AVATARIUM: the last (doom) jem of 2013?

H. P. L.

I think the best way to talk about this new band is post the story that hooked me in the first place.

So, from Decibel blog:

When it comes to stories of how bands started up, Avatarium’s has quickly become a favorite of mine. Candlemass head honcho Leif Edling was at his own birthday party, when Mikael Åkerfeldt drunkenly suggested they start a band together. Apparently Åkerfeldt does that all the time yet never actually goes through with it, but Edling took his word for it and immediately started writing songs with Åkerfeldt’s voice in mind. As it turned out, even though his Opeth buddy couldn’t commit to the project, the new material was so good Edling decided to see this project through with some more willing participants. Enter guitarist and former Candlemass fill-in Marcus Jidell, who in turn would convince his girlfriend Jennie-Ann Smith to try singing. The end result is a brilliant debut album that explores doom metal in a way Edling can’t do with Candlemass, broadening its reach into classic rock, psychedelic rock, and even pop. Smith’s persona works wonders, at times sounding as haunting and mysterious as Jex Thoth, but also capable of entrancing listeners with genuine soul rather than keeping them at an arm’s length. “Moonhorse”, “Boneflower”, and “Lady in the Lamp” all show incredible promise, and Edling is clearly relishing this new musical direction. His ongoing Candlemass gig might pay the bills, but it’s good to see him continuing to make vital music. This new band is a keeper. -

http://youtu.be/GWuGTYiQs8U

Female-fronted doom seems to be the thing this year, with a lot of bands looking back to the glory of Coven. But this is pure Black Sabbath for this age. If you were disappointed by "13", this might cheer you up. Wait a sec, can DOOM cheer up? WHo cares...

Edited by H. P. L.
  • Like 2

2013 was a great year in music. We got Darkthrone, Falkenbach, Hammock and Germ all releasing new albums.

I loved it. Great female vox and doom this year wasn't so good. Only Ghost came out with such a strong repertoire to make me check out their latest effort.

Overall, Avatarium's eponymous new debut gets a 9/10

The lyrics are sort of nonsensical, but rather poetic nonetheless.

Edited by Nate2112

The lyrics are sort of nonsensical,

Sort of? They out-Dio Dio for silliness.

I personally like a lot the lyrics of Moonhorse. They sound like a deranged kids ballad. My kind of stuff.

Not saying the lyrics are bad, they're just nonsensical.