Natural Science question

fluffhead

I have been listening to this song live a lot recently and don't understand why they have taken out the second verse at the end, "art as expression not as market campaigns"? Does anyone know why they don't include this line? Thanks

They've cut some lyrics from it? I didn't know that. Take out the water sound on the front and back of the song, and I thought the live versions were pretty much identical in length to the studio version.

They do things for multiple reasons, such as adding or cutting lines. Over time their views on a song change with their views when they wrote it, whether it be musically or lyrically. They added a second part of "Don't ask me I'm just improvising" in Presto, in this case, in the same key after the guitar solo, though they added another bit before the guitar solo started.

Some things they never really played note for note or bar for bar, such as Grand Finale, which is really just a jam anyway.

They do things for multiple reasons, such as adding or cutting lines. Over time their views on a song change with their views when they wrote it, whether it be musically or lyrically. They added a second part of "Don't ask me I'm just improvising" in Presto, in this case, in the same key after the guitar solo, though they added another bit before the guitar solo started.

Some things they never really played note for note or bar for bar, such as Grand Finale, which is really just a jam anyway.

I'm all in favor of not doing things live in the exact same way they're done in the studio, believe me- I'd love to see them jam more, and take us in any number of different directions. I just think it's interesting when (and maybe why) they decide to do things like omitting particular lyrics.

• Like 1

I know as far as official releases they have been doing this since 1997. But am not sure if its omitted in concert or just for the release?

It's omitted in concert. Rush aren't really ones to omit anything from concert footage, especially in the videos. At least not since they omitted shit from the R30 release.

And welcome to TRF!

Edited by BowlCity

Yeah, they tend to "re-arrange" old material when they bring it out for a tour. I remember reading something from either Geddy or Alex talking about how they changed the arrangement of The Camera Eye for the Time Machine tour. I've noticed with Natural Science they repeat the first verse ("wheel within wheels...") instead of going straight into the next segment...My guess is its to cut down on time, but some songs could be trimmed and re arranged due to vocal/physical constraints.

I prefer that they add new touches to older songs when they are played live, not just changes to shorten the songs (for instance the longer guitar solo on Dreamline and the extended bass solo on Driven). As far as Natural Science goes, they've done some inexplicable things to that song live. Some of the changes were obviously to shorten the song a bit, but there have been other changes that are barely noticeable. I think the world will know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop before it knows why Rush changed the live version of Natural Science.
  • Like 1