Neil's drumming...what gives?

Captain Avatar

I just don't like that "holier than thou" attitude of thinking one's views on songs is objective or right. Especially when one tries to use some arbitrary opinion to somehow validate your own (like what the band may or may not like). It comes off as condescending and shitty, not to mention immature.. Just because one doesn't see the value or artistry of a song like Red Tide or Available Light doesn't mean you're right or that you have a "better" or some special esoteric point-of-view regarding music.

Just like I don't see the "greatness" in The Speed of Love like a (very) few do. I have never once called The Speed of Love "garbage" and never will. I think the song is hokey and cheesy and one of the band's weakest songs (if not the flat out worst) but I'm not going to excessively put it down and act like my opinion is superior than anyone else's. I wish I could appreciate what Lorraine hears in that song, but I don't. Although I do love how much she appreciates the brilliance of The Weapon. So she does have some taste ;)

Seriously, this arrogance that you have a better view of what constutes good and bad music is f*cking bullshit.

:unsure: I am going to read this over again a few more times as I suspect there is a well hidden compliment in it. Somewhere. :unsure:

Good luck with that.

There is very much a compliment (or two) in there. Lorraine is cool. She deserves them.

How about instead of making them so hard to find, you might actually "gasp" come right out and say them? :LOL:

"Lorraine is cool. She deserves them."

Uh. I just did that didn't I? Please don't set yourself up again. Thanks.

I just don't like that "holier than thou" attitude of thinking one's views on songs is objective or right. Especially when one tries to use some arbitrary opinion to somehow validate your own (like what the band may or may not like). It comes off as condescending and shitty, not to mention immature.. Just because one doesn't see the value or artistry of a song like Red Tide or Available Light doesn't mean you're right or that you have a "better" or some special esoteric point-of-view regarding music.

Just like I don't see the "greatness" in The Speed of Love like a (very) few do. I have never once called The Speed of Love "garbage" and never will. I think the song is hokey and cheesy and one of the band's weakest songs (if not the flat out worst) but I'm not going to excessively put it down and act like my opinion is superior than anyone else's. I wish I could appreciate what Lorraine hears in that song, but I don't. Although I do love how much she appreciates the brilliance of The Weapon. So she does have some taste ;)

Seriously, this arrogance that you have a better view of what constutes good and bad music is f*cking bullshit.

:unsure: I am going to read this over again a few more times as I suspect there is a well hidden compliment in it. Somewhere. :unsure:

Good luck with that.

There is very much a compliment (or two) in there. Lorraine is cool. She deserves them.

How about instead of making them so hard to find, you might actually "gasp" come right out and say them? :LOL:

Happy day! I think I found it:

Although I do love how much she appreciates the brilliance of The Weapon. So she does have some taste

:)

• Like 2

Best Promising New Drummer in 1980?

Beat me to it. Ya. This award almost sounds like an insult! Goes to show how much of a cult band they really were back then.. They were on their 7th album in 1980 and he's just a promising new drummer.. Wow

• Like 3

Good luck with that.

Happy day! I think I found it:

Although I do love how much she appreciates the brilliance of The Weapon. So she does have some taste

:)

:LOL: :LOL: :lol:

:unsure: "some" is better than none....

Maybe I ought to resurrect the thread he started on The Speed of Love bashing it to bits. You know. The one where I got together the modest list of resident Speed of Love lovers? :unsure: Or perhaps it would just be best to just drop the whole thing and look for the hidden compliment instead? :unsure:

A little search revealed to me that it was actually Len :smash: who started the Speed of Love bashing thread.

My apologies for falsely accusing you, Savage.

Well go easy on Len...he's 13 so he doesn't need to live up to my standards of "maturity".

• Like 1

I was mostly trying to refrain from appearing to give The Speed of Love any compliments.

Certainly a good cause...

:wacko:

My main issue with the song is the false and misleading title. The song should really move at the "speed of love" and be over in less than three seconds.

• Like 3

Best Promising New Drummer in 1980?

Beat me to it. Ya. This award almost sounds like an insult! Goes to show how much of a cult band they really were back then.. They were on their 7th album in 1980 and he's just a promising new drummer.. Wow

Yeah... Meanwhile, who's this Joni Mitchell chick who said that Taylor Swift couldn't play her in a movie? Who does that total amateur think she is, anyway? :eyeroll: ;)

• Like 2