Van der Graaf Generator / Peter Hammill

MaxDagger

Greetings all,

It just occurred to me, how many Rush fans happen to be VdGG/pH fans as well? I know a couple, but well, how often does it happen?

I'm a big fan of the band itself (their comeback album, Present, is perhaps the best comeback album I know - and they reunited after about a quarter century since they'd played together for the last time!), and of Peter Hammill's solo career. He's a brilliant (yet weird) singer, songwriter etc. A true original.

Here's a couple of links in case someone gets interested:

VdGG Fan Page with extensive info

Peter Hammill's Official Site

Edited by MaxDagger

My sister and her partner are both big fans. she's played some odds and sods by both VDGG and Peter Hamill (I thought Nadir's Big Chance was great) but I've not heard a lot. They're one of those bands I've always meant to delve into deeper but never got around to.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 2 2005, 01:58 AM)
I once bought a sampler on vinyl which had two songs that blew me away - White Hammer and Refugees.

They're on my list of bands to check out one of these days. I know a few albums have just been re-released, any suggestions?

Well if you liked White Hammer and Refugees, you may very well like the album that's spawned these songs - 'The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other' (1970). It's one of my favourites, too. I don't see a single weak track there - Darkness is perhaps my personal fave along with White Hammer.

Suggestions... hmm, I'm not that good when it comes to suggesting, I'd just try to describe each album and highlight the best (imho) songs.

Well as you have already heard, VdGG placed emphasis not on guitar or bass but on sax, organ and vocals, which lead to quite an unusual sound, that could only be compared to King Crimson... Robert Fripp also guested on their 'H to He...' and Pawn Hearts albums, but briefly. Later Peter introduced some electric guitar in the mix, which he played himself, but it didn't change the sound much, if you ask me.

Their debut, Aerosol Gray Machine, is a bit different from their subsequent recordings - it was done in like a day, and initially was supposed to be a pH solo album. Very romantic and atmospheric, but not exactly complex and challenging... Songs like Octopuss are amazing tho.

There's also a song 'House With No Door', one of their most beautiful ballads, it's off 'H to He Who is the Only One' that also contains VdGG's kind of underground hit 'Killer'. It's one of the most popular albums, but I don't like it that much. It's like tortured, both musically and lyrically.

Pawn Hearts is for those who like their prog albums served with lengthy compositions (there's only 3 of them). "The Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is indeed an epic. "Man-Erg" is one of my favourite songs, lots of rhythmic and melodic ideas thrown into it. Very weird but incredible.

Godbluff is less extreme, sonically, but it's even more complex. Sleepwalkers and The Arrow also happen to be catchy. And Sleepwalkers is for those who love their prog really weird, with hints of some old dance music thrown in (foxtrot or whatever, I'm not that good at naming them), tempo/rhythm changes...

Still Life has more catchy melodies (well maybe they don't have the hit potential of The Spirit of Radio but still). Childlike Faith in Childhood's End is one of my all time fave prog epics - it's really beautiful and the lyrics are amazing.

World Record has more songs, which are naturally shorter. Perhaps it's more accessible.

The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome features a drastic lineup change, as organist Hugh Banton and winds player Dave Jackson leave, and violinist Graham Smith and bass player Nick Potter come on board. Songs are again shorter and more in-your-face, if you want.

Present was recorded by Hammill, Jackson, Banton and their incredible drummer Guy Evans. It features more synth and guitar sounds, as Hammill developed considerable confidence on the keys and guitar throughout his solo career, but essentially it's VdGG still, with biting lyrics and mindblowing instrumentation. Moreover, Present includes 70+ minutes worth of improvisations - love them or hate them, there's no other way.

When it comes to pH's solo career, I'm kind of lost. Because the guy is frightfully prolific and versatile. The only consistent assets of his artistic output are quality and progressive spirit (yet he, like Fripp, does not like the term 'prog' that much).

Hammill's voice might require some time to get into, but I don't know... I was in love with his vocalising right away. He's got a 3+ octave range, tremendous power and ability to convey any emotion. What is more, his range and quality are intact to this day. It's kind of incredible. He prefers a more aggressive lower register now, as compared to his early tenor voice, but when he wants, he still can reach those high notes.

And he's one of the best lyric writers I know of. Him and Peart are my faves.

They're good, from what I've heard -- "Pawn Hearts" and the "World Record".

QUOTE (MaxDagger @ Aug 2 2005, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 2 2005, 01:58 AM)
I once bought a sampler on vinyl which had two songs that blew me away - White Hammer and Refugees.

They're on my list of bands to check out one of these days. I know a few albums have just been re-released, any suggestions?

Well if you liked White Hammer and Refugees, you may very well like the album that's spawned these songs - 'The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other' (1970). It's one of my favourites, too. I don't see a single weak track there - Darkness is perhaps my personal fave along with White Hammer.

Suggestions... hmm, I'm not that good when it comes to suggesting, I'd just try to describe each album and highlight the best (imho) songs.

Well as you have already heard, VdGG placed emphasis not on guitar or bass but on sax, organ and vocals, which lead to quite an unusual sound, that could only be compared to King Crimson... Robert Fripp also guested on their 'H to He...' and Pawn Hearts albums, but briefly. Later Peter introduced some electric guitar in the mix, which he played himself, but it didn't change the sound much, if you ask me.

Their debut, Aerosol Gray Machine, is a bit different from their subsequent recordings - it was done in like a day, and initially was supposed to be a pH solo album. Very romantic and atmospheric, but not exactly complex and challenging... Songs like Octopuss are amazing tho.

There's also a song 'House With No Door', one of their most beautiful ballads, it's off 'H to He Who is the Only One' that also contains VdGG's kind of underground hit 'Killer'. It's one of the most popular albums, but I don't like it that much. It's like tortured, both musically and lyrically.

Pawn Hearts is for those who like their prog albums served with lengthy compositions (there's only 3 of them). "The Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is indeed an epic. "Man-Erg" is one of my favourite songs, lots of rhythmic and melodic ideas thrown into it. Very weird but incredible.

Godbluff is less extreme, sonically, but it's even more complex. Sleepwalkers and The Arrow also happen to be catchy. And Sleepwalkers is for those who love their prog really weird, with hints of some old dance music thrown in (foxtrot or whatever, I'm not that good at naming them), tempo/rhythm changes...

Still Life has more catchy melodies (well maybe they don't have the hit potential of The Spirit of Radio but still). Childlike Faith in Childhood's End is one of my all time fave prog epics - it's really beautiful and the lyrics are amazing.

World Record has more songs, which are naturally shorter. Perhaps it's more accessible.

The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome features a drastic lineup change, as organist Hugh Banton and winds player Dave Jackson leave, and violinist Graham Smith and bass player Nick Potter come on board. Songs are again shorter and more in-your-face, if you want.

Present was recorded by Hammill, Jackson, Banton and their incredible drummer Guy Evans. It features more synth and guitar sounds, as Hammill developed considerable confidence on the keys and guitar throughout his solo career, but essentially it's VdGG still, with biting lyrics and mindblowing instrumentation. Moreover, Present includes 70+ minutes worth of improvisations - love them or hate them, there's no other way.

When it comes to pH's solo career, I'm kind of lost. Because the guy is frightfully prolific and versatile. The only consistent assets of his artistic output are quality and progressive spirit (yet he, like Fripp, does not like the term 'prog' that much).

Hammill's voice might require some time to get into, but I don't know... I was in love with his vocalising right away. He's got a 3+ octave range, tremendous power and ability to convey any emotion. What is more, his range and quality are intact to this day. It's kind of incredible. He prefers a more aggressive lower register now, as compared to his early tenor voice, but when he wants, he still can reach those high notes.

And he's one of the best lyric writers I know of. Him and Peart are my faves.

I was wondering if my thread on VdGG can merge with this one, to maybe up the VdGG hype for the new album biggrin.gif

God I love this band wub.gif

Hopefully the new album is as good as A Grounding in Numbers. Hammill said that its all improv and instrumental, like the second disc of Present but still different. Its awesome that a band that's been around for over 40 years is still changing their style.

Can't wait until NEARfest! 1022.gif I wonder if they'll meet the fans after the show.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 3 2012, 10:06 PM)
Hopefully the new album is as good as A Grounding in Numbers. Hammill said that its all improv and instrumental, like the second disc of Present but still different. Its awesome that a band that's been around for over 40 years is still changing their style.

Can't wait until NEARfest! 1022.gif I wonder if they'll meet the fans after the show.

If you meet them, please please please say hi for me, tell them a friend in Texas is a big fan and love their work wub.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 4 2012, 08:50 AM)

If you meet them, please please please say hi for me, tell them a friend in Texas is a big fan and love their work wub.gif

Will do!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 4 2012, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 4 2012, 08:50 AM)

Will do!

It'll mean the world to me! Thank you!

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 4 2012, 08:37 PM)
i have only listened to Pawn Hearts, and i really didnt like it. I guess i should check their other stuff, but, meeeh...

I tried listening to Pawn Hearts at least 3 times when I first got it but I couldn't get more than 5 minutes in. I finally gave it a chance and it still gets better after every listen and they're one of my favorite bands. Listen to it a few more times to see if it'll grow on you. Also check out Godbluff.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 4 2012, 08:10 PM)
i have only listened to Pawn Hearts, and i really didnt like it. I guess i should check their other stuff, but, meeeh...

I tried listening to Pawn Hearts at least 3 times when I first got it but I couldn't get more than 5 minutes in. I finally gave it a chance and it still gets better after every listen and they're one of my favorite bands. Listen to it a few more times to see if it'll grow on you. Also check out Godbluff.

You guys are high, pawn hearts lured me in from the start wub.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 5 2012, 12:51 PM)
Amazing band , photographed them twice...PH is a lovely bloke.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/VDGG%2002-04-08/Img12039.jpg

That's normally my view at VdGG, near the front, middle.

Guy Evans, big noise, small kit. The MAN.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 5 2012, 01:01 PM)

That was Wolverhampton

QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 5 2012, 05:05 PM)

That was Wolverhampton

Civic or Wulfrun?

I've seen them in Liverpool, Manchester & Leamington Spa.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 5 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Wartypig @ May 5 2012, 05:05 PM)

That was Wolverhampton

Civic or Wulfrun?

I've seen them in Liverpool, Manchester & Leamington Spa.

Wulfrun , and it was an awesome gig

Honestly, of the VdGG I have heard, Pawn Hearts is the least enjoyable. Definitely check out Godbluff and H to He Who Am The Only One.

smile.gif

ColdFire - You think VdGG will do a meet and greet sort of thing? That would be awesome! I mean there's only going to be a thousand people there... ohmy.gif: 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 5 2012, 11:44 PM)

Honestly, of the VdGG I have heard, Pawn Hearts is the least enjoyable. Definitely check out Godbluff and H to He Who Am The Only One.

smile.gif

ColdFire - You think VdGG will do a meet and greet sort of thing? That would be awesome! I mean there's only going to be a thousand people there... ohmy.gif: 1022.gif

I think the bands at RosFest did a meet and great type thing last year and that's a similar sized festival, so you never know!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/343/cover_152320752012_r.jpg

1. Earlybird

2. Extractus

3. Sackbutt

4. Colossus

5. Batty Loop

6. Splendid

7. Repeat After Me

8. Elsewhere

9. Here's One I Made Earlier

10. Midnite Or So

11. D'Accord

12. Mackerel Ate Them

13. Tuesday, The Riff

14. Dronus

Sackbutt? unsure.gif

Love the Band - I once met Peter Hammill after an 'In store' performance in 1999 and had the chance to talk to the guy. He's such a great person full of understatement, but he seemed to be very bewildered at the time. Anyway, it was very funny and enlightening.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 7 2012, 11:08 PM)
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/343/cover_152320752012_r.jpg
1. Earlybird
2. Extractus
3. Sackbutt
4. Colossus
5. Batty Loop
6. Splendid
7. Repeat After Me
8. Elsewhere
9. Here's One I Made Earlier
10. Midnite Or So
11. D'Accord
12. Mackerel Ate Them