Clockwork Angels Song

Lorraine

Then others here hear what I am hearing? He does sing that line differently.

Sure he is,

For me at least. Not sure in this situation but I have always felt that he sings what the lyrics offer him. It has to have some meaning and emotion. Brings out the best in there song writing. JMO.

I've never thought much of it really. Like Rod said it does create some kind of effect which you just can't put your finger on. I've always liked how he sings it and it seems like all the rest of the song was building up to that part so I think it's a bit like a conclusion or something.

• Like 1

I don't even look to the novel for any insight into these songs. Could care less. Personally, to what you're speaking to Lorraine, is that as a vocalist he's doing something that Nick told him to try to make it sound cooler...cause it was probably just "cool" when they laid it out to him the first time. Producers make suggestions to how certain things should be played, or sung, in order to enhance the product...which Terry Brown did. Nick did that during his time with the band.

It rocks so freaking hard

Personally I liked the book and it enhanced my enjoyment of the album--I am glad they did it. So sorry for offending you TM.

• Like 1

The purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone knew if there is/was a special reason why he sang it that way.

Maybe something to do with the storyline? :huh:

I think my post above has a reason. Other than that not sure.

• Like 1

It has been a couple of years since I read the book but I can't think of a specific plot point that would influence Geddy's singing. I just listened to it in the car this afternoon and I agree it sounds as if he is tensing his jaw to enunciate the words clearly and drawing them out at the end of the tune. It just puts an emphasis on the line for me and that's my 2 cents on the subject.
  • Like 1

I don't even look to the novel for any insight into these songs. Could care less. Personally, to what you're speaking to Lorraine, is that as a vocalist he's doing something that Nick told him to try to make it sound cooler...cause it was probably just "cool" when they laid it out to him the first time. Producers make suggestions to how certain things should be played, or sung, in order to enhance the product...which Terry Brown did. Nick did that during his time with the band.

It rocks so freaking hard

Personally I liked the book and it enhanced my enjoyment of the album--I am glad they did it. So sorry for offending you TM.

You doth not offend dude. Not in the least. I've read the book and found it wanting to say the very least. However, I'm glad I have it on my shelf, with autographs. It was a whim for Neil and Kevin, and I'm glad they accomplished what they did...just not my thing. It's next to all the other Pratt writings on the shelf.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

It has been a couple of years since I read the book but I can't think of a specific plot point that would influence Geddy's singing. I just listened to it in the car this afternoon and I agree it sounds as if he is tensing his jaw to enunciate the words clearly and drawing them out at the end of the tune. It just puts an emphasis on the line for me and that's my 2 cents on the subject.

when the crowds are worshipping the angels with their hands held high--as if to fly, in a kind of strained stretched way it suits Geddy's voice and the way he sings the line.

maybe I am cracked--but to me Geddy's voice especially in this song matches the feelings that the crowd may be feeling.

• Like 2

when the crowds are worshipping the angels with their hands held high--as if to fly, in a kind of strained stretched way it suits Geddy's voice and the way he sings the line.

maybe I am cracked--but to me Geddy's voice especially in this song matches the feelings that the crowd may be feeling.

I thought of that too, the video they showed on CA tour had hands waving slowly and the crowd mimics it...good point.

Sounds like they put his voice through some effect like a flanger or phasor, something like that.

I was hoping they would do some kind of documentary on the recording process...there are some snippets out there of Nick and Geddy laying down some vocal tracks. The interplay was fascinating. Nick seemed more confident in his approach to "producing" the band, giving direction to Geddy. The Game of Snakes and Arrows spoiled me for a bit.

Yes, I definitely know what you're talking about. You described it perfectly. He sounds like he's singing with jaws clenched, like he's angry.

I just thought the main character in the story is showing anger at the foolishness of trusting in them.

Regardless, I definitely hear what you're talking about. You're not crazy.

• Like 1

Yes, I definitely know what you're talking about. You described it perfectly. He sounds like he's singing with jaws clenched, like he's angry.

I just thought the main character in the story is showing anger at the foolishness of trusting in them.

That's what I wanted to know then. Thank you, Captain! :)

My ears did not deceive me.

• Like 1

That's what I wanted to know then. Thank you, Captain! :)

My ears did not deceive me.

I don't think there's any purpose behind it other than he thought it sounded good.