Rush Replacement Checklist

antiquark

So now that Rush is giving the impression that they're retired, it's time to find another band that's like Rush, but not Rush.

So I've composed a tentative checklist of Rush-esque qualities, to help me find a Rush replacement band.

After thinking long and hard (oh, about 10 minutes), I've decided that the band should exhibit the following traits:

1. Currently active, not retired.
  2. Technically proficient musicians.
  3. Lyrics are not trivial BS, such as love songs or songs about hoes and bling.
  4. Their songs are somewhat hummable.
  5. Bonus points of their songs are catchy.

So yeah, if anyone knows of bands that fit the above checklist, let me know!

Here they are...an amazing group

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/I+want+to+print+this+and+shove+it+in+every+_250e48c10ac60a8cc8eae9c8f64f3557.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 7

what's with all this "giving the impression that they've retired" stuff? i mean, both geddy and alex have stated EXPLICITLY that this is not the end of the band and yet everyone still goes on like they've said exactly the opposite.

I DON'T GET IT.

• Like 3

what's with all this "giving the impression that they've retired" stuff? i mean, both geddy and alex have stated EXPLICITLY that this is not the end of the band and yet everyone still goes on like they've said exactly the opposite.

I DON'T GET IT.

And when you watch this,

No way. Neil is on his game big time!! They just need to chill out for a while and give Neil his space. :cool:

I grew up with them so I am happy no matter what they decide.

So now that Rush is giving the impression that they're retired, it's time to find another band that's like Rush, but not Rush.

So I've composed a tentative checklist of Rush-esque qualities, to help me find a Rush replacement band.

After thinking long and hard (oh, about 10 minutes), I've decided that the band should exhibit the following traits:

1. Currently active, not retired.

2. Technically proficient musicians.

3. Lyrics are not trivial BS, such as love songs or songs about hoes and bling.

4. Their songs are somewhat hummable.

5. Bonus points of their songs are catchy.

So yeah, if anyone knows of bands that fit the above checklist, let me know!

Rush is like a marriage. After so many years with a partner it's not like one just anoints a successor. It's scary treading into uncharted water, that has changed since becoming a union all those years ago.

What in God's name did I just watch???

A weird video by a band that is majorly talented. I love this group. Can't wait to see them again

• Like 1

Weird video for sure (as usual), but what did you think of the song? That's one of my faves from their last album.

Try these. Some good odd-time stuff here:

• Like 6

Weird video for sure (as usual), but what did you think of the song? That's one of my faves from their last album.

Pretty good. What is a good Mastodon album to start with?

My "technique" for determining if I like a band is to listen to one album like 50 times. After that, either I like the band, or the gag reflex kicks in!

My "technique" for determining if I like a band is to listen to one album like 50 times. After that, either I like the band, or the gag reflex kicks in!

Start here...you won't gag...unless you're too old to appreciate it

220px-Leviathan_special_edition_cover.jpg

• Like 2

If you want their more proggy side, start with Crack The Skye. The second song I posted is from that album. After that I'd try Blood Mountain. That album includes the following instrumental:

TM recommended Leviathan up there. If you're not too into really sludgy (yet proggy) metal I might not start there.

• Like 2

If you want their more proggy side, start with Crack The Skye. The second song I posted is from that album. After that I'd try Blood Mountain. That album includes the following instrumental:

TM recommended Leviathan up there. If you're not too into really sludgy (yet proggy) metal I might not start there.

True. I thought starting from the beginning would help him appreciate the tremendous growth the band has gone through...only reason for that.

True. I thought starting from the beginning would help him appreciate the tremendous growth the band has gone through...only reason for that.

Good point, but I always think, if I want to turn a Rush fan onto Mastodon, I'm going to start with the real proggy stuff, and to me that's Crack The Skye and then Blood Mountain.

• Like 3

Good point, but I always think, if I want to turn a Rush fan onto Mastodon, I'm going to start with the real proggy stuff, and to me that's Crack The Skye and then Blood Mountain.

Yep...those albums give me prog boners

I love the thread but no way in hell does this band replace RUSH. Jesus. Not even close.

Not even Tool.

Not even Steven Wilson.

Not even Riverside.

Steel Panther will replace RUSH.

Give me a break boyz.

• Like 1

Not that Rush is over..... but there's plenty of music out there.

Including DT... my local boys who I've seen 10 times.