Social Media: Houzz, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIN, Google+, Instagram

sundog

Well ... just signed up on Tinder yesterday. And no, I didn't do it looking for sex but out of curiosity. Been trying dating for some time now with little to no luck, and two days on Tinder and I'm already having a really nice conversation :)

I haven't heard of Tinder either.

Sounds like your experience thus far has been positive!

:cheers:

Isn't Tinder one of those match-making sites?

It is. I like the fact that it's based on the attraction of photos. If I like someone and she likes me back we will be able to chat otherwise not.

This puts a lot of value in a picture.

You lose the opportunity at anyone that you don't like in a picture, when (and this is only my opinion) personality can make an average person much more attractive and the lack of personality can make an attractive person fall down the attractive scale.

I do wish you much luck in your search - it's difficult to put yourself out there sometimes.

I think you're right. I use it to see if I can meet new people that way and see if the personality matches the outside. Never been one to settle for anything less than near-perfect, and it is those high ideals that can make it difficult to meet a potential new girlfriend. Now I'm more using Tinder to pass time. If there's a match I'll go "great, a women finds me attractive on some level" and move on.

I should get rid of Twitter, Tinder, dating sites and get out in the real world.

Getting yourself out there is key. The trick is (if this is a trick or if it's just advice) be yourself.

Smile a lot, make eye contact with the people that you're speaking with.

And if you like someone, ask for the opportunity to see them again.

Body language will give you clues if she is receptive to the request, before you even have to ask - so watch her body language - it will increase your batting average. ;)

• Like 1

Well ... just signed up on Tinder yesterday. And no, I didn't do it looking for sex but out of curiosity. Been trying dating for some time now with little to no luck, and two days on Tinder and I'm already having a really nice conversation :)

It is. I like the fact that it's based on the attraction of photos. If I like someone and she likes me back we will be able to chat otherwise not.

You lose the opportunity at anyone that you don't like in a picture, when (and this is only my opinion) personality can make an average person much more attractive and the lack of personality can make an attractive person fall down the attractive scale.

I do wish you much luck in your search - it's difficult to put yourself out there sometimes.

I think you're right. I use it to see if I can meet new people that way and see if the personality matches the outside. Never been one to settle for anything less than near-perfect, and it is those high ideals that can make it difficult to meet a potential new girlfriend. Now I'm more using Tinder to pass time. If there's a match I'll go "great, a women finds me attractive on some level" and move on.

I should get rid of Twitter, Tinder, dating sites and get out in the real world.

Getting yourself out there is key. The trick is (if this is a trick or if it's just advice) be yourself.

Body language will give you clues if she is receptive to the request, before you even have to ask - so watch her body language - it will increase your batting average. ;)

When I read and talk about it, it all seems so clear and matter-of-fact but I know that I start second guessing when I'm standing in a real life situation. I'm not very adept in reading body language. My last girlfriend literaly gave up and texted me because I didn't pick up the signals (in hindsight it was clear as day).

A friend said very eloquent I think: "You come with nothing, so the worst that can happen is you leave the same". :)

• Like 2

When I read and talk about it, it all seems so clear and matter-of-fact but I know that I start second guessing when I'm standing in a real life situation. I'm not very adept in reading body language. My last girlfriend literaly gave up and texted me because I didn't pick up the signals (in hindsight it was clear as day).

A friend said very eloquent I think: "You come with nothing, so the worst that can happen is you leave the same". :)

A wise friend... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Your friend is right.

Simple body language clues - is if she mirrors your body language:

IE/ you cross your arms, she crosses hers. You lean on a chair, she might lean the same direction.

If she laughs and touches your arm - that is a pretty clear sign she's into you, too.

Like anything else, practice. First be an observer in settings where it can be obvious... nightclub or concert, even the grocery store or mall. Enjoy a coffee on a bench in the mall and just watch.

Once you see it happen enough, it's easier to notice when it happens to you.

I will say - I am not always sure when someone is flirting with me, or if they are just being nice. I know what you're feeling.

Smiling breaks a lot of ice.

• Like 1

Your friend is right.

IE/ you cross your arms, she crosses hers. You lean on a chair, she might lean the same direction.

If she laughs and touches your arm - that is a pretty clear sign she's into you, too.

Like anything else, practice. First be an observer in settings where it can be obvious... nightclub or concert, even the grocery store or mall. Enjoy a coffee on a bench in the mall and just watch.

I will say - I am not always sure when someone is flirting with me, or if they are just being nice. I know what you're feeling.

I have been married since seemingly the beginning of time but still ladies could flirt with me. I have always been lousy at picking up such hints or clues. I have been in situations especially lately at the gym were I workout sometimes with a lady friend and she will say "hey that lady is checking you out" and I just don't see it. Never have. I always considered myself invisible to the fairer sex... :)
  • Like 1

Your friend is right.

I have been married since seemingly the beginning of time but still ladies could flirt with me. I have always been lousy at picking up such hints or clues. I have been in situations especially lately at the gym were I workout sometimes with a lady friend and she will say "hey that lady is checking you out" and I just don't see it. Never have. I always considered myself invisible to the fairer sex... :)

I'm like that in the situation but then a couple of days later my brain will rewind, and I'll suddenly remember a woman checking me out at a club and I'll go :facepalm: :banghead:

• Like 1

Your friend is right.

I'm like that in the situation but then a couple of days later my brain will rewind, and I'll suddenly remember a woman checking me out at a club and I'll go :facepalm: :banghead:

So now, allow yourself to push your limits a little. Watch for clues, then - Make yourself just take a little risk by asking for an opportunity to see her again. Whomever it is.

Try and aim for 90% comfort zone, 10% pushing your limits.

Sometimes you just have to stop trying altogether and just enjoy yourself too! (sorry if that's a left turn outta nowhere)

You're not out there looking for Mrs. Analog Grownup, presumably. I assume you're looking for someone that can grow with you to become Mrs. Analog Grownup. Don't put too much pressure on the dating scene - if you're putting yourself out there, she'll fall into your life. (you do have to pay attention to the clues though) Divine guidance will make sure you're both where you need to be. Some call it Synchronicity.

Edited by sundog

I'm done with email. A lot of people hate email and ignore most of it. Some messages end up in people's junk mail whether they're junk or not. Maybe they're not ignoring you and the email just went to the wrong folder. Anyhow...people have twitter, facebook, instagram and telephone voice mail. There are too many different applications using up people's time. After all that garbage, who has time for email? No one. It's 2015, not 1995. Time to get rid of email accounts, I guess. Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

I'm done with email. A lot of people hate email and ignore most of it. Some messages end up in people's junk mail whether they're junk or not. Maybe they're not ignoring you and the email just went to the wrong folder. Anyhow...people have twitter, facebook, instagram and telephone voice mail. There are too many different applications using up people's time. After all that garbage, who has time for email? No one. It's 2015, not 1995. Time to get rid of email accounts, I guess.

email is a tough sell. :yes:

I have email accounts for my email accounts at this point.

I like to know the specials for my favourite retailers, but at this time of year, they're a bit ridiculous. Oh, and now they TEXT ME! OMG. I can live with a text, but given the proximity to Christmas, I'm getting special texts every single day. I don't want to opt out, as there are some good private specials that I like to take advantage of, but oy vey - :facepalm:

I used to use Facebook, but I recently deleted my account, so now this forum is the only online thing I go on regularly.

Except you can never really delete an account on FB. The only thing that really annoys me about it.

Genuinely interested, but how is that possible that you can never really delete it? If you know for sure you want it deleted, following 7 days of inactivity (I'm sure I've read that somewhere), then surely it's gone completely.

I used to use Facebook, but I recently deleted my account, so now this forum is the only online thing I go on regularly.

Except you can never really delete an account on FB. The only thing that really annoys me about it.

Genuinely interested, but how is that possible that you can never really delete it? If you know for sure you want it deleted, following 7 days of inactivity (I'm sure I've read that somewhere), then surely it's gone completely.

Nope. You can deactivate it but it'll still be there. You can't delete it. It doesn't go away. That 7 days of inactivity is silly. I know people that haven't been on for years and their accounts are still there.

Edited by EagleMoon

Nope. You can deactivate it but it'll still be there. You can't delete it. It doesn't go away. That 7 days of inactivity is silly. I know people that haven't been on for years and their accounts are still there.

Point taken - thank you. :)

• Like 2

I'm curious about your other social media activity -

Which do you use?

My first online connection was here at TRF. I had very little interest in online media prior to joining here.

Mostly I use Facebook, but since there is another thread about FB, I left it out of here - feel free to talk about it as well though if you think it will add to the conversation.

I have recently revisited my myspace page - but it's mostly TRFers that I'm connected to - and it's very music driven now. Not sure if I'll log back in or not.

I have a Houzz page, that I hardly use personally but use for business much more now.

A Pinterest that I use regularly - both for work and for personal. (separate accounts)

I have a Twitter - but honestly - I forget to tweet! I don't think I need it to be updated with my FB statuses, so yeah - it's there. :eh:

My LinkedIN is strictly business. I keep it that way on purpose - and try to remember to keep building connections to grow my lighting business.

There's Google+ that is trying to compete with FB but I only have it since I got an android phone and had to get the google play store app.

There is so much - Instagram, like Twitter - I often forget to use. And my followers mostly are the same friends I have on FB - so they get to see the same posts twice - and I get to see theirs twice often enough.

Our children can't imagine a world without internet - or instant connectivity.

Do we really need to be this connected?

Where does it end?

Good, Bad or Indifferent?

While I like to think I am a private person - I guess I'm really not - I suppose if I haven't been careful - my entire life for the last 10 years can be found online.

Now - I think I'm scared. :blink:

None, except to get news or information, like sports news or something.

• Like 1

FarceBook is exactly that. A FARCE! That dude that invented that travesty of an abomination deserves....well, I'm not that violent a person, but my .44 magnum would like to meet him intimately. I joined some of the other stupid stuff a while ago, but now I only have TRF, CP and FARCEbook (for family and High school friend communications).

• Like 1

I used to belong to linkedin but now all I own to is CP, Tumbler (haven't been there in months....) and FARCEbook.....Oh, And if you're read my profile, SKYPE (gmstar) I try to have Skype on all the time, but sometimes I forget... Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

How could I forget TRF ^^^ CP is no longer on my "HOME" pages list. It has been replaced by TRF. st least this site WORKS!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :banana: :hi: Edited by OldRUSHfan