Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

Congrats on your new dutch oven I think you did get a good deal I have seen prices of dutch ovens very much higher. Yes you should do you own seasoning.

It is quite simple to do. Remember the more the iron is seasoned the more flavor it will add to your food.

As far as crock pots go just stay away from the cheapest of the cheap. "Crock Pot" is the original and I prefer them. Make sure that which ever one you decide on has High Low and Auto settings and you will be fine. Another feature that is common now is the removable cooking ceramic. Makes easy cleaning quick work or refrigerate and reheat in the oven.

Edit; Classic CMM misspell

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Congrats on your new dutch oven I think you did get a good deal I have seen prices of dutch ovens very much higher. Yes you should do you own seasoning.

It is quite simple to do. Remember the more the iron is seasoned the more flavor it will add to your food.

As far as crock pots go just stay away from the cheapest of the cheap. "Crock Pot" is the original and I prefer them. Make sure that which ever one you deside on has High Low and Auto settings and you will be fine. Another feature that is common now is the removable cooking ceramic. Makes easy cleaning quick work or refrigerate and reheat in the oven.

Thank you! i will look back and try to find your post telling me how to season it.

And I'm glad I asked about the Slow Cooker. Actually, I had one this morning to buy along with the Dutch oven, but didn't have money with me (thought I did) for the two of them, so I chose to get the Dutch oven.

We have a big can of bacon fat so I am all set!

What's the least you've ever eaten in a day, not including any days when you were sick?

I fasted once for ten days. No food. Just some fruit juice.

Did it get you into true hard body shape with six pack abs and buns of steel?

What's the least you've ever eaten in a day, not including any days when you were sick?

No. At the time, my only concern was losing weight as fast as possible.

By the way, Treeduck, I was telling my husband about your stove/oven and he was wondering how much money they go for over in your neck of the woods?

Perfect! just be sure your bacon fat it is not rancid (too old) the more seasoning you can do the better and remeber no washing with soap! also remember the more you cook with it is also seasoning and if you leave it idle for long periods re season and kep well coated to prevent rusting.

Edit; make sure you season the lid as well I know probably a "duh"comment on my end I just wanted to make sure.

Perfect! just be sure your bacon fat it is not rancid (too old) the more seasoning you can do the better and remeber no washing with soap! also remember the more you cook with it is also seasoning and if you leave it idle for long periods re season and kep well coated to prevent rusting.

Edit; make sure you season the lid as well I know probably a "duh"comment on my end I just wanted to make sure.

What do you mean keep well coated to prevent rusting?

Red Letter Day!

I bought a 5 quart Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven this morning. With tax it came to $44.83. I don't think I got a deal, but I always figure in the amount of gas money it would cost me to travel to "save" a few dollars.

This thing is heavy enough to be quite a weapon.

You can add it to your rock collection,

For self defense. :D

• Like 1

No. At the time, my only concern was losing weight as fast as possible.

By the way, Treeduck, I was telling my husband about your stove/oven and he was wondering how much money they go for over in your neck of the woods?

Well I think you can get them pretty cheap because a stove/grill/oven is pretty much a standard thing in the UK. Mine came with the kitchen though, I had the whole place refitted.

• Like 1

What do you mean keep well coated to prevent rusting?

You do not want the steel to go unprotected while not in use, especially if you live in a humid enviroment like I do in Florida. So you want to make sure that you keep oil wiped on the pan in between uses. What I usually do with my well seasoned cast iron ware is, after washing (without soap) I use a paper towel with some veggie or light olive oil and wipe the pan/dutch oven till the black steel is shiney to the eye. you do not have to douse it but the oily film will prevent rusting. Of course the best way to prevent rusting is to use the cast iron constantly. Then wiping with oil after each use and wash, but if there is long durations of time between uses keeping the Cast iron well oiled will prevent rust and the need for a complete stripping and reseasoning. Of course if you cook Bacon or burgers in the pan you can reserve the fat and use that for the wiping oil. In my opinion (& many others) animal fats are the best to season and preserve with.

• Like 1

Red Letter Day!

I bought a 5 quart Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven this morning. With tax it came to $44.83. I don't think I got a deal, but I always figure in the amount of gas money it would cost me to travel to "save" a few dollars.

This thing is heavy enough to be quite a weapon.

WOOHOO! I'm so proud of you! You won't be disappointed. :yes:

• Like 1

Can someone here suggest a good and trustworthy name brand for a Slow Cooker?

Maybe I will get that tomorrow in Wal-Mart. If I have the nerve to venture into the store. It's the end of the month, so it should be safe now. :laughing guy:

Don't, just do NOT go to Wal Mart, no matter how desperate you are. You're in Seattle, right? Go to Fred Meyer, Target or Bed Bath and Beyond (a great place since they have their 20% off coupons). FM and Target always have good deals on kitchen appliances.

Here's what I have and I like it. It came with this tiny sauce/warmer mini Crock Pot. Score.

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/15772773/module/crockpotus/_cp/products/1413306815423/tab-66fcd311-b3a6-47e4-8d97-061d34f62f53/69c18851-17de-4293-8e54-50d7968504be.jpg.w480.jpg

The larger Crock Pot has a timer/countdown feature which is nice. I don't like the ones with just the dial for warm, low and high. Once the cooking time has been reached, it automatically switches to, "warm." I like this feature.

• Like 1

Janie, not Seattle, Spokane area. That's where I got the Dutch oven - Fred Meyers.

Where did you get that Crock Pot - Fred Meyers? That's the one I am going to look for.

I think I got the set at BBB actually, a number of years back. That Crock Pot has been used quite a bit. I've been using it every so often this summer. It really is a great way to have a nice meal without heating up an already hot kitchen!

• Like 3

Janie, not Seattle, Spokane area. That's where I got the Dutch oven - Fred Meyers.

Where did you get that Crock Pot - Fred Meyers? That's the one I am going to look for.

I think I got the set at BBB actually, a number of years back. That Crock Pot has been used quite a bit. I've been using it every so often this summer. It really is a great way to have a nice meal without heating up an already hot kitchen!

:yes:

• Like 1

Do you remember what you paid for it?

I looked this morning at Crock Pots - they had a four quart on sale for $29.99 that automatically switches to "warm" when the desired temp is reached. It looks like the one you have, Janie.

OMG DON'T BUY IT! So, with all this talk over Crock Pots and my being a total Type A who loves to research I got my serious nerd on and this is what I found. Crock Pot is one of the worst brands out there. It's all I ever had because I figured it was the best. They are so well-known. My big complaint with the current one I have is that it gets too hot and everything is over-done. Meat is dry and tough while vegetables turn to mush.

From reviews on Bed, Bath and Beyond, Amazon and Consumer Reports, the two best brands of slow cookers are: HAMILTON BEACH and CUISINART.

Taking performance and cost into consideration, the best choice is the Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-Quart size for about $50.

Cuisinart had great reviews too but they're a bit pricier, running $140-$180.

For die-hard Crock Pot fans, there was one version that faired well and it was the 6-qt Cook 'n Carry ($30 for manual, $50 for programmable).

I freakin' diagrammed everything out. I'm almost surprised I didn't break out the graphs.

• Like 1

I looked this morning at Crock Pots - they had a four quart on sale for $29.99 that automatically switches to "warm" when the desired temp is reached. It looks like the one you have, Janie.

OMG DON'T BUY IT! So, with all this talk over Crock Pots and my being a total Type A who loves to research I got my serious nerd on and this is what I found. Crock Pot is one of the worst brands out there. It's all I ever had because I figured it was the best. They are so well-known. My big complaint with the current one I have is that it gets too hot and everything is over-done. Meat is dry and tough while vegetables turn to mush.

From reviews on Bed, Bath and Beyond, Amazon and Consumer Reports, the two best brands of slow cookers are: HAMILTON BEACH and CUISINART.

Taking performance and cost into consideration, the best choice is the Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, 6-Quart size for about $50.

Cuisinart had great reviews too but they're a bit pricier, running $140-$180.

For die-hard Crock Pot fans, there was one version that faired well and it was the 6-qt Cook 'n Carry ($30 for manual, $50 for programmable).

I freakin' diagrammed everything out. I'm almost surprised I didn't break out the graphs.

Janie, thank you most sincerely!

I don't need a six quart - we could get by with a four quart one - so that would be less expensive.

I will look to see if Fred Meyer's sells Hamilton Beach or Cuisinart. If not, I will go to BBB. Maybe I'll try Kohl's first since that's closer than BBB.

Edited by Lorraine

In under half an hour, Janie can make a succulent rump roast out of a pair of dirty socks cooked in a tea kettle at a cost of a buck forty-nine! She may need spreadsheets and graphs to chart out all the logistics but she can get it done! Truth.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I have never had a problem with my Crock Pot brand 6qt manual setting crock pot but then again I very rarely use the high temp range unless I want to make sure it is up to temp before cutting back to Med. Mine only has 3 settings High, Medium and Warm. I used to have a programmable one that had an auto feature that I liked to use because it would toggle between High and Med automatically. I also prefer to have the 6qt as opposed to the 4qt because If I decide to do a whole chicken or large roast or my famous crock pot stuffed peppers there is plenty of room for main item and additionals. But I have between 4-6 people to feed as well so the larger size suits my needs better. I am thinking about hetting a smaller one for my camper when it is just Lovely and I and maybe grandaughter.
  • Like 1