TRF loading times

savagegrace26

Very slow again it seems.... :(

There will be moments here and there where the board is slow. This is normal. Overall we're back to where we were when we first moved to the new software -- going into large forums from the main page is slow, everything else is pretty good except for the aforementioned occasional slowdowns.

This will hold us over until we can upgrade our hosting.

• Like 2

Very slow again it seems.... :(

There will be moments here and there where the board is slow. This is normal. Overall we're back to where we were when we first moved to the new software -- going into large forums from the main page is slow, everything else is pretty good except for the aforementioned occasional slowdowns.

This will hold us over until we can upgrade our hosting.

It is sporadic for sure. The threads that are massive are definitely a problem. If new ones are started (with the same subject matter) wouldn't that help i.e. "What song are you listening to now" "Post pictures of you" etc.?. Just curious... :)

At the risk of being Mr. Obvious and Mr. Redundant all in one, it's the signatures. My load times go from a few seconds to near infinity when I enable signatures. The TRF load times can be no better than the (at minimum) 3 photobucket images that get loaded on nearly every page of every thread.

We might just have to impose some sort of sig restrictions. There are some options I can engage that will limit the number of images, lines of text, etc. in a sig. I was always afraid to set those limits because I didn't know if it would mess up anyone's existing sig.

Okay, I've been posting a bit and...

When you see the main forum screen with all the titles: Random Samples, Video Vertigo, Music Of The Spheres etc, it takes about a minute or so after clicking on whatever title before you can get into the sub-forum thread titles. Then it takes about a minute or so after clicking said titles before you get into the page you want so that you can post.

Posting is relatively quick.

And much as I like to see the signatures, this is without them.

• Like 1

When you see the main forum screen with all the titles: Random Samples, Video Vertigo, Music Of The Spheres etc, it takes about a minute or so after clicking on whatever title before you can get into the sub-forum thread titles. Then it takes about a minute or so after clicking said titles before you get into the page you want so that you can post.

Try logging out, then going into any forum from the main page. You're inside in an instant. Two things are contributing to that -- guests cannot view sigs, and guests do not have thousands of posts. The more posts you have, the longer it takes to get into the bigger forums. It's the way the software is set up, and it's not the greatest. That's why we're hoping a faster host will speed that up.

• Like 1

Try logging out, then going into any forum from the main page. You're inside in an instant. Two things are contributing to that -- guests cannot view sigs, and guests do not have thousands of posts. The more posts you have, the longer it takes to get into the bigger forums. It's the way the software is set up, and it's not the greatest. That's why we're hoping a faster host will speed that up.

I noticed that when I am logged off. That has to be the problem.

I'm testing the theory of the signatures, and whether disabling them will work.

We shouldn't have to do that,

If so, why not get rid of Sigs all together?

Because mine is awesome and so is yours. I enjoy the signatures for the most part. Some folks use them to "personalize" themselves and I like that. The ginormous long @ss ones I could do without...
  • Like 1

Why not get rid of pictures in the sigs? Nothing wrong with people putting links or text, but it seems like all the pictures could do nothing but make the forum drag.

I'm not getting rid of them - I'm trying to see whether the loading time is quicker or not.

• Like 1

I'm not getting rid of them - I'm trying to see whether the loading time is quicker or not.

I know,

I meant those who run the forum. It was never this way in the past. :D

The forum is doing just fine today for me.

Totally worth the price of admission now.

Agreed. I feel the money invested is worth it at long last.... :)
  • Like 1

I have all sorts of problems with missing letters when I type + I can't use any of the links to load photos etc + I can't change my avatar. It just freezes. I usually type my message in word and paste it here if it is long. This has been going on for months now.
  • Like 1

I have all sorts of problems with missing letters when I type + I can't use any of the links to load photos etc + I can't change my avatar. It just freezes. I usually type my message in word and paste it here if it is long. This has been going on for months now.

You're using IE, right? It's a known incompatibility between this board and that browser.