Live albums vs Studio albums

YYZumbi

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer to listen to when you shall listen to Rush?

I picked live albums simply because Rush has so many of them. Even the lesser quality ones are still great IMO.

I enjoy making live "mix" playlists - i.e. creating my own Rush show with my faves from all their live recordings. To me, there is nothing more exciting than a Rush concert, and with big screen tvs and home entertainment systems (something most of us didn't have 20 years ago), you can almost replicate a live show in your living room.

Clem

Always have been, always will be a live album fan! Knowing how the music is usually made in a studio is a tad disillusioning, so even though they do some punch in's occasionally on live cuts, I still have to go with live! (Rush or otherwise) because then you know...well in Rush's case...it's three people making the music (unless we have strings) and that's it!

Not only that, my first exposure to Rush was a live album..that's my go to when I feel like Rush, but not sure what I want to listen to...

Enjoyed ever tour live since 1981. Watching them play the complex music so well is great, but I usually find the overall sound and performance not as enjoyable on the live albuns, with a few exceptions. ATWAS and GUP live were examples where the overall feel was very good. There are live albums by other bands that beat the studio albums and that I listen to more than live Rush albums, but my top two bands overall are Rush and Yes. With Ruysh it is nearly always a studio album that I put on.

Both :huh:

This is TRF it can never be both. We must poll and making choices. Even if you don't vote in the poll you have still made a choice.

What live album came out after Hold Your Fire?

Edited by JohnRogers

Serious? No votes for live albums?

We're not dealing with Phish or the Dead here; Rush doesn't do much improv or anything live. They pretty much just try and recreate the studio sound

I disagree. They do some cool stuff that doesn't happen on the studio albums. Such as reggae Working Man during Time Machine Tour. And even thou they do try and recreate the studio sound, it is something that makes it better, because, like I said earlier, it is more power in the music when they play it live.

Dude, what would be the right live album to test your opinion of the "synth era"? Something after the release of Hold Your Fire.

Grace Under Pressure 1984 Tour is a good synth era live album.

I have Different Stages but I think need Show of Hands to test your theory.

Edit: I have GUP live as part of Rush Replay 3, just ordered Show of Hands from Amazon.

Edited by JohnRogers