comment on rush in rio possible blu ray

nicky6

Rush In Rio was shot on low quality cameras, which is why the original DVD was in non-anamorphic format; they didn’t have the quality to support anamorphic SD, so HD is going to look dreadful – no point releasing that on Bluray anyway. So the only thing that it’s

Do you really think Rush In Rio would sound any better with high-res audio, given the circumstances under which it was recorded and filmed? It doesn’t sound great on the current CD and DVD releases; that’s not because it’s not HD, it’s because it was recorded and filmed with mediocre equipment under difficult circumstances. I’d be amazed if an HD audio version sounded any better than the current CD and DVD.

The film, except for some Neil shots, was filmed in HD. If they use this footage, as I assume they will, there will be a noticeable increase in video quality. And, yes, I expect the audio to be better.

The film, except for some Neil shots, was filmed in HD. If they use this footage, as I assume they will, there will be a noticeable increase in video quality. And, yes, I expect the audio to be better.

We had this discussion in another thread a little while back. The question is, what will they do with those lo-res camera shots that were set up by Neil's kit and Ged's keyboards? Will they:

1. Blow them up to fill a 16x9 HD screen? This would make those shots look really lo-res and blurry.

2. Remove the letterboxing on the top and bottom and present those shots in their native 4x3 ratio with bars on the sides (pillarboxing)? Probably the best option. Mixing full-screen 16x9 and pillarboxed 4x3 is not the worst thing in the world. Those shots wouldn't look as good as the HD shots, but they didn't look as good on the original DVD anyway.

3. Remove those shots altogether, and edit in more shots from the HD cams? This would look the best, but it would mean a major re-edit, and I seriously doubt they'd go there.

I'm guessing option 2.

We had this discussion in another thread a little while back. The question is, what will they do with those lo-res camera shots that were set up by Neil's kit and Ged's keyboards? Will they:

1. Blow them up to fill a 16x9 HD screen? This would make those shots look really lo-res and blurry.

2. Remove the letterboxing on the top and bottom and present those shots in their native 4x3 ratio with bars on the sides (pillarboxing)? Probably the best option. Mixing full-screen 16x9 and pillarboxed 4x3 is not the worst thing in the world. Those shots wouldn't look as good as the HD shots, but they didn't look as good on the original DVD anyway.

3. Remove those shots altogether, and edit in more shots from the HD cams? This would look the best, but it would mean a major re-edit, and I seriously doubt they'd go there.

I'm guessing option 2.

Option 4: Re-edit the whole thing, including removing the low-res shots, so that there are far fewer cuts and I can watch the video without getting a seizure.

Hey, a man can dream.

• Like 3

I'm guessing option 2.

Option 4: Re-edit the whole thing, including removing the low-res shots, so that there are far fewer cuts and I can watch the video without getting a seizure.

Hey, a man can dream.

Yeah, that.

"The decision to forego an anamorphic version was due to limitations with some of the cameras used to film the concert. The majority of the concert was filmed in a 16:9 Digibeta format but due to the sensitivity of having cameramen distracting Neil during the show, mini remote cameras were used around him that could only be recorded in a 4:3 format. The issue of anamorphic was first raised in June and we investigated the option and what it would take to convert these tapes, which once the show was fully edited comprised about 25 - 30% of the footage used, to anamorphic. Since we were already dealing with a softer image, the process necessary to achieve anamorphic for these particular tapes would have degraded the footage further and many shots of Neil would have become blurred and all these shots would have really stood out from the rest of the program. With this footage comprising so much of the show it would have been become a distraction and as such lessen the experience for the viewer. The decision was made to maintain the strongest possible quality product and deliver a great performance, in what is still the most common format, while holding onto our intended letterbox look. The decision was purely one of giving the highest quality experience to all the viewers possible." - Allan Weinrib, Executive Producer, "Rush In Rio"

I just popped in the Rio blu-ray from the set. The picture is not good. Better than the DVD but not nearly up to the standard of their other blu-rays. Even the Test for Echo footage on the bonus discs is better picture quality.

If it looks better than the DVD, and the sound is better, than the box set becomes "worth it" for me.

• Like 1