Timing from 3/15 - 5/08

dtpoet

I've always thought it'd be great if they did a mini-doc just on coming up with the setlist for a tour. Film their initial conversations tossing around song options, listening back to the older albums together with commentary, rehearsal footage of songs they later decided not to play, and ultimately working out the final song order and light/video packages to go with them. Would make a fantastic DVD extra!

Also, I wish we could eventually see some of these emails they're sending back and forth whittling down from a 5-hour setlist! It's one thing to read theoretical set lists that fans post here, but imagine if we could see the sets the guys themselves are actually proposing to each other. The fanboy in me really finds that notion fascinating. :)

Only your second post I see. Welcome to the TRF... :cheers:

Thanks! Been lurking for a bit. First saw the band on the Power Windows tour in 86, but was still kinda just a casual fan until around the time Counterparts came out. Then something clicked and I've been following them consistently and only missed the R30 tour since.

Even though the thought of Rush possibly calling it a day soon is sad, I'm excited to see what they come up with for this tour and felt inspired to join the conversations.

Welcome to the forum! :hi: Grab a CORN dog and a beer, and join in on the fun!

Fixed a little... :)

Oh no you don't. :LOL:

• Like 2

I've always thought it'd be great if they did a mini-doc just on coming up with the setlist for a tour. Film their initial conversations tossing around song options, listening back to the older albums together with commentary, rehearsal footage of songs they later decided not to play, and ultimately working out the final song order and light/video packages to go with them. Would make a fantastic DVD extra!

Also, I wish we could eventually see some of these emails they're sending back and forth whittling down from a 5-hour setlist! It's one thing to read theoretical set lists that fans post here, but imagine if we could see the sets the guys themselves are actually proposing to each other. The fanboy in me really finds that notion fascinating. :)

Thanks! Been lurking for a bit. First saw the band on the Power Windows tour in 86, but was still kinda just a casual fan until around the time Counterparts came out. Then something clicked and I've been following them consistently and only missed the R30 tour since.

Even though the thought of Rush possibly calling it a day soon is sad, I'm excited to see what they come up with for this tour and felt inspired to join the conversations.

Damn. Busted... :LMAO:
  • Like 1

Damn. Busted... :LMAO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQ_j3vX1kk

I am curious as to the timing if the whole production from today moving forward to Show 1. I understand that they currently are rehearsing and preparing individually, communicating from afar about various setlist options and progressions. I also read that they will get together in April (I assuming the beginning of) and start rehearsing together.

However, this is a bigger production than just the three of them. There are lights, videos, and background music that have to be choreographed and synced together the form a seemless production. When does all that happen?

At some point, the setlist has to set in stone so that these additional parts of the production can be fine tuned. How long does that take? A week? Two? A month?

For those of you with some experience in the industry, can you lay out a hypothetical timeline from 3/15 through 5/8? Thank you in advance.

'Natural Science vs. Xanadu' .

Or both... :drool:

There is no either/or. :)

When You need to narrow it down to 3 hours, choices will have to be made.

Songs will be voted off.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they leave Superconductor off the set list. :D

"too" heartbroken? How about not even a blip of care? Of course, it might break Segue's heart--but who cares?

• Like 1

I am curious as to the timing if the whole production from today moving forward to Show 1. I understand that they currently are rehearsing and preparing individually, communicating from afar about various setlist options and progressions. I also read that they will get together in April (I assuming the beginning of) and start rehearsing together.

However, this is a bigger production than just the three of them. There are lights, videos, and background music that have to be choreographed and synced together the form a seemless production. When does all that happen?

At some point, the setlist has to set in stone so that these additional parts of the production can be fine tuned. How long does that take? A week? Two? A month?

For those of you with some experience in the industry, can you lay out a hypothetical timeline from 3/15 through 5/8? Thank you in advance.

Songs will be voted off.

"too" heartbroken? How about not even a blip of care? Of course, it might break Segue's heart--but who cares?

Okay, I wouldn't give a flying F&*#*&$(*&%(_*W&%_@#()%*&)@(#%*#) if they left it off of the set list. :LOL:

• Like 1

Songs will be voted off.

Okay, I wouldn't give a flying F&*#*&$(*&%(_*W&%_@#()%*&)@(#%*#) if they left it off of the set list. :LOL:

I think you're saying you'd rather listen to Headlong Flight instead right?

Songs will be voted off.

By a mile. :LOL:

• Like 1

Songs will be voted off.

By a mile. :LOL:

Yeah but leave the drum solo out of it this time round.
  • Like 1

I think this time period with them would be a cool "bonus" disc for the next DVD! Each of them doing their "warm up" for rehearsals....copies of their emails tossing what to play/not to play back and forth, as well as a dinner or two with them (and a lot of wine) discussing it!

Then the pre-practice "let's at least TRY these before we decide" rehearsals....

And the rehearsals!

I think you could get some decent stuff, and at LEAST about 4-5 hours worth of interesting footage!

What would be fun too would be if they each took a time behind the camera and videotaped stuff.

Give them each a GoPro!

I think this time period with them would be a cool "bonus" disc for the next DVD! Each of them doing their "warm up" for rehearsals....copies of their emails tossing what to play/not to play back and forth, as well as a dinner or two with them (and a lot of wine) discussing it!

Then the pre-practice "let's at least TRY these before we decide" rehearsals....

And the rehearsals!

I think you could get some decent stuff, and at LEAST about 4-5 hours worth of interesting footage!

What would be fun too would be if they each took a time behind the camera and videotaped stuff.

Give them each a GoPro!

What is that?

It's a small personal "sport" camera...a couple of the guys I dive with have them and take them along a lot, and they can pretty much mount them anywhere....

http://gopro.com/

Oh okay, thanks for the link. I'd never heard of them. :)

It's a small personal "sport" camera...a couple of the guys I dive with have them and take them along a lot, and they can pretty much mount them anywhere....

Well now we have a fun new game, does EagleMoon know _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Today's question : Rub and Tug?

Well now we have a fun new game, does EagleMoon know _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Today's question : Rub and Tug?

Who crapped on your toast? :LOL:

• Like 1

I do recall an interview somewhere with Howard where over the years it evolved with the lighting rig...in the early years he and Geddy went over every detail, then Howard would come up with the design and take to Geddy who would say "Is it in budget? Ok, roll with it," to Geddy finally going "You handle it, I don't have the time."

I do recall an interview somewhere with Howard where over the years it evolved with the lighting rig...in the early years he and Geddy went over every detail, then Howard would come up with the design and take to Geddy who would say "Is it in budget? Ok, roll with it," to Geddy finally going "You handle it, I don't have the time."

Some of this is discussed in the Backstage Secrets Documentary that was put out a few years back. Not in the exact detail most of you are looking for but, some of it has been already.

Edited by balance

Songs will be voted off.

That one crossed my mind too among many others... :LOL:

Superconductor wouldn't work anyway. Imagine Alex dragging his amp stack to the other side of the stage just for one song.. And likewise with Ged's fridge/dryer/popcorn maker... ;););)