Drums!

Jaminbenb

The fact that basically all mentions have been removed from fan sites, FB, etc as a result of Rush management's request speaks pretty loudly as well.

Not holding my breath...but it would seem the rumor has some legs from what I can tell.

So are they removing it from the internet because it's not true? Or did John Good just jump the gun?

Looks like the whole Chromey thing was just a rumor. Lorne put a post on Twitter essentially debunking it without specifically repeating it, but it seems pretty obvious to me what he meant. Doesn't necessairly mean DW isn't makng one, but as far as taking it on tour...doubtful.

What exactly did he say? Not everyone here has Twitter.

He said, "You shouldn't always believe everything you hear. Unless it comes from the source. Which it didn't."

So he didn't say "that's absolutely not true," then. :)

• Like 1

Looks like the whole Chromey thing was just a rumor. Lorne put a post on Twitter essentially debunking it without specifically repeating it, but it seems pretty obvious to me what he meant. Doesn't necessairly mean DW isn't makng one, but as far as taking it on tour...doubtful.

He said, "You shouldn't always believe everything you hear. Unless it comes from the source. Which it didn't."

I'm thinking maybe they just wanted the whole thing to be a bit more of a surprise? Geddy and Alex both said in interviews something to the effect of, "I really shouldn't give anything more away." They might just be trying to keep it under wraps a bit

I'm thinking maybe they just wanted the whole thing to be a bit more of a surprise? Geddy and Alex both said in interviews something to the effect of, "I really shouldn't give anything more away." They might just be trying to keep it under wraps a bit

I think you're right, which is why all of the cryptic comments by them. They're not going to come out and absolutely deny something. These guys are like politicians, they've learned exactly what to say.

• Like 1

The fact that basically all mentions have been removed from fan sites, FB, etc as a result of Rush management's request speaks pretty loudly as well.

Not holding my breath...but it would seem the rumor has some legs from what I can tell.

So are they removing it from the internet because it's not true? Or did John Good just jump the gun?

Time will tell...but I'm leaning toward the answer in column B.

• Like 1

Sounds ambiguous to me.

I think Good said something that he shouldn't have said...hope he didn't ruin a potential "thing" that might have happened!

Sounds ambiguous to me.

I think Good said something that he shouldn't have said...hope he didn't ruin a potential "thing" that might have happened!

I'm thinking that, given the intricate stage production, if it's happening, it is set in stone. The reason management probably requested that everyone make the articles, vids, etc go away is in an attempt to control the rumor. It may be out of the bag, but right now it's all word of mouth.

• Like 1

Just responded to an email from a drummer friend on an entirely different subject and asked if he was going to see them...he replied and said he got tickets...so I asked him if he heard about the drum set thing, and he said yes, let me copy and paste his response to it:

"Yeah...and I wouldn't have even considered believing it if it didn't come out of the CEO of DW's mouth...but remember this...Neil is a stickler for technique, and it took him a LOT of woodshedding to get to where he is now with his current kit...and it doesn't sound like he really WANTS to do this tour...so do you think he's putting in that extra EXTRA-effort? Tough calll....."

I get what he means in the fact that he spent a long time on his current kit, and learning to have it set up the way he wants, and that it's there...but I almost agree with him and will believe it when I see it...but Good is a pretty high up person in the grand scheme....and what just happened sounds like a cover up! (Ok, who's going May 8th?)

I sort of feel like Neil knows everyone thinks he hates all the old material, as well as touring; he probably thought it would be a really nice surprise for the fans to see him play a replica of an old kit while they play some songs that haven't been played in a long time.
  • Like 1

I wouldnt be surprised if the other kit is for home use/display if it really is 3000 yr driftwood.

I don't think the "replica" kit is made of the old wood...but that's also a possibility...Neil's sort of mad at himself for talking himself into getting rid of the old Slingerland kits (or is thinking...."Damn! Chromey is getting some great exposure") and he wants one for his "den..... Good got things confused, possibly?!?! Maybe it's his "family room" that's going to look like an old club!!!

I keep telling myself that I shouldn't have gotten rid of an old Ludwig kit I had, and should have re-furbished it when I got the Tama kit years ago.... (13, 14, 16 toms, and a 14X22 bass...I DID keep the snare) Maybe I can get John Good to make me one....nah nevermind....it would cost more than my car!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

I wouldnt be surprised if the other kit is for home use/display if it really is 3000 yr driftwood.

I don't think the "replica" kit is made of the old wood...but that's also a possibility...Neil's sort of mad at himself for talking himself into getting rid of the old Slingerland kits (or is thinking...."Damn! Chromey is getting some great exposure") and he wants one for his "den..... Good got things confused, possibly?!?! Maybe it's his "family room" that's going to look like an old club!!!

I keep telling myself that I shouldn't have gotten rid of an old Ludwig kit I had, and should have re-furbished it when I got the Tama kit years ago.... (13, 14, 16 toms, and a 14X22 bass...I DID keep the snare) Maybe I can get John Good to make me one....nah nevermind....it would cost more than my car!

Well, they've always been of the "flush the past" mindset. I'm sure Neil could acquire his chrome set should he desire to (I certainly would).

Btw, I'd never buy a DW kit. Never. Neil should've sided with Tama or Slingerland and created his own signature series. DW is simply overrated.

• Like 1

Well, they've always been of the "flush the past" mindset. I'm sure Neil could acquire his chrome set should he desire to (I certainly would).

Btw, I'd never buy a DW kit. Never. Neil should've sided with Tama or Slingerland and created his own signature series. DW is simply overrated.

You want to pick out his toilet paper for him too? :D

• Like 1

FWIW, John Good works for DW. Not Rush. It benefits him and his company to plug away, whether he's talking out his ass or not. When Lorne says don't believe it if it doesn't come from the source, and specifies that "it" didn't come from the source, I think that means its all gum flapping. Maybe the idea was floated around at some point, but ideas have a way of being shot down sometimes.

If it was a half-baked plan that was later axed, then John Good would be wrong, no matter how close he is to Neil. This is one of several reasons details aren't announced until closer to tour time, including dates and venues, let alone set design, when it isn't finished yet. Edited by HalfwayToGone

If it was a half-baked plan that was later axed, then John Good would be wrong, no matter how close he is to Neil. This is one of several reasons details aren't announced until closer to tour time, including dates and venues, let alone set design, when it isn't finished yet.

I guess we'll know when we start seeing images of a different set posted. :LOL:

I actually LIKED the DW kits I've played...I think if you have the right combination of heads, and they're tuned correctly, they sound sweet! I DON'T like the way Neil cranks his higher toms...he'd be better off just doing the old concert tom thing the way he tunes IMHO....

I LOVE my Tama's...I didn't need a set of Art Stars when I got mine...so I checked out some of the lower lines, and the Rock Stars (first series) were pretty good, affordable, and they tune up pretty well! I liked my old Ludwigs, and as I said, wished I kept them for an extra kit, but oh well... We have a local drum shop where you can try different things, and as much as I wanted Yamaha's, I hated their sound, so I bailed on them. (I LOVED an older set I played on...but they weren't the same) DW's were too expensive, as were the Sonor's... Totally hated the Pearl's! I thought they were crap from my drum and bugle corps days.... I DO wish they still made Slingerland! Always loved those! (and I have a nice sounding Camco snare, that DW was kind enough to let me replace my lugs when they started going bad...I just had to take my old lugs to the drum shop so they could prove I had an old Camco) Great snare!

Edited by Jaminbenb

I would LOVE for Neil to go back and play on a kit that represented the best "drum" time in RUSH's history (1977-1990). To be honest, I am quite bored of Neil's same lousy sounding (I want to be a Jazz drummer) DW drums that he's been using for the last 20 years.

If RUSH want's to sell out arena's night after night, all they have to do is leak it out that Neil is going with a replica 1982 Tama or 1987 Ludwig kit (Double bass of course) and Geddy's bringing back the Rick's (including double neck). THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO SEE!!!!

I sort of feel like Neil knows everyone thinks he hates all the old material, as well as touring; he probably thought it would be a really nice surprise for the fans to see him play a replica of an old kit while they play some songs that haven't been played in a long time.

I like your thinking.

Missed this the other day...but I sort of get the feeling that to Neil this is HIS equivalent of the rest of us working a crappy job that we don't like, and unless he's doing something with his motorcycle, cars, traveling, or doing something in nature with his family he's not having a good time...where if I were playing my drums in a band somewhere, doing a tour, I would be digging it, having the time of my life, and glad that I wasn't stuck sitting in a cubicle having to carry my red stapler everywhere because the dumbasses in the front office keep moving us around, because it's easy because we're in cubicles, and we just need to re-fill our copy paper box with our tchatckies, because moving in a cubicle farm is easier then when they had to more your entire desk with one of those desk moving things and they clogged up the elevators and you had to take the steps, and hope you don't drop your coffee when trying opening the door to the second floor because of the other crap you were carrying because some dip stick handed it to you when you left the cafe!

It's not that people seem to think that he may not like the older material (or playing it because there were more notes) I just think he's tired of "this life" and ready to just live off the spoils of his fortunes!

• Like 1