Voice effects - SPOILER

ljr869

I've been watching many of the YouTube videos and during the next to last verse of Jacob's Ladder (All at once, the clouds are parted...)

Am I hearing more than voice and synth, perhaps a voice effect?

Listen to Exit Stage Left, they do it the same way. And yeah it's a voice effect. Sounds kind of like a flanger, chorus or something similar to me. Edited by EagleMoon

I can't tell if the effect continues into the last verse (Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies...) but I wonder if Geddy activates the effect or someone off-stage.

I can't tell if the effect continues into the last verse (Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies...) but I wonder if Geddy activates the effect or someone off-stage.

It's probably a keyboard triggered effect if I had to guess.

Edited by EagleMoon

The same effect is on the album at that line. They are probably just trying to recreate that sound.

It's either a keyboard or a pedal trigger. They (Alex and Ged) use *a lot* of pedal triggers. It's actually quite amazing to watch if you have a seat in the mezz and can see it.

The same effect is on the album at that line. They are probably just trying to recreate that sound.

It's either a keyboard or a pedal trigger. They (Alex and Ged) use *a lot* of pedal triggers. It's actually quite amazing to watch if you have a seat in the mezz and can see it.

I was watching one of the concert videos during that part and Ged doesn't hit any kind of pedal trigger, which is why I was thinking keyboard. He's playing along with his singing at that point.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how they do that cool effect in Natural Science, during "a quantum leap forward" etc? It's like an echo that precedes the line and fades in - very cool thing. Must be done in post.

Does anyone know how they do that cool effect in Natural Science, during "a quantum leap forward" etc? It's like an echo that precedes the line and fades in - very cool thing. Must be done in post.

It's R2D2's voice translated to words.

I would actually guess that the sound board op turns it on and off.

Definitely this. It's very easy for the sound guy to add an effect to the vocal (or anything mic'd at all). It's probably just a simple flanger effect. We do it all the time in our band, changing the lead or background vocals for specific points in a given song (for flange, reverb, "gang" vocals, etc.).

It's not magic :)