My introduction to "prog"!

alieninvasion76

For me personally, my intro to “Prog” was in the fall of '75 (just before I turned 15). My new girlfriend (who I met through school band) was 2 1/2 years older and was hip enough to already be into "Yes", which she introduced to me via the "Close wTo The Edge" album. Quite the wham-bam intro to this new genre - no gradual intro via their earlier, tamer stuff.

Up to that point, the farthest my listening experience had roamed outside the mainstream was Pink Floyd's groundbreaking early stuff (ie. "Astronomy Domine" or "Careful With That Axe, Eugene!") which I discovered because my Dad - a part-time jazz musician - was hip enough to buy me "Umma Gumma" in '72 as my Grade 6 report card present (I had not even heard the name Pink Floyd yet). But even this I found to be only marginally more adventurous than Procol Harem, or The Beatles' "Abbey Road" which, being a Beatle-maniac since the age of 9, I had been listening to constantly, almost since it's release.

So... yes, the sound emanating, on that fateful day, from my gf's Marantz "SuperScope" mini stereo was unlike anything I'd heard, though, as taken as I was by this fantastic sonic assault, I wasn't quite ready for it..... yet!! Soon after, though, when I finally discovered FM radio (CHUM-FM was the place to have your dial in mid-70's Toronto), I heard Yes's "Roundabout" which I found much easier to get my head around.

And now we are approaching the eve of that seminal moment that eventually gave birth to my RushForum user name <alieninvasion76>. CHUM-FM began running these ads for something called "2112" by a band whose name I'd never heard before... "RUSH"!!! It consisted of a dramatic voice heralding this new release accompanied by a clip of the immortal spacey synth intro that Hugh Syme did for "Overture". I was, of course, intrigued, but it was several instances of hearing this prophetic ad before that hallowed day came in the spring of '76 when my buddy Dave showed up at a party brandishing the "2112" LP with its really cool cover and all. The stereo it was played on probably wasn't the greatest - one of those old console jobs - but it in no way took away from the feeling I remember vividly to this day, that of an all-powerful alien species having finally landed, hell-bent on taking over the planet! I've referred to that day, more times than I could ever possibly count, as "the day the Martians landed", one of only two times that has occurred in my entire life (strangely enough, the other instance happened later that very same spring when I first heard "Return To Forever" - a story for another day and perhaps another forum).

Now, not long after, Rush released "All The World's A Stage", but I hadn't quite come to appreciate "live" albums at that point and so it wasn't until many years later that I really got into that one, and now I think it's one of the best pure, raw rock 'n roll guitar albums ever recorded!

Of course, the subsequent release of “A Farewell to Kings”, and it’s mass acceptance within the “prog” community - especially within the cradle of progressive rock itself, England - cemented their status as such, despite Rush’s reticence at being tied to any particular genre other than “hard rock”.

This is inevitable however, especially given they share a particularly noble trait with “prog” - that being the admiration from practitioners of classical and jazz music, and similarly musically challenging genres… and its devotees… my grandfather included.

• Like 1

Looks like we are approximately the same age. I started with Rush in 76' and then discovered Yes very quickly after.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

In about 1980, I must have been about 14 and was generally unimpressed with the chart music my friends were listening to. I came across a radio show that aired between 10pm and midnight on Friday evenings on BBC Radio 1 - The Friday Rock show. This was, as far as I can remember, the only real rock show on British Radio at the time, but played all sub-genres of rock. Initially I was more interested in Hard rock like Led Zeppelin but quickly became more hooked on progressive bands like Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Marillion.

First time I heard Prog it was also Yes . From a older sibling's record collection . Since I was still mainly a Jazz fan it was several years before I heard 2112.

I heard Yes first, then Rush.... on the same day!

Edited by JimboWTF
  • Like 1

This is real "prog":

In that second video, what group is that?

They're a French band called Magma

I always think of Dr. Evil when I hear the word "Magma."

You should think of great music instead. Magma is an awesome band.

Some of the most emotional music I've ever heard, and incredible playing
  • Like 1

Queen A Night At The Opera mentioned above - first album i ever bought. Still and always will be the best. Rock craftsmanship like no other. Every track a different kind of masterpiece.

I mean, death on two legs, seaside rendezvous, the prophet song, good company etc topped off with that rhapsody song... awesome, only a mere handful of rock albums, including stuff like permanent waves, can get near it in any way.

Queen. Pure and classical rock genius. Privileged to see them live just once.

• Like 1