Worst live version of spirit of radio!

nicky6

They could drop it from the set list forever more and I wouldn't miss it. I don't really see the need to play it every single tour. I would think after 40 years they have earned the right not to play it again. That and TS.

I'm sorry, but I'm in the league of this....Do every other deep cut under the sun, but you need to have the essentials. Closer To The Heart, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, YYZ, The Spirit of Radio, and Subdivisions.

Oh dear God, do NOT bring back Closer to the Heart!

• Like 2

Isn't it an axiom that singers can't sing live? Just watch any band in some live show, and the singer is usually wayyy off. Hell, modern singers can't even sing in the studio and need computerized assistance to hit the notes. Don't see what the big gripe with Ged's voice is.

Not true. I mean those acts that do more dancing than singing maybe. A rock band singer should be able to, and do for the most part, sound good live. Perfect? No, but what's the fun in that? Before Geddy hit 55 years old he sounded great live!

• Like 2

They could drop it from the set list forever more and I wouldn't miss it. I don't really see the need to play it every single tour. I would think after 40 years they have earned the right not to play it again. That and TS.

I am in the same boat on a personal level. There's lots of other deep cut stuff that I would prefer to hear at a show. But I also realize I have been to more shows than the number of years I have been on the planet, so my opinion and experience is different.

Lately, though, every time I see the band, someone has brought their child - or grandchild - to that kid's first Rush show. I think it would be a hellavu disappointment for that young fan to not have experienced TSOL or TS live. I also think the band is very much aware of the generations effect at their show. Plus, they seem to really enjoy playing those two songs.

• Like 1

Never heard a decent live version of SOR its the consummate studio production for me, falls into a kind of concert party piece on stage, worth playing of course fantastic track the essence of Rush really but nothing near the studio feel replicated Edited by lifeson90

time machine was real bad for alot of songs, i even wish they would have doctored up some of geds bad vocals with studio magic, who would have known, basically, they are just releasing these shows on dvd AS IS, no vocal overdubs, bad vocals and all..

Time Machine is the worst. I still remember how horrified I was when I started playing the album and I heard those vocals.

GUP Tour is the best.

I don't see how The Time Machine vocals can make you feel horrified, but not CA Tour?

To me, the best version of TSOR is from the live "St. Louis" bootleg from the Permanent Waves Tour. Matter of fact, every song on that recording is a real standout. The boys were really at the height of their powers during that era, IMO.

Really? I don't think Geddy had full control over his voice in that show and it seemed like Alex butchered some of his solos.

Personally (hope some will agree) Moving pictures tour was when Rush was really Rush live 1981 tour.. The exit stage left video proves this (although incomplete). But the footage we have shows true rush at their game and excellent musicianship and geddys vocals (although maybe doctored a little) were off the chart. He sounded amazing .
  • Like 1

To me, the best version of TSOR is from the live "St. Louis" bootleg from the Permanent Waves Tour. Matter of fact, every song on that recording is a real standout. The boys were really at the height of their powers during that era, IMO.

Really? I don't think Geddy had full control over his voice in that show and it seemed like Alex butchered some of his solos.

what some call "butchering solos" I call "a live rock show"

• Like 3