Was it really worth it? Vapor Trails VS Vapor Trails (Remix)

R2U1S1H2

A turd with some polish is still a turd...

True, but why did you bring up Counterparts?

Truth is I would listen to CP ahead of VT. Its "grundgy" from what I recall but not headache inducing. A good portion may be barf inducing however.... :)

Regardless of whether anyone likes the album, Counterparts has some of the best mixing of any of their 90's+ albums. It "sounds" great. I wish they could get some clarity now like they did on this album.

Agreed. CP is a horrible, horrible Rush album, but it sounds great.

Do you really feel that way or are you doing an SG? :D

miss post Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Truth is I would listen to CP ahead of VT. Its "grundgy" from what I recall but not headache inducing. A good portion may be barf inducing however.... :)

Regardless of whether anyone likes the album, Counterparts has some of the best mixing of any of their 90's+ albums. It "sounds" great. I wish they could get some clarity now like they did on this album.

Agreed. CP is a horrible, horrible Rush album, but it sounds great.

Do you really feel that way or are you doing an SG? :D

miss post

I just figured he didn't want to comment.

VT is a solid 7/10

VT the remix is an eight

If the production was as good as CP, it would be a ten.

VT is a solid 7/10

VT the remix is an eight

If the production was as good as CP, it would be a ten.

They'd have to tame down the distortion, and that's not in production but in the raw signal the producer gets to work with. They can't really take distortion out the way they can add it in later.

I absolutely LOVE CP! "Alien Shore!" Cheesy lyrics to incredible music!

• Like 3

SAYS IT ALL!!!!

Perfect time to unleash the kraken:

EAT MY TURD!

SAYS IT ALL!!!!

Perfect time to unleash the kraken:

EAT MY TURD!

Is it well-polished? :)

Of course!

I also don't listen to Vapor Trails very much. I love the title track, Nocturne, Secret Touch and Earthshine, thast about it.

That being said, I tried very hard to get into the new remix, and just can't. I miss the raw power of the original. Even if it is "brickwalled" and "ear fatiguing", the fact that they went the polar opposite and really went overboard to 'shine' everything doesn't do anything for me. in fact, its even less 'balanced' soundingthan the original.

• Like 1

I think the original

I also don't listen to Vapor Trails very much. I love the title track, Nocturne, Secret Touch and Earthshine, thast about it.

That being said, I tried very hard to get into the new remix, and just can't. I miss the raw power of the original. Even if it is "brickwalled" and "ear fatiguing", the fact that they went the polar opposite and really went overboard to 'shine' everything doesn't do anything for me. in fact, its even less 'balanced' soundingthan the original.

I agree wtih almost all of this, I like a lot of the songs on Vapor Trails but the original mix was terrible. The remix is terrible in different ways, it seems like a lot of the energy of the songs was stripped out. So to answer the question I would say no, the remix was not worth it. Why does Rush have such problems getting good sound in the last 20 years? I'm still mad about the horrible mixing of Rush in Rio and the CA tour, which both had setlists I loved but atrocious sound.

• Like 3

I think the original

I agree wtih almost all of this, I like a lot of the songs on Vapor Trails but the original mix was terrible. The remix is terrible in different ways, it seems like a lot of the energy of the songs was stripped out. So to answer the question I would say no, the remix was not worth it. Why does Rush have such problems getting good sound in the last 20 years? I'm still mad about the horrible mixing of Rush in Rio and the CA tour, which both had setlists I loved but atrocious sound.

it's one of my criticisms. This band seems to have forgotten how to make a good sounding album......just blanked on it, lol they need better people. it happened with Snakes......fluke i geuss.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I think the original

it's one of my criticisms. This band seems to have forgotten how to make a good sounding album......just blanked on it, lol they need better people. it happened with Snakes......fluke i geuss.

Mick

I think if they would break out of the box that they've gotten themselves into and try some new producers it would be a great thing for them. I hear so many really nicely mixed albums out today so it couldn't be that hard for them to find someone that would work out better.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that over the years it seems like the instruments have gotten pushed into the background on their albums? On the older recordings they were right up front in the mix and then over time they got pushed further and further back if that makes sense. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with moving to digital.
  • Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that over the years it seems like the instruments have gotten pushed into the background on their albums? On the older recordings they were right up front in the mix and then over time they got pushed further and further back if that makes sense. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with moving to digital.

The old guy noticed... :codger:
  • Like 1

The old guy noticed... :codger:

Stop that. You're the same age as I am and I don't want to feel old. :LOL:

I hear it too........is Neil even there on CA? lol

Mick

The only thing that's way up front on that album is the bass and it's extremely distorted. I think that's part of the reason everything sounds so muffled. If they would bring the instruments equally up front again it would be a huge improvement. Sometimes the old ways really are better.

I used to be blown away when Geddy laid down an interesting, complex, yet melodic bass line but when he decided on VT that he needed 3 heavily distorted bass tracks comprising of 3 fairly uninspiring parts cluttering up the mix on top of Alex's 50 guitar tracks it just seemed so unnecessary! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 3

Mick

The only thing that's way up front on that album is the bass and it's extremely distorted. I think that's part of the reason everything sounds so muffled. If they would bring the instruments equally up front again it would be a huge improvement. Sometimes the old ways really are better.

For a long time I've noticed that Geddy's bass is front and center and that is something I could never understand.

Is there a musical reason that I am unaware of for the bass being center and poor Alex off to the side?

Mick

For a long time I've noticed that Geddy's bass is front and center and that is something I could never understand.

Is there a musical reason that I am unaware of for the bass being center and poor Alex off to the side?

I have a feeling it's because he has the most control over what goes on.

I stll blame ged's My favorite Headache for the melodies on structures on VT. MFH Was VT the prequel. Very similar.

Mick

But MFH was actually mixed well.

• Like 2

Mick

I have a feeling it's because he has the most control over what goes on.

I'm surprised Alex lets him do it. Considering there would be no Rush if he hadn't been for Alex. I cannot recall if I have ever heard another band that puts the bass player front and center.

I stll blame ged's My favorite Headache for the melodies on structures on VT. MFH Was VT the prequel. Very similar.

Mick

But MFH was actually mixed well.

that it was.....but it is clear it is VT's inspiration. Melodies are similar. Chorus of Ged's

Mick