Top 5 songs from the "synth-pop" era

savagegrace26

Too depressing.

Huh? I thought you liked the synth era...

Or was it just Signals/GuP...

Your files obviously have flawed data...start over.

Hmm... maybe I do need to delete /data/TRF/opinion/6182014/toymaker.txt...

;)

• Like 1

Too depressing.

Huh? I thought you liked the synth era...

Or was it just Signals/GuP...

Your files obviously have flawed data...start over.

Hmm... maybe I do need to delete /data/TRF/opinion/6182014/toymaker.txt...

;)

Also, my computer has been functioning at about 40% and 96% of my non-spam posts have been from an iPhone, so...

Too depressing.

I agree with you here.

While I know you don't mean it this way, the generally bright and upbeat sound and lyrical content of these trio of albums is much better than the overtly cynical and depressing sound and themes of their last three albums.

I hope they return to something a little more brighter and positive sounding on their next album. Alex's sludgy guitar tones on the past three albums definitley need a change.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Too depressing.

I agree with you here.

While I know you don't mean it this way, the generally bright and upbeat sound and lyrical content of these trio of albums is much better than the overtly cynical and depressing sound and themes of their last three albums.

I hope they return to something a little more brighter and positive sounding on their next album. Alex's sludgy guitar tones on the past three albums definitley need a change.

I don't know . . . to me those albums are a bit too bright and poppy. I don't really dislike Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, and Presto - I think there are some great moments on all of them - but I don't go to them very often. Not nearly enough meat on them bones. My ears prefer the darker stuff, I guess.

I do like the T. Brown production of some of the earlier albums, with the "separation" between the instruments, but I also rather like the sonic onslaught of Clockwork Angels. I don't really prefer the added "colors" of the synth washes and shots and pre-programmed lines (with a few exceptions). I'd love to hear a concert where they didn't "trigger" all that junk with their feet and drum pads or whatever. I just want to hear what they are making with their hands (and feet, in Peart's case).

To me, the visual analog is what graphic artists were doing to photography in the 80s, adding goofy pastel washes and graphic elements to album cover art (I thought Geddy's solo album had that sort of weird 80s-like treatment on the cover). I find it distracting. Usually I can listen to a classic Rush album and say, this time around I'm going to just listen to the bass; this time just the guitar . . . but in the later albums, those friggin' synth lines just kind of bully their way into my ears and scream "pay attention to meeeeee!"

Now, Tony Banks is another story....

Too depressing.

I agree with you here.

I don't know . . . to me those albums are a bit too bright and poppy. I don't really dislike Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, and Presto - I think there are some great moments on all of them - but I don't go to them very often. Not nearly enough meat on them bones. My ears prefer the darker stuff, I guess.

I do like the T. Brown production of some of the earlier albums, with the "separation" between the instruments, but I also rather like the sonic onslaught of Clockwork Angels. I don't really prefer the added "colors" of the synth washes and shots and pre-programmed lines (with a few exceptions). I'd love to hear a concert where they didn't "trigger" all that junk with their feet and drum pads or whatever. I just want to hear what they are making with their hands (and feet, in Peart's case).

To me, the visual analog is what graphic artists were doing to photography in the 80s, adding goofy pastel washes and graphic elements to album cover art (I thought Geddy's solo album had that sort of weird 80s-like treatment on the cover). I find it distracting. Usually I can listen to a classic Rush album and say, this time around I'm going to just listen to the bass; this time just the guitar . . . but in the later albums, those friggin' synth lines just kind of bully their way into my ears and scream "pay attention to meeeeee!"

Now, Tony Banks is another story....

I don't mean that extreme of brightness, but a little less darkness, and maybe a little less heavy with some subtle synth textures here and there. Nothing extreme either way. More of a blend between the mid-80's and this past decades sounds.

An 80's Rush + modern sound with some keys for texture but not overboard and continuining with their proggyish song structures from CA and some more positive and upbeat themes and lyrics instead of this dark cynical questioning beliefs and faith constantly with heavier than the 80s but a little less heavy than their recent material....

Hmmm. Am I describing Porcupine Tree? Wait. They can be pretty cynical...

• Like 2

I don't mean that extreme of brightness, but a little less darkness, and maybe a little less heavy with some subtle synth textures here and there. Nothing extreme either way. More of a blend between the mid-80's and this past decades sounds.

An 80's Rush + modern sound with some keys for texture but not overboard and continuining with their proggyish song structures from CA and some more positive and upbeat themes and lyrics instead of this dark cynical questioning beliefs and faith constantly with heavier than the 80s but a little less heavy than their recent material....

Hmmm. Am I describing Porcupine Tree? Wait. They can be pretty cynical...

All this sounds good to me.

I dig Porcupine Tree, too. Maybe one too many songs about alienated youth and their mood altering drugs.

Mission

Second Nature

Available Light

Manhattan Project

Territories

Tough choices as there are many that I like.....

• Like 2

Marathon

The Body Electric

Red Sector A

Second Nature

Available Light

The eighties was the best decade for Rush over all. Man, I love all these albums so much!

Marathon

The Body Electric

Red Sector A

Second Nature

Available Light

The eighties was the best decade for Rush over all. Man, I love all these albums so much!

70s all the way, including Permanent Waves. :)

• Like 1

Marathon

The Body Electric

Red Sector A

Second Nature

Available Light

70s all the way, including Permanent Waves. :)

It was released in 1980...

oh Led's on a plane now right?

Time Stand Still, Mission, Marathon, Mystic Rhythms, Prime mover. Could be replaced with the any of the next 5: Presto, Emotion Detector, Middletown Dreams, Grand Designs, Big Money.