Vital Signs

Lucas

Hello. My name is Tom

(HI TOM!)

Hi..... and I...... well......... Vital Signs is one of my favorite Rush songs... in fact... well........ it may be my favorite.

There. I said it........... now you know my silent shame.

Newbie?

Hugs!

Hello. My name is Tom

(HI TOM!)

Hi..... and I...... well......... Vital Signs is one of my favorite Rush songs... in fact... well........ it may be my favorite.

There. I said it........... now you know my silent shame.

Newbie?

Hugs!

Actually - I joined 4 years ago! As you can see though, I'm not much of a poster

Oh man, glad to see this song getting some love. It's one of my favorites, not just out of Rush's catalog, but of all songs in general. I once brought it into a music class as my example of what I thought a perfect song was. The lyric is so masterful -- really takes advantage of what rock / pop lyric writing can do, and the techno-slang lingo perfectly matches the cyber-reggae groove.

Maybe what I like most about it is that it's so quintessentially Rush. Not that this should be considered representative of their sound stylistically -- in fact, the reverse: they brought their sound to so many different styles. No one else would've made this song sound quite like they did.

For someone who views Permanent Waves as "the beginning of the end", you might figure that Vital Signs would be the last song I pick to start a thread ..

When I first bought Moving Pictures, I could barely bring myself to listen to it - but out of the entire RUSH catalog, Vital Signs is THE song that has done the full 180 ..

I love it, and as time goes by, it really stands out for me more and more - maybe even Top 25 ...

The lyrics are perfect - not over explained - ambiguous enough to really fit the music ..

Everybody got mixed feelings

About the function and the form

Everybody got to elevate from the norm

The band was obviously going thru a change - and I am sure Neil, in particular, saw it as "evolving"

Everybody got to deviate from the norm

I take this as not only a deviation from the societal norm, by perhaps also from the personal "norm" - again, change within the band, the musical direction, and most likely, the relationships within the band ..

The impulse is pure

Sometimes our circuits get shorted

By external interference

Signals get crossed

And the balance distorted

By internal incoherence

Internal incoherence - could Neil be referring to that within the band, or perhaps Terry Brown, or is this more a general take on society ala Witch Hunt ?

Whatever the case, Vital Signs is a pretty fascinating little piece of music - and the band did it well ...

SIGNALS get crossed - an example of a lyric that carried over - a segue if you will - to the new beginning ...

Also of interest is the original Permanent Waves cover that was posted here the other day - the "vital signs" cover ...

What do ya think ?

I was surprised when I first heard that it was one of the first songs recorded for MP, because it is the most "Signals-like" of all the songs on MP and seems in retrospect a hint as to where they were headed musically. I think it could have fit seamlessly amongst the tracks on Signals (for better or for worse, depending on which era of Rush you prefer).

• Like 1

It is the weakest song on MP, with the possible exception of Witch Hunt. But Witch Hunt didn't foretell the downfall of classic Rush, so I reserve more opprobrium for Vital Signs. Fitting well on Signals is not an honor.
  • Like 1

I reserve more opprobrium for Vital Signs.

He said "opprobrium"

noun

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

He said "opprobrium"

noun

Please, sir. I am a much more expensive whore than that, even adjusted for inflation.

• Like 1

He said "opprobrium"

noun

Please, sir. I am a much more expensive whore than that, even adjusted for inflation.

Ahhhh...and worth every penny

• Like 1

He said "opprobrium"

noun

That's what she said.

• Like 1

It is the weakest song on MP, with the possible exception of Witch Hunt. But Witch Hunt didn't foretell the downfall of classic Rush, so I reserve more opprobrium for Vital Signs. Fitting well on Signals is not an honor.

I disagree, and this coming from someone who isn't crazy about Signals, and whose interest definitely waned after Signals ..

Going back to Rivendell, RUSH periodically dabbled playing outside the boundaries ... "Tears" ( which I love ), and "Madrigal" also come to mind as songs that don't fit the "classic Rush" mold

Vital Signs was dark - I liked that a lot, and it was done so well - it wasn't a feeble or out of character attempt like so many of their subsequent efforts ..

What I like about the lyrics so much - and what I feel separates it from some of the songs on Signals - is the ambiguity ... Signals was so literal in so many places, bordering on corny - which will ruin any vibe for me ....

I don't see it as foreshadowing, I see it as great and inspired RUSH .. Sure, it was new territory, but the song shouldn't be judged based on subsequent failures or reaches ...

Edited by Lucas

He said "opprobrium"

noun

That's what he said.

She did complain about EKG results and high pulse rates. Goes with the territory I suppose.

• Like 1

He said "opprobrium"

noun

That's what he said.

She did complain about EKG results and high pulse rates. Goes with the territory I suppose.

Please, no mention of Territories.

I disagree, and this coming from someone who isn't crazy about Signals, and whose interest definitely waned after Signals ..

Going back to Rivendell, RUSH periodically dabbled playing outside the boundaries ... "Tears" ( which I love ), and "Madrigal" also come to mind as song that don't fit the "classic Rush" mold

Vital Signs was dark - I liked that a lot, and it was done so well - it wasn't a feeble or out of character attempt like so many of their subsequent efforts ..

What I like about the lyrics so much - and what I feel separates it from some of the songs on Signals - is the ambiguity ... Signals was so literal in so many places, bordering on corny - which will ruin any vibe for me ....

I don't see it as foreshadowing, I see it as great and inspired RUSH .. Sure, it was new territory, but the song should be judged based on subsequent failures or reaches ...

MOTH did I at better. It is an ok/good song hidden in crappy synths/production.

Going back to Rivendell, RUSH periodically dabbled playing outside the boundaries ... "Tears" ( which I love ), and "Madrigal" also come to mind as song that don't fit the "classic Rush" mold

I don't see it as foreshadowing, I see it as great and inspired RUSH .. Sure, it was new territory, but the song should be judged based on subsequent failures or reaches ...

apologies, but I am having one of those moments - what the heck is MOTH ??

MOTH is a band comprising a few TRF members. But perhaps the version I'm thinking of was just JARG, a member of TRF and MOTH. It brings the guitar to the fore and rocks harder than the original.

Thanks. I agree that the song itself is pretty good, but suffered from a new-wave arrangement.

Here's the MOTH version.

http://youtu.be/N3D3psoMMNI

MOTH is me, Prime Mover & Shaker, and one other guy, whose TRF name I don't recall.

• Like 1