Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

In under half an hour, Janie can make a succulent rump roast out of a pair of dirty socks cooked in a tea kettle at a cost of a buck forty-nine! She may need spreadsheets and graphs to chart out all the logistics but she can get it done! Truth.

:blaze:

Well she must have Cajun bloodline somewhere. Most Cajuns' could cook a suitcase or a pair of shoes that could be good enough to serve in a 5 star establishment. I have mentioned previously in this thread that one of the highest honors a chef can have is to beable to take the cheapest of the cheap ingredients and make a dish that would knock ones socks off.

• Like 1

In under half an hour, Janie can make a succulent rump roast out of a pair of dirty socks cooked in a tea kettle at a cost of a buck forty-nine! She may need spreadsheets and graphs to chart out all the logistics but she can get it done! Truth.

:blaze:

Well she must have Cajun bloodline somewhere. Most Cajuns' could cook a suitcase or a pair of shoes that could be good enough to serve in a 5 star establishment. I have mentioned previously in this thread that one of the highest honors a chef can have is to beable to take the cheapest of the cheap ingredients and make a dish that would knock ones socks off.

BigDaddyBlaze must be part Cajun. Luckily, MommaBlaze is an excellent cook in her own right. But B.D.Blaze can use the bare minimum of ingredients + make it look effortless and turn out a prime time meal. Before every visit he asks me what I'd like him to cook...I'm 43 and I still have a meal request list similar to when I was a college kid home for the weekend.

• Like 1

Maybe I ought to go back and get it tomorrow. I hate buying anything like that in Wal-Mart because it's been my experience in the store out here that it has a tendency to sell products that are poorly manufactured.

Check out Target. They have about the same prices on stuff but better quality.

• Like 1

Maybe I ought to go back and get it tomorrow. I hate buying anything like that in Wal-Mart because it's been my experience in the store out here that it has a tendency to sell products that are poorly manufactured.

I wish I had thought this morning to look in there. Target is right across the street from Good Will.

But I will check them out. You are right about Target having better quality stuff.

• Like 1

I wish I had thought this morning to look in there. Target is right across the street from Good Will.

But I will check them out. You are right about Target having better quality stuff.

Well, buying the HB slow cooker from Wal Mart, should be fine since that brand itself is high-quality. You can't beat that price! As long as it looks like the box has never been opened, I would buy it. I know you didn't want one so large but you can do a lot with leftovers and get a few extra meals out of one. I think most slow cookers come in the 6-qt size and it might be difficult to find a smaller one. :huh:

We are having a bit of wind here today and it is affecting my internet speed, which is to say it's slower than normal, if that can be believed.

Be that as it may, since the weather is turning sharply cooler here, I thought to use my Dutch oven to cook up a good chicken meal on Monday. My computer won't load the recipe sites, or they are designed for high speed and certainly not dial up users.

I'd like to make the first recipe that was given here, but that's an outdoor grill recipe.

If anyone can bring here some good chicken Dutch oven recipes to make in an oven, I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

We are having a bit of wind here today and it is affecting my internet speed, which is to say it's slower than normal, if that can be believed.

Be that as it may, since the weather is turning sharply cooler here, I thought to use my Dutch oven to cook up a good chicken meal on Monday. My computer won't load the recipe sites, or they are designed for high speed and certainly not dial up users.

I'd like to make the first recipe that was given here, but that's an outdoor grill recipe.

If anyone can bring here some good chicken Dutch oven recipes to make in an oven, I would appreciate it.

You can check this out.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,dutch_oven_chicken,FF.html

I was able to get this Dutch Oven pork roast recipe. Sounds delicious!

http://www.food.com/...utch-oven-44278

Janie will chime in. :D

It's her birthday. I don't think so! :LOL:

I have the pork roast recipe and that sounds better than anything to do with chicken. With mashed potatoes and carrots and gravy, it will be delicious!! :wub:

Good choice,

I will take the pork over the chicken any day. :D

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Lorraine have you bought the HB slow cooker? I bought mine a few days back and gave it a test run last night. I made a stew in it, on high. It. Was. Amazing. Seriously, amazing. This changes my outlook on slow cookers. I'm so glad I ditched my Crock Pot and got the 6-qt Hamilton-Beach number. Now that the weather has gotten a lot cooler and fall is fast approaching, I'm planning on using it once a week I think.
  • Like 1

I don't get the concept of the slow cooker, I'd prefer a FAST cooker! :D-13:

But a slow cooker makes the house smell soooooooo good for soooooooo long. It's a beautiful thing.

I thought cooking smells were bad?? http://r31.imgfast.net/users/3117/42/42/78/smiles/874442478.gif

But a slow cooker makes the house smell soooooooo good for soooooooo long. It's a beautiful thing.

I thought cooking smells were bad?? http://r31.imgfast.net/users/3117/42/42/78/smiles/874442478.gif

Only if it's broccoli or cauliflower. Or something burnt.

WTH are you cooking?! Fresh bread smells incredible. Roasted garlic, sautéed onions, bacon frying, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies... IDK, these are good smells. Are you boiling cabbage leaves and frying fish heads or something?!

• Like 3