Proper pronunciation of towns.

Aikenrooster

Names some cities and towns that people frequently mispronounced in your state and tell me how to properly say it.

Is it "Lan Caster or "Lank uh ster" for Lancaster, for example?

I'll start: in South Carolina, Beaufort is pronounced "Byou fert", but "Bo Fort" in North Carolina.

In Florida it's " Kiss Emmy" not "Kiss A Me" for Kissimmee.

:eyeroll: I am the walrus... :outtahere:

Edit: Love your Bean avatar. :cheers:

Edited by greyfriar

:eyeroll: I am the walrus... :outtahere:

Edit: Love your Bean avatar. :cheers:

Thanks. I thought it was a hot dog. Anyway, it's in Chicago.

I was there in 2010 for the rain date. :)

My parents lived in Rhode Island when they were first married, and according to my mother, the locals always pronounced the name of their state "Rudd-DYE-Lund".

There's a place nearby called Slaithwaite, which isn't pronounced as it looks. Visitors usually go with more obvious "Slaith - wait" or "Slath - Wait"...but as locals know, it's actually pronounced "Slawit"...but that's because we like being difficult in Yorkshire.

There's a place nearby called Slaithwaite, which isn't pronounced as it looks. Visitors usually go with more obvious "Slaith - wait" or "Slath - Wait"...but as locals know, it's actually pronounced "Slawit"...but that's because we like being difficult in Yorkshire.

Wow!

How about Dunedin in New Zealand? They pronounce it "duh-need-den". Weirdest pronunciation I´ve ever heard.

We've got a Dunedin, FL, pronounced the same way. It's an old literary name for Edinburgh, Scotland; the city in Florida was at one time populated by Scottish immigrants and I bet that's also the case in En Zed.

Mebane, North Carolina is pronounced "Mebbin".

My office is in Acworth, Georgia. It's pronounced "Crackworth". :P (Not really, but it has a bit of a reputation).

• Like 1

How about Dunedin in New Zealand? They pronounce it "duh-need-den". Weirdest pronunciation I´ve ever heard.

We've got a Dunedin, FL, pronounced the same way. It's an old literary name for Edinburgh, Scotland; the city in Florida was at one time populated by Scottish immigrants and I bet that's also the case in En Zed.

My office is in Acworth, Georgia. It's pronounced "Crackworth". :P (Not really, but it has a bit of a reputation).

Thanks! I've been saying "Me Bane" all these years. Ugh

Thanks! I've been saying "Me Bane" all these years. Ugh

So was I, until we got cell sites assigned and I had to start working with their planning & zoning departments.

You might never guess.... but Fargo is pronounced Far-go. :o

Ok, one town in North Dakota that actually has an unclear pronunciation is Mandan. It's just pronounced Man-Dan, but sometimes visitors call it Man-din.

How about Wahpeton?
  • Like 1

The one that cracks me up and is almost universally mispronounced (and I hear it every Sunday) is DEE-troit. It just sounds so hillbilly to pronounce it that way.

I do kind of like the way the CBC hockey announcers call it Detroy-ut however.

It should be "Day twah" if weare going to get technical. And "Grand Blahnc" instead of "Grand Blank" for that shit hole beside Flint. All the French towns in the US have been bastardized. Speaking of Michigan, how do you pronounce Dogwagiac?

You might never guess.... but Fargo is pronounced Far-go. :o

Ok, one town in North Dakota that actually has an unclear pronunciation is Mandan. It's just pronounced Man-Dan, but sometimes visitors call it Man-din.

How about Wahpeton?

This one is actually kind of hard to write out! :LOL:

Wah-peh-ton

The vowels in peh and ton are barely noticeable and only subtly different, but it's three syllables. The real phonetic way to write it out is wah-pə-tən

I did the American Legion Boys State back in high school, and it was held there at the North Dakota State College of Science. :7up:

Edited by priest_of_syrinx