Rush books, which already seems kind of excessive. I wonder if there's anything new to learn. What kind person would like to purchase this and report back?

Hi everyone :-)

I was over in the Counterpart Forum sharing this and it was suggested I also do so here. I wrote some of this over there as an introduction to me and the book, since, despite being a Rush fan since 1993 and Roll The Bones era, I haven't been active in the Rush fan community until now. I'm a Canadian artist and writer, currently living in Toronto. Because I haven't been on Rush forums online before I put the book out, I've been pretty nervous since its release. I'm confident in my research and work, but there's never any predicting what my fellow fans will think. I hope people like the book and find it interesting and informative.

A bit about the book:

This is my fourth Chronology book, the others being about Queen (co-written with a friend of mine), Mike Oldfield and Barenaked Ladies. That probably looks like an odd mix of artists to write about, and all I can say is that I have eclectic tastes. Rush would've been the second book I wrote (after Queen), but given the books out there, some I'd read, some I hadn't, I wasn't sure what new I could offer fans. I really hope this doesn't sound like a commercial for the book, because I don't mean it as such, I just want you to know where I was coming from and what changed my mind. And what did that was the Fly By Night album, believe it or not. I became fascinated by just how much it represented the period of transition between the John Rutsey era and the Neil Peart era. It wasn't a single great revelation, it was more a gradual unearthing of pieces of information about the album. The 'Beyond The Lighted Stage' DVD/BR had "Best I Can" from the Laura Secord Secondary School concert, a song with John that later appeared on Fly By Night, Neil's first Rush album. I hadn't heard a pre-Neil version at the time, so this was fascinating to me. Another piece was the August 26, 1975, Cleveland concert at the Agora Ballroom (as heard on the Rush ABC release). You have the completed "Best I Can," of course, but there's also the snippets of the "7/4 War Furor" from "By-Tor" appearing in "Working Man." When the complete Laura Secord show was put out on R40, you can see that portion hasn't yet emerged, despite being only months apart. I started to speculate about when "Best I Can" was written, as Neil's not on the writing credits. Jumping ahead to the December 16th Agora Ballroom bootleg, "Fly By Night" (not yet complete) and "Anthem" (mostly complete) had surfaced and the "7/4 War Furor" was firmly embedded in "Working Man," seemingly awaiting a home in a future composition. Then I read that "Anthem"'s riff pre-dated Neil, that Geddy and Alex wrote it while John was still in the band, that John didn't like playing it, so it never went further until Neil arrived. They even played it, the three of them, at Neil's audition.

All this is by way of saying I was listening to these tracks and mentally putting the chronology of Fly By Night together, slowly coming to the realization that maybe there was something to offer in a direct, detailed-as-I-could-be look at Rush's recording history without resorting to being anecdotal (I did not want to repeat other people's stories, unless they directly or closely-indirectly affected writing, recording or releasing material, if that makes sense). In writing each of the other books, while using the same chronological and stylistic approach, I found they took on their own personality (naturally, because each career is different). I started digging deeper into the other albums, reviewing what I already knew from various sources, but reading more, scouring interviews, re-reading Neil's books, things like that. And of course listening to the albums again with all this in mind. Each album had a story and grew out of specific influences, many of which could be fitted together date by date. Not to sound dramatic, but that's kind of when I committed to writing the book, wanting to show other fans how it all fit together, more so than they might have realized (more so than *I* realized before I started to seriously research it). The same proved true of the solo albums and many of the guest appearances, that very little Rush has worked on was created in a vacuum. One project would influence another, tours impacted the albums which followed, real life affected all of it.

So, I wrote the book.

:-)

I'm happy to answer any questions as best I can. I'm curious what those who have bought the book by now think, too. I tried to be a transparent as I could be in it, naming sources for the information and being clear in my thoughts and opinions throughout. As I say in the introduction, if there's a mistake, it crept in despite my best effort, which is my way of asking not to be too harsh if you find something incorrect.

;-)

The book is also now up on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Cheers, everyone!

Edited by MadTheDJ
  • Like 1

Awesome, Robert! Thank you.

It means a lot to me that you're liking it.

Please let us know your thoughts as you work your way through it. I'm always up for discussing it and answering questions.

Cheers :-)

Some sources for Archives being April 1978:

2112.net Tour Dates, click on April 1, 1978 and scroll down to see a "Soon To Be Released" announcement from late March, in conjunction with the AFTK tour.

A March 27th concert review of their March 24th show (also viewable on 2112.net) notes it's forthcoming.

An April 1 RPM magazine feature on Anthem Records/SRO/Rush notes Archives is slated for release.

A May 11 Circus magazine article notes Archives was a recent release.

This narrows the window to between March 27 "forthcoming" and May 11 "recent". Factoring in practical considerations like the time it takes to write, proof and go to print for the May 11 article, an April release seems the most likely. I'd have to check my notes to see if I had a more specific source.

Martin Poppoff seems to have come to the same conclusion in The Illustrated History (or *he* has a more specific source), as he notes an April 1978 release for it, too.

:-)

Awesome, Robert! Thank you.

It means a lot to me that you're liking it.

Please let us know your thoughts as you work your way through it. I'm always up for discussing it and answering questions.

Cheers :-)

Thanks for dropping in and explaining in further detail what the book is all about.

The problem is you didn't put this thread in the right forum. If you had, you would likely have had more interest in the book on the board.

Peace!