All right. I'm calling some of you guys out . . .

Rick N. Backer

My bottom 5

Vapor Trails

Presto

Rush

Clockwork Angels

Snakes & Arrows

Presto belongs there. It's predecessor is worse though.

You can't mean Hold Your Fire, do you? :dweez:

I think I'll go and give a listen to some of these Rush bloopers gems right now. :)

HYF instead of what?

Definitely Clockwork, Snakes and the debut, IMO. Clockwork more than the other 3 though.

So you rate CA, S&A's and the Debut higher?

Bottom 5 and order doesn't matter...

Snakes & Arrows

Vapor Trails

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Interesting because I really like your last three. The production is thin on RTB's but I think there are some really good songs on it.

My bottom 5

Vapor Trails

Presto

Rush

Clockwork Angels

Snakes & Arrows

Presto belongs there. It's predecessor is worse though.

You can't mean Hold Your Fire, do you? :dweez:

I think I'll go and give a listen to some of these Rush bloopers gems right now. :)

HYF instead of what?

Definitely Clockwork, Snakes and the debut, IMO. Clockwork more than the other 3 though.

I like quite a bit of Clockwork. My biggest beef is with The Garden, which really is a dull ender to the record. It's monotonous, the lyrics are iffy, and the climactic string ending just comes off as meh. If you're going to have strings on a finale, then make the strings count.

I know this opinion isn't popular around here with some, but I agree with you. I think it's really dull.

Bottom 5 and order doesn't matter...

Snakes & Arrows

Vapor Trails

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Interesting because I really like your last three. The production is thin on RTB's but I think there are some really good songs on it.

I think there are some really good songs on all of them and I do enjoy the production of the last two but not enough to want to go out of my way to listen to. If there were a "best of the 90's" album I would probably be interested... :)
  • Like 1

I was at the Spectrum in Philadelphia Sept 25, 1980 when I first heard "Tom Sawyer" - I'm not sure how many times they had played it live, but at that point, it couldn't have been more than a handful ..

I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it ....

I have heard Xanadu mnay many many more times, and still love it

First I heard it was live too. I believe it was at the second Permanent Waves (not the pre Waves show) show I saw. It went something like... " Here is something from our upcoming release blah blah blah"... :)

Go for it Alex :D

and man, Neil was all over the place with the tempo ....

Some different lyrics ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kflP2yBvFY

It's funny how those warly versions are such train wrecks! :LOL:

I like the approach to the guitar solo. Analog Kid kind of shredding

It would blow everyone's mind if he did TS with that solo in concert.

I think they dialed the solo back when they recorded it because it's a tricky time signature with everyone 'soloing'.

I Alex had some pharmaceutical help going on with that solo. :LOL:

I was at the Spectrum in Philadelphia Sept 25, 1980 when I first heard "Tom Sawyer" - I'm not sure how many times they had played it live, but at that point, it couldn't have been more than a handful ..

First I heard it was live too. I believe it was at the second Permanent Waves (not the pre Waves show) show I saw. It went something like... " Here is something from our upcoming release blah blah blah"... :)

Some different lyrics ..

I think they dialed the solo back when they recorded it because it's a tricky time signature with everyone 'soloing'.

Now you are making me want to listen through the mess to hear it. Here goes...
  • Like 1

Some different lyrics ..

Man was that awful... :eh:

Some different lyrics ..

Man was that awful... :eh:

It's not THAT bad. :LOL:

Bottom five?

Vapor Trails (which I love. It's just that I love 13 others more)

Test for Echo (I like/love half of it)

Counterparts

Presto

RTB

Nice list... :cheers:

I am loving this thread

Feel free to jump right in with any insults comments you may have. It's a good practice thread. :)

OK.

Everyone who hates on HYF or Presto but praises Counterparts need to stick their head in a drum whilst I kick your ass.

Between the butt bruising and the intense drumming the sensation should bring you too your senses.

For every fan who thinks CA is METAL, good one! You made me laugh.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

I am loving this thread

Feel free to jump right in with any insults comments you may have. It's a good practice thread. :)

OK.

Everyone who hates on HYF but praises Counterparts need to stick their head in a drum whilst I kick your ass.

Between the butt bruising and the intense drumming the sensation should bring you too your senses.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

I am loving this thread

OK.

Everyone who hates on HYF but praises Counterparts need to stick their head in a drum whilst I kick your ass.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

*tears up*

I thank my beautiful family and the gift of chickpeas for all my success.

Fans, no need to applaud me. I applaud you.

*breaks down*

And now for my riverdance

*completely loses it*

• Like 2

I am loving this thread

OK.

*tears up*

I thank my beautiful family and the gift of chickpeas for all my success.

Fans, no need to applaud me. I applaud you.

*breaks down*

And now for my riverdance

*completely loses it*

Chickpeas will do it every time!

• Like 1

I think it's generally true, not just of Rush but of all bands, that people come to love a band because they LOVE not just one or two but several of their songs. They've been deeply moved in some way and on some level an emotional bond with the band is estsblished.

As such, people sometimes initially like a band because they like their songs, and later like their songs because they like the band. If it doesn't grab them on the first spin they'll give it another spin, and even another, and another, etc.

But it's all subjective. Many were hooked into Rush by the stuff before Signsls, and it took effort for them to appreciate the later stuff, though undoubtedly many were hooked by stuff between Signals and Presto and it took them some effort to appreciate the earlier stuff, etc.

Personally, I think there's a "magic" to the albums between COS and Signals that just can't be found on their earlier and later material (and I genuinely LOVE a lot of the stuff before and after that time frame). I think they peaked with PeW and plateaued between Signals and Counterparts, the rest somewhere in between, with the last two albums being best since their peak.

On some level I appreciate it all, from "Rush" through "CA".

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

No chickpeas for you.

Maybe some knife broth with a sprinkling of cyanide will do the trick!

(Just practising my evil)

• Like 2

Bottom five

1 (tie): Presto and S&A

3-5. Power Windows, Counterparts, and Roll the Bones, the order depending on the day

Bottom five

1 (tie): Presto and S&A

3-5. Power Windows, Counterparts, and Roll the Bones, the order depending on the day

Get your head back in the drum.

Lemme kick your butt better this time!

EDIT: you included Counterparts. You can go

Edited by Segue Myles

Bottom 5?

Geez, this is sure to upset someone, but I'll give it a shot:

HYF, Presto, RTB, and TFE definitely, but the 5th is tough (either GuP, PoW, or VT).

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Bottom 5?

HYF, Presto, RTB, and TFE definitely, but the 5th is tough (either GuP, PoW, or VT).

Bottom 5?

I intend to make an effort to find some love for HYF, primarily because of what Narps had written about how he came to love it, and because I know you love it and that alone is enough for me to consider whether I may be missing something there.

But I have to wonder, if indeed I should come to change my opinion about it, whether I 'really like it' or just 'learned to like it' because I love Rush so much for their other material (which required no effort on my part to love) and would like to like some of their other stuff more.

Who knows what other music I might come to 'love' if I were sufficiently motivated...

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1