treeduck

Saints G.M. says Sean Payton leaving was never discussed

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2016, 4:03 PM EST

350x-311.jpg?w=250

One of the most-talked about coaching vacancies in the NFL for the last month was the one that never became vacant.

Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said that the Saints never entertained any trade offers for coach Sean Payton and never thought about parting ways, despite widespread reports.

“Here’s what I can tell you: I never had a discussion with another team. No one called me and I never called anyone else,” Loomis said, Evan Woodbery of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Loomis replied “Not really” when asked if he thought about what appropriate compensation would have been (though there were several reports that a second-round pick might have gotten it done).

The two met the day after the season, amid plenty of chatter that the nine-year marriage might be on the rocks.

“(Payton’s) first statement when he walked in the room was, ‘Hey, I want to be here. I want to be coach for the Saints.’ It never really went beyond that,” Loomis said. “Then it was just a matter of how are we going to approach this season, what are the things we need to do, and let’s get going.”

Payton has two years left on his contract, and reports have circled around Payton for some time. And while Loomis can say there was no fire, the prevalence of smoke suggests that things might not have always been cool.

Loomis: Drew Brees will be our quarterback, we’ll figure out contract

Posted by Josh Alper on January 14, 2016, 4:57 PM EST

503285836-e1452808540479.jpg?w=222

The Saints entered the offseason amid speculation about coach Sean Payton leaving for another team, but he remains with the team after discussions with General Manager Mickey Loomis last week.

Loomis said Thursday that he never had a discussion about making a trade with another team that wanted Payton as their head coach and it doesn’t sound like he’s given much thought to life without Drew Brees either. The quarterback currently carries a cap hit of $30 million for the 2016 season, but Loomis said that’s not going to stand in the way of Brees returning for an 11th season in New Orleans.

“I know this: Drew’s going to be our quarterback,” Loomis said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “We’ll figure out how we’re going to handle the contract, whether it stays the same and just remains right in place, or whether we do something different. That’s all part of what we’ve got to figure out in the coming weeks.”

Loomis said the team’s cap situation is “not as dire” as people think it is and that he has looked at deals for other quarterbacks to prepare for possible extension talks. If they did reach agreement on an extension, it would lessen Brees’ cap burden next season and allow the Saints to use words other than “dire” as the baseline for their salary cap.

New Orleans Saints sign CFL linebacker Erik Harris, report says

The New Orleans Saints have signed Canadian Football League linebacker Erik Harris to a reserve/future contract, according to 3DownNation, which covers the CFL.

Harris has spent the last three seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, where he was a teammate of cornerback Delvin Breaux, who became a rookie sensation with the Saints in 2015.

At 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, Harris was listed as defensive back or linebacker in the CFL. He would be a linebacker or a big safety in the NFL.

Harris had 43 tackles and two interceptions for the Tiger-Cats in 2015. He signed with the CFL after playing college ball at California University of Pennsylvania.

This is the third consecutive offseason in which the Saints have signed a CFL player. They signed safety Marcus Ball in 2014 and Breaux a year later.

The Saints also signed receiver Kyle Prater to a reserve/future contract after a workout on Tuesday.

Drew Brees named NFL’s Clutch Performer of the Year

By NewOrleansSaints.com

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees has been named the NFL’s Clutch Performer of the Year for his seven-touchdown performance against the New York Giants, the league announced at “NFL Honors” in San Francisco Saturday night.

The award was voted on by fans. Brees was also a finalist for the FedEx Air Player of the Year, which Cardinals' Carson Palmer won.

Brees completed 39 of 50 passes for 505 yards and seven touchdowns with a 131.7 passer rating in the Saints’ 52-49 win over the New York Giants. His seventh touchdown pass tied the game with 0:36 remaining in the game. The Saints would go on to convert the game-winning field goal as time expired.

Edited by treeduck