Last night in the States

The Analog Cub

Had my first lecture today. As of today I finally have all of my classes figured out after dealing with all sorts of bullshit like conflicting classes, people not being available, etc. but it's done. Had my first British meat pie today at the food court on campus, filled with lots of turkey and gravy. Much love.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow everything will be figured out. Still having issues with the living office cause they haven't been helping us set up a direct debit account with our US bank account to make housing payments. We've refused to pay through credit card cause of the outrageous fees. One of my classes still doesn't have a room location and we meet on Thursday so hopefully they'll get their shit together soon.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet this weekend...I did find out that the UK's largest guitar store is only like a 20 minute walk from where I'm living so maybe I'll check that out. Trying to find societies or clubs that do traveling so I don't have to spend a lot of money to travel to London or other areas.

Had my first lecture today. As of today I finally have all of my classes figured out after dealing with all sorts of bullshit like conflicting classes, people not being available, etc. but it's done. Had my first British meat pie today at the food court on campus, filled with lots of turkey and gravy. Much love.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow everything will be figured out. Still having issues with the living office cause they haven't been helping us set up a direct debit account with our US bank account to make housing payments. We've refused to pay through credit card cause of the outrageous fees. One of my classes still doesn't have a room location and we meet on Thursday so hopefully they'll get their shit together soon.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet this weekend...I did find out that the UK's largest guitar store is only like a 20 minute walk from where I'm living so maybe I'll check that out. Trying to find societies or clubs that do traveling so I don't have to spend a lot of money to travel to London or other areas.

Sounds like you're fitting right in. Also sounds like typical college BS. :)

Gotta say, I like you being over there - you're online more when I'm online :)

That makes zero sense cause we're in the same time zone when I'm at home.

WTF are you? :wacko:

I'm on while coding at work... pop in while stuff is compiling or whatever. Almost never online while at home. While I'm at work, you're at school...

• Like 1

First week of class is over and I've finally got everything hammered out on the school end of things. Classes I'm taking:

Object-Oriented Software Design: this will be a cakewalk. It's UML which is easy as hell.

Nature Inspired Optimization: An advanced computer science topic on solving problems through "natural" means. Really interesting but I'm worried it'll be one of those awful theory classes. I prefer writing code...

Models of Computation: A comsci theory class. Not looking forward to it, though so far it isn't too bad.

Baroque and Classical Music: My "fun" class that will transfer back as humanities credit.

Gender and Sexuality: BS class for a social science credit I need back at home.

My schedule worked out so I don't have any class on Fridays. Hello 3 day weekends!

Tomorrow I'm planning on going over to a place called GuitarGuitar, which claims it is the largest guitar store in the UK...and it's only 20 minutes walk from where I'm living. This weekend I'll probably go visit downtown Birmingham again just to sightsee, last time we needed to get necessities so we didn't really take it all in.

I'm gonna hold off on taking trips outside of Birmingham for another week probably once things settle down with school. Would like to head over to London soon, or perhaps Manchester so I can go kick treeduck in the balls like LiX requested :LOL:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Gotta say, I like you being over there - you're online more when I'm online :)

That makes zero sense cause we're in the same time zone when I'm at home.

WTF are you? :wacko:

I'm on while coding at work... pop in while stuff is compiling or whatever. Almost never online while at home. While I'm at work, you're at school...

I'm 6 hours ahead...what the hell kind of shift are you working? Are you that weird breed of programmer that does everything at night? :P

How do you like the weather so far in England? How you finding it? Too cold? Warm? Too changeable? Boring?

The Januarys are certainly better than the Midwest's. It isn't going below 40F during the day. In essence if it weren't for the accents and people driving on the left side of the road I'd think I was in Seattle with all the wind and rain

Has treeduck found you yet? As bad as being a Bears fan is... don't let him talk you into rooting for the Saints!

Certainly better than being a Packers fan.

http://media20.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

Going downtown again today, this time to actually do some sightseeing since last time I went only cause I needed to get some stuff.

Downtown you say???

Maybe someone can fetch a youtube vid of that British sensation of the sixties, Petula Clark, singing Downtown.

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only one ancient enough to remember Petula Clark. :eh: :LOL:

Nope. Here you go...

Things will be great when you’re…

(My wife heard this and said..."I love this song!" Thanks for the inspiration, Lorraine!)

• Like 2

I guess I'm the only one ancient enough to remember Petula Clark. :eh: :LOL:

Oh no, I remember her. Only song I know that she did, though.

• Like 1