Countdown with Analog Kid reprise

drbirdsong

The title of this thread says it all. I am always surprised to find old trivia that missed back in the day. Apparently on the original pressing of Signals Countdown had a one minute reprise of The Analog Kid at the end. I had the first pressing because I bought the vinyl the day it was released. If such a thing exists I certainly never heard about it until today. If I had to guess it may be from some sort of radio interview that was bootlegged, but who knows. No really, who knows? Did anyone else ever hear of this and by golly I know we aren't supposed to share such things, but if you have it fork it over already.

For a moment there I thought maybe I had dreamed it, but I finally found my source: The 100% always dead on the money (wait for it) Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_(Rush_song)

Countdown is a Rush song that describes the launch of STS-1 and the Space Shuttle Columbia [1] as the group watched from a VIP area called Red Sector A at the time. The song incorporates audio from voice communications between astronauts John W. Young and Robert Crippen and ground control along with commentary from the Kennedy Space Center Public Affairs Officer leading up to the launch.[2]

The song incorporates foreboding serious tone with driving rhythm along with heavy amount of synthesizer, with Lee playing only a minimal amount of bass guitar. Lyrics paint a vivid account of their experiences witnessing the launch. It closes the album Signals, and its cautionary tales of man's reliance on technology, on a more positive, celebratory note.[3]

The song was used as a wakeup song for astronauts during STS-109, which was the last successful flight of Space Shuttle Columbia. It was used again for astronaut Mike Fincke during STS-134, flown by Space Shuttle Endeavour on its final mission before retirement. Fincke described how his friends Greg Shurtz and NASA employee Ken Fisher chose the song because the band was inspired to write it after viewing the launch of STS-1. Fincke went on to say the song was played as a tribute to the space shuttle program, which has inspired people around the world.[4]

This song, as printed in the liner notes of the Signals album, is dedicated to "the astronauts Young & Crippen and all the people of NASA for their inspiration and cooperation."

The song itself ends very abruptly around 5:49, but a reprise of "The Analog Kid" from earlier on the album is included as a hidden track, extending it to 6:49. Some vinyl pressings of the album, as well as most pre-recorded tape editions, should have ended without this reprise. Original North American pressings of Signals contain the reprise by comprising and reflecting its inclusion.

First of all, if this did happen, it was probably on the 12" single version (or something like that).

More probably, this never happened. I love Wiki, but until I see a picture of a Countdown single stating it's 6:49 long, I'm not believing it. This never happened on the L.P., that's for sure. I stand by my original post. :)

First of all, if this did happen, it was probably on the 12" single version (or something like that).

More probably, this never happened. I love Wiki, but until I see a picture of a Countdown single stating it's 6:49 long, I'm not believing it. This never happened on the L.P., that's for sure. I stand by my original post. :)

Yeah, it looks like the only "source" for this claim is not cited and from the Wikipedia revision in November of last year. Further, it's by a user who has had numerous complaints against them for formatting. Similarly, the only reference to it on the wiki page for the album itself was by the same user and also from November of last year. I can't imagine a band the size of Rush would have a pressing with such a different version and no one would know about it but one guy on Wikipedia. I mean, like, we all know about the different version of The Weapon, maybe this is trying to play off that.

There's apparently an urban legend of sorts that the section Rush sat in to watch the launch was called "Red Sector A," but again there's no evidence of this or of NASA ever naming press/VIP sections that way.

I'd call bullshit. I thought maybe it could have been a confusing track listing on the Signals radio promo, but checking the track list of that the two songs are nowhere near each other (http://www.discogs.c...release/3075057).

Edited by gudbuytjane

I think this is interesting, even the signals wiki contains information about this "reprise". It says that It starts after the slamming door ending of countdown and mentions that analog kid has the same ending. Of a slamming door. Hmmm, I'm going to research this a bit more.

I think this is interesting, even the signals wiki contains information about this "reprise". It says that It starts after the slamming door ending of countdown and mentions that analog kid has the same ending. Of a slamming door. Hmmm, I'm going to research this a bit more.

Y'all find anything?

Y'all find anything?

I found absolutely nothing. It would be cool of this existed though.

Y'all find anything?

I found absolutely nothing. It would be cool of this existed though.