Post-1990's Prog Rock

gudbuytjane

Although progressive rock hasn't ever achieved the heights it reached in the 70's, there are still many amazing bands who've come about in the past 25 years. Here are a few of mine, share yours!

Wobbler are from Norway, and freaking fantastic musicians. They play retro instruments, and if anyone misses the sound of Rickenbackers, their bass player Kristian Karl Hultgren plays one (and he's amazing, too). They evoke classic-era Yes and Gentle Giant for me.

http://youtu.be/Bt23TrhMN48

The Tangent, from the UK, have been around since the early 2000's, and while I find their output inconsistent (some albums amazing, some kinda meh) this song is fantastic and should be required listening for Jethro Tull-style prog fans.

http://youtu.be/xIYqTWjAqUI

Eagle Moon, Spock's Beard are totally awesome! Do you like Transatlantic?

And then there's The Flower Kings. I like their early albums better than their later ones, but Roine Stolt is pretty amazing regardless.

http://youtu.be/SQKiyvEoxh4

Eagle Moon, Spock's Beard are totally awesome! Do you like Transatlantic?

I haven't really heard anything by them. I'm not a huge Dreamtheater fan, so I haven't checked them out.

I know echolyn quite well. "As the World" was the first CD I bought when I was getting into modern prog. Then I saw them live NEARFest on the East Coast a few years later.

What little I've heard of Wobbler I've liked.

But what about the mighty Änglagård?

I've honestly gotten a bit tired of Spock's Beard/Flower Kings/Transatlantic style modern prog. A lot of it is starting to sound like "prog for the sake of being prog" (e.g. the new Transatlantic, which sounds bloated). Granted, I still really like Big Big Train, Beardfish, Phideaux, and several others that play more retro-style stuff. But anyway, here's a list of some of my favorite prog albums of the last 10 years.

Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Horizons (2004)

echolyn - The End is Beautiful (2005)

Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon (2007)

Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic, Part Two (2008)

Birds and Buildings - Banton to Behemoth (2008)

Cheer-Accident - Fear Draws Misfortune (2009)

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tails of Crushing Defeat (2009)

miRthkon - Vehicle (2009)

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here (2010) & Weather Systems (2012)

Moon Safari - Lover's End (2010)

Gosta Berlings Saga - Glue Works (2011)

Jack o' the Clock - How Are We Doing And Who Will Tell Us? (2011) & All My Friends (2013)

White Willow - Terminal Twilight (2011)

Big Big Train - English Electric, Part One (2012) & Part Two (2013)

iamthemorning - ~ (2012)

Thank You Scientist - Maps of Nonexistent Places (2012)

Chrome Hoof - Chrome Black Gold (2013)

Mike Keneally - You Must Be This Tall (2013)

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (2013)

Some samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNleAiOTpX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRPJQxyov8

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 1

The Flower Kings, Spocks Beard, Transatlantic, Big Big Train, The Tangent et al are the very antithesis of progressive music. Derivative, predictable and stale. I appreciate there is a market for this stuff but none of these bands are anywhere near as good as the bands they ape.

Echolyn are quirky enough to get away with their obvious Gentle Giant influence. Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, N.A.O have enough influences outside of Prog and a toe in the Indie camp so sound relatively fresh and vital.

Something needs to come along and save us from repitition.

The Flower Kings, Spocks Beard, Transatlantic, Big Big Train, The Tangent et al are the very antithesis of progressive music. Derivative, predictable and stale. I appreciate there is a market for this stuff but none of these bands are anywhere near as good as the bands they ape.

Echolyn are quirky enough to get away with their obvious Gentle Giant influence. Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, N.A.O have enough influences outside of Prog and a toe in the Indie camp so sound relatively fresh and vital.

Well, well, well Tony R has finally dragged himself off the couch after sleeping off his very heavy Sunday lunch...

I'm with you on this. I'm tiring of Transatlantic. Their new one is OK, their covers are terrible. Jesus, they butchered And You And I. Butchered it.

HOWEVER, Big Big Train are fab. So many pop hooks, with an almost indie slant. And very English. I like that.

Yeah, Big Big Train is absolutely outstanding. They definitely have a refreshing take on the genre, and incorporate lots of cool instrumentation. These guys definitely have the spirit of prog in their veins, but do it in a way that doesn't sound so rehashed. Fantastic vocals as well.

Moon Safari have been blowing me away lately. Their newest album (Himlabacken Vol. 1) is a prog rock masterpiece. Their older albums sound quite a bit like early Flower Kings, but their most recent albums have been a bit more unique and stylistically different. Amazing vocal harmonies as well!