treeduck

Carolina is starting to get a littl too arrogant for a team that actually hasn't done anything.

You mean, other than beating everybody they have played this year?

No, I mean their 1-2 playoff record with Newton. I mean when you think of the undefeated reguar season patriots team you only remember their super bowl loss. I mean no one remembers th Vikings 98 team that went 15-1 in regular season and didn't make the super bowl, that's what I mean. Nothing has been accomplished yet.

True.

Yeah,

We will find out soon enough. :D

Any nfl team , no matter how good or great, can be beat "any given sunday". To say they haven't accomplished anything unless they win the SB is unreasonable to put it nicely. Richardson has got a team he can be proud of whether or not they fall short of their potential this year or not. They have stayed relatively healthy but are fairly deep with able backups. They have a formidable defence and a Very well balanced offence. They are well managed. Mike Shula is an excellent offensive coordinator.

They have crushed teams and they pulled out some when they didnt look sharp. They can be beat, of course they can. But know this, the Panthers are a solid football team at every position. And that is not an easy accomplishment.

I agree with some of this. What I said is they are getting a bit arrogant for a team that hasn't done anything. Didn't say they haven't won, that they shouldn't be proud of what they've accomplished so far. I simply said I think they are too arrogant. It's an opinion that you may or may not share but it's impossible to prove my statement wrong since it's an opinion. Really no need to argue it.

And the panthers were gathering in big groups taking pics before the game was over yesterday.

Carolina is starting to get a littl too arrogant for a team that actually hasn't done anything.

No, I mean their 1-2 playoff record with Newton. I mean when you think of the undefeated reguar season patriots team you only remember their super bowl loss. I mean no one remembers th Vikings 98 team that went 15-1 in regular season and didn't make the super bowl, that's what I mean. Nothing has been accomplished yet.

True.

Yeah,

Any nfl team , no matter how good or great, can be beat "any given sunday". To say they haven't accomplished anything unless they win the SB is unreasonable to put it nicely. Richardson has got a team he can be proud of whether or not they fall short of their potential this year or not. They have stayed relatively healthy but are fairly deep with able backups. They have a formidable defence and a Very well balanced offence. They are well managed. Mike Shula is an excellent offensive coordinator.

They have crushed teams and they pulled out some when they didnt look sharp. They can be beat, of course they can. But know this, the Panthers are a solid football team at every position. And that is not an easy accomplishment.

I agree with some of this. What I said is they are getting a bit arrogant for a team that hasn't done anything. Didn't say they haven't won, that they shouldn't be proud of what they've accomplished so far. I simply said I think they are too arrogant. It's an opinion that you may or may not share but it's impossible to prove my statement wrong since it's an opinion. Really no need to argue it.

And the panthers were gathering in big groups taking pics before the game was over yesterday.

In the 1st quarter? Are you sure? :P Edited by Inthend

True.

Yeah,

In the 1st quarter? Are you sure? :P

Cam's lap of honour or whatever it was yesterday was embarrassing.

• Like 1

Records and stat targets Drew Brees can surpass this year:

60,000 passing yards

Consecutive 4,000 yard seasons

300 yard passing games

400 yard passing games

Consecutive/Career seasons with 30 TDs

Game with more than 1 TD pass

100 career wins as Saints starting QB

• Like 1

http://saintsreport.com/forums/attachments/f2/82154d1450369796t-defenses-special-teams-brees-has-played-compared-other-top-qbs-screenshot_2015-11-16-16-19-53-1.jpg http://saintsreport.com/forums/attachments/f2/82156d1450369796t-defenses-special-teams-brees-has-played-compared-other-top-qbs-screenshot_2015-11-16-16-52-23-1.jpg

Brees to have MRI on foot tomorrow. Was wearing a full boot at press conference.

Possible torn ligament

We need to clean out our whole defensive coaching staff. It's not the players it's the coaches. Look at all the defensive players who moved to other teams. Harper in Carolina, Jenkins in Philly, Robinson in San Diego, Hicks in New England, Tracy Porter in Chicago. All are playing better than their current Saints counterparts.

Sean Payton sees himself coaching Saints 'long past this season'

http://image.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2015/12/21/19432611-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has been asked repeatedly by local media about his coaching future after this season. He's scoffed at the rumors numerous times.

So his answer to the Jaguars media corps to the same question Wednesday came as no surprise. Except he made it sound more definitive that his future would be in New Orleans.

"I see myself coaching this team long past this season," Payton said with the Saints preparing for Jacksonville for a Sunday matchup in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Several reports throughout the season have insinuated Payton may want to leave the Saints after this season despite two years remaining on his contract.

The Jags media posed this as the question: "They were talking on the broadcast Monday night about speculation about your future. Should there be speculation? Are you planning to be back? How do things stand?"

Payton responded: "Well, I said this earlier in the season and this is my ninth (season) coaching here in New Orleans, and it's come up every, I'm going to say, two to three years and I guess ... Listen, it comes with the territory.

"This is where I call home. I just finished building a home here. I'm close enough to my son back in Dallas where I'm pretty much back there once a week or he's over here; my daughter is off in college now.

"So, I see myself coaching this team long past this season."

Drew Brees shakes off injury, turns in huge game

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 27, 2015, 7:06 PM EST

502628378.jpg?w=250

Saints quarterback Drew Brees was hobbled all week by a foot injury, but that didn’t stop him from playing. And it didn’t stop him from dominating.

Brees completed 25 of 36 passes for 412 yards, with three touchdowns and no interceptions, as the Saints whipped the Jaguars 38-27. It was a masterful performance from Brees, who shredded the Jaguars’ secondary all day long and never gave a hint that he was playing at less than 100 percent.

The Jaguars got some big plays in their passing game as well, including a 90-yard touchdown catch by Allen Robinson. But Blake Bortles threw two interceptions, and the Jaguars’ offense struggled to sustain drives. It was not a good game for Jacksonville, which is now 5-10 on the season and 12-35 in Gus Bradley’s three years as head coach.

It’s been a disappointing season for the Saints as well, and questions will be raised in the next couple weeks about where the franchise is heading. It’s possible that this was Brees’s final game in New Orleans, as there’s been some talk that the Saints could decide to move on from Brees and his $30 million cap hit next year. If so, it was a great finale for a great Saint.

Tom Benson’s statement in response to Times-Picayune article urging him to sell

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2015, 7:53 PM EST

cd05oddlnmnhy2mwmjrlzwqzntjhm2viytq1y2vly2yzocznpti4m2jmm2u2mjg5ymnizjg1ymy3ytg5zje4ymzkm2yz-e1451263984393.jpeg?w=231

[Editor’s note: Sunday’s New Orleans Times-Picayune included a front-page column from Jeff Duncan arguing that Tom Benson should sell the NFL’s Saints and NBA’s Pelicans. Benson, who told Duncan in connection with the story that there will be no sale, issued a separate statement on Sunday night in response to the column. The full text appears below.]

I rarely respond to preposterous media reports as I understand them to be part of our business. Many are rarely based in fact, as is the case with the open letter to me from the Times Picayune imploring me to sell our teams for the benefit of the city. The letter is fraught with inaccuracies especially as they pertain to our partnership with the State of Louisiana or the structure of our organization. To be clear, the State of Louisiana has not paid the New Orleans Saints a nickel in inducement payments since 2009 and never since I purchased the then Hornets in 2012. In fact, I have most recently committed $25 million in upgrades towards the Mercedes-Benz Superdome and millions more towards the Smoothie King Center.

However, I respond tonight only for the benefit of our fans. We have the most passionate fans in both the NFL and NBA, and they deserve better than to read this scurrilous story, which the editors of the TP decided to blast on the front page of Sunday’s edition.

I will repeat today as I did yesterday to the reporter. I am not selling either team. That is not in my makeup. I am not retiring or stepping aside, while I do appreciate all of the sincere concern for my health. The legacy of both these teams are still yet to be written and my legacy can be discussed when I am long gone, which by the way is not that important to me right now. What is important to me is getting both our teams back to winning and challenging for championships. That is what our fans want most, and no one is more keenly aware of the urgency of that objective than me. We have had tremendous success both on and off the field and remain model franchises in both leagues, something I am very proud of. Another important part of our legacy is continuing to rebuild our city, our hospitals and our schools to make them leading institutions in this country. My wife Gayle and I do not take this for granted and cherish our ability to participate and contribute annually.

But what strikes me the most is the pure irony of the Times Picayune imploring me to sell for the benefit of the city. I recall in May 2012, reaching out to the Newhouse family imploring them to sell to me or other local ownership as they threatened to become and then became a part-time newspaper. Since then the newspaper has done nothing but layoff staff and move operations out of town.

I take great pride in promoting New Orleans as a big league city — securing a record number of Super Bowls, getting naming rights deals for both the Superdome and Arena, and infusing millions of tax revenue into our state’s general fund. This is on top of the large investments I have made in this city, and I will soon announce more major projects that will showcase our great city.

Our fans must know that both of our organizations are tasked with seeing that we field a winning product both on and off the field. Something that they will be proud of. Despite the misstatements in today’s article, I have always been and continue to be in complete control of our teams, and that is not in dispute. Furthermore, my plan to transfer complete control to Gayle is unassailable and designed to provide the long term stability and resources that all franchises need to produce consistently winning teams. It is our determined objective that our fans, our City, our State, and our entire region will continue to join in and benefit from our success. Selling these teams is not part of a solution, rather it is detrimental to those goals.

Gayle and I wish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.

• Like 1

Saints’ defense sets new record for futility with 43 passing TDs

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EST

502628580.jpg?w=250

The Saints are proving themselves to be the worst pass defense in NFL history.

On Sunday, Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles threw four touchdown passes in New Orleans, which means the Saints have now allowed 43 passing touchdowns this season. That breaks the longstanding NFL record of 40, set by the Broncos in 1963.

The Saints are also poised to break the all-time record for passer rating allowed: Through 15 games, the Saints’ defense has given up a cumulative passer rating of 117.1. The record for passer rating futility was set by the 0-16 Lions in 2008, when they allowed a cumulative passer rating of 110.9.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was fired during the season for the Saints’ defensive futility, but not much has changed since Ryan was canned. The Saints appear to have a problem with personnel as much as with coaching, and that’s a problem that can’t be fixed until the offseason.

My Skins had a great time feasting on your Saints sorry excuse for a defense.

Nice to see you come out of your hole, right on schedule when your team is winning, just like a Cowboys fan ironically. You'll soon be gone again when they lose in the play-offs so I'll say bye bye now. :hi:

• Like 2

Nice to see you come out of your hole, right on schedule when your team is winning, just like a Cowboys fan ironically. You'll soon be gone again when they lose in the play-offs so I'll say bye bye now. :hi:

You gotta love fair-weather fans. Won't hear a peep out of them when they're one and done.

• Like 1

You gotta love fair-weather fans. Won't hear a peep out of them when they're one and done.

I know, since RG3 was exposed, I've not heard anything about the Skins on here, then suddenly they have a bit of a run this year and win one of the worst divisions in the league with an 8-7, probably an eventual 9-7 record and out come the Foreskin tasters!

• Like 1

Drew Brees: I don’t see myself in anything but a Saints helmet

Posted by Josh Alper on December 29, 2015, 11:26 AM EST

502628964-e1451406406237.jpg?w=250

There’s been a lot of speculation this year about whether quarterback Drew Brees and coach Sean Payton will remain with the Saints in 2016.

Payton has said several times that he has no plans to leave New Orleans and that he has faith the Saints can get back on track after a pair of losing seasons. During an interview with Mike Florio on Tuesday’s PFT Live, Brees echoed those sentiments.

While he knows that there’s always speculation about changes heading into the offseason, he said that he can’t see himself with a team other than the Saints or playing for a coach other than Payton.

“Bottom line, I don’t see myself in any other helmet than a Saints helmet and I don’t see myself playing for any coach other than Sean Payton,” Brees said. “I know there’s all kind of speculation, especially when you’re not heading to the playoffs. Everybody immediately wants to jump to what are they going to do this offseason and how’s it going to look for next season. I’m confident that a plan was laid out last offseason for how we’re going to build this thing back to where we can make a run.”

If part of that plan includes a way to lower Brees’ cap number of $30 million, it would go a long way toward both ensuring Brees remains in New Orleans and that the Saints can address some of the problem areas that have contributed to their disappointing results over the last two years.

For more with Brees, tune into PFT Live at noon ET on Tuesday. You can listen to all three hours live via the various NBC Sports Radio affiliates, through the links at PFT, or with the NBC Sports Radio app.