Suggest an interesting Rush mix CD for me to make

toymaker

Post your most interesting idea for an 80 minute CD. I'll make these CDs for myself and call them "the Segue Mix" and "the Narpski mix" and "the Lorraine Mix" and the . . . you get the idea. And . . . I know this is hard, but . . . try to represent the whole career. Be surprising. I want to make real CDs, not just playlists, so we're limited to 80 minutes. I have a program that allows me to take sections from longer songs, as well, so I can include, say "No one at the Bridge" or "Armageddon." One restriction: I always skip the following songs: Roll the Bones, Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, Tai Shan, and Virtuality. However, I'm willing to listen to arguments for including those songs...and I'll try to keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

One restriction: I always skip the following songs: Roll the Bones, Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, Tai Shan, and Virtuality. However, I'm willing to listen to arguments for including those songs...and I'll try to keep an open mind.

One argument for them is if the CD was a "Worst Of..." :outtahere:

• Like 1

One restriction: I always skip the following songs: Roll the Bones, Neurotica, You Bet Your Life, Tai Shan, and Virtuality. However, I'm willing to listen to arguments for including those songs...and I'll try to keep an open mind.

Right. But that's a different thread. Sort of a "what mix CD would you play to punish yourself?" kind of thing.

• Like 1

I did this a few years ago with minidisc as I am still a huge fan of the medium as far as recording without a computer and the ability to make perfect edits...not to mention they never seem to fail.

Anyhoo, I tend to like the deeper cuts on albums at times, and after Hurricane Katrina for a time I was living in a little 13ft Scamp travel trailer and had a small setup in it with a Carver tube cd player and a Sony Type-R minidisc recorder. Making analog copies from the tube section of the Carver imparts a tape-like thickness and warmth...so the recorded minidiscs have the sound of the Carver. The only Rush cds I had on-hand at the time were Mo-Fi versions of 2112 and Moving Pictures, plus the original issue Fly By Night and Caress of Steel...and the newly released (at the time) R30 dvd. I purposely wanted the more moody lesser-played tracks. Not the best songs from those albums, but it's a different, unique mix. So, here's the minidisc I made. I love it!!!

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

3) Oracle: The Dream

4) Circumstances (live from R30 dvd...GREAT live 70's version)

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

9) I Think I'm Going Bald

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

14) Beneath, Between, and Behind

15) The Camera Eye

16) La Villa Strangiato (live from R30 dvd...talk about analog tape 70's goodness)

17) Lakeside Park

Here's a corny thing I just noticed...on minidisc, you can name the titles and the disc. The Carver tube cd player has a "Soft-eq" circuit that further thickens things up in addition to the tubes. I label (usually in the disc title) recordings I make off the Carver "SCAT" for "Soft-eq Carver Analog Tube" so that I remember how the minidisc was recorded. Anyhoo, i named the minidisc: Rush "Paula Abdul Featuring MC 'SCAT' Cat"

I will probably be crushed in the gears of a combine for associating Rush with Paula Abdul, but I'm assuming (can't really remember lol) the link was because she once had a horrid song called "Rush" and screwed an animated cat. So, it kinda fit in a weird way...

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1

Right. But that's a different thread. Sort of a "what mix CD would you play to punish yourself?" kind of thing.

God, the last thing we need is another thread about S&A

I only get 80 minutes. I don't think I will get anywhere near S&A with my mix.....

I did this a few years ago with minidisc as I am still a huge fan of the medium as far as recording without a computer and the ability to make perfect edits...not to mention they never seem to fail.

Anyhoo, I tend to like the deeper cuts on albums at times, and after Hurricane Katrina for a time I was living in a little 13ft Scamp travel trailer and had a small setup in it with a Carver tube cd player and a Sony Type-R minidisc recorder. Making analog copies from the tube section of the Carver imparts a tape-like thickness and warmth...so the recorded minidiscs have the sound of the Carver. The only Rush cds I had on-hand at the time were Mo-Fi versions of 2112 and Moving Pictures, plus the original issue Fly By Night and Caress of Steel...and the newly released (at the time) R30 dvd. I purposely wanted the more moody lesser-played tracks. Not the best songs from those albums, but it's a different, unique mix. So, here's the minidisc I made. I love it!!!

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

4) Circumstances (live from R30 dvd...GREAT live version)

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

15) The Camera Eye

16) La Villa Strangiato (live from R30 dvd...talk about analog tape goodness)

17) Lakeside Park

A good mix - I will call it the Spaghetti Deep Cut Mix. Thanks! This will fit on an 80 minute CD?

• Like 1

I only get 80 minutes. I don't think I will get anywhere near S&A with my mix.....

I was referring to the "what mix would you play to punish yourself?" But maybe that would be Presto. S&A could better be described as torture.

• Like 1

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

15) The Camera Eye

17) Lakeside Park

Circumstances is from the Snakes & Arrows tour.

Okay, but I think Malignant Narcissism (sp?) is a cool little track, and it might be useful to make up the last couple of minutes of a 77 minute track list.

I was referring to the "what mix would you play to punish yourself?" But maybe that would be Presto. S&A could better be described as torture.

I don't know. I just listened to VT and its sad that it has some good songs but the sound literally gave me a headache....

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

15) The Camera Eye

17) Lakeside Park

He might be referring to disc 2 - the "vault stuff"?

• Like 1

Okay, but I think Malignant Narcissism (sp?) is a cool little track, and it might be useful to make up the last couple of minutes of a 77 minute track list.

Can't go wrong with their instrumentals.....
  • Like 1

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

15) The Camera Eye

17) Lakeside Park

Not that version...I am referring to the version from the bonus content on the R30 dvd; the 70's live in-studio versions of both "Circumstances" and "La Villa Strangiato" are on that dvd. I would never record on purpose the version from the Snakes and Arrows tour.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for NOT referring to it as "MalNar." That's douchiness at its most douchiest.

1) No One at the Bridge

2) The Twilight Zone

5) Tears

6) Red Barchetta

7) Panacea

8) A Passage to Bangkok

10) Making Memories

11) Bacchus Plateau

12) Best I Can

13) Lessons

15) The Camera Eye

17) Lakeside Park

A good mix - I will call it the Spaghetti Deep Cut Mix. Thanks! This will fit on an 80 minute CD?

It surely fit on an 80 minute minidisc...it comes in at 75:34. Listening to it now!

I don't know. I just listened to VT and its sad that it has some good songs but the sound literally gave me a headache....

The 2013 remix?

The 2013 remix?

Yes....

The 2013 remix?

Yes....

Hmmm...didn't have that problem.

Then again, I'm not as old as you. :P

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Sorry mate, but I'm pretty sure you mean the Snakes and Arrows Live DVD. It wasn't part of R30.

As for my mix:

2112: Grand Finale

Hemispheres: Prelude and Armageddon (you can move these around to anywhere you want if you don't want them next to each other)

In The End

Spirit of Radio

Xanadu (instrumental section)

Cut to the Chase

Animate

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Headlong Flight

Bacchus Plateu

Superconductor (yeah right) Just kidding, give me Available Light

Crossroads (from the RnRHoF)

The Garden

Sorry mate, but I'm pretty sure you mean the Snakes and Arrows Live DVD. It wasn't part of R30.

Sorry mate, but I'm absolutely sure that I mean R30. Read the thread thoroughly before commenting. Thank you, drive through.

As for my mix:

2112: Grand Finale

Hemispheres: Prelude and Armageddon (you can move these around to anywhere you want if you don't want them next to each other)

In The End

Spirit of Radio

Xanadu (instrumental section)

Cut to the Chase

Animate

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Headlong Flight

Bacchus Plateu

Superconductor (yeah right) Just kidding, give me Available Light

Crossroads (from the RnRHoF)

The Garden

The WavesandWindows Mix . . . I'm curious about the "instrumental only" Xanadu? Everything up to a certain point in the song? And . . . "Crossroads"? I'm digging the selection, though! Thanks.