TRF Prediction Thread and Roast: Rushgoober's 30,000th post

Tombstone Mountain

You know he's planning on something to document the occasion  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will his thread topic be?

• A thanks to TRF for the years of support?
    • Another malignant VT thread
    • A thread asking the question "why do so many people here care what I think?"
    • Why BU2B2 ruins Clockwork Angels
    • Rushgoober's top 500 commercials off all time
    • Rushgoober's top 500 recipes for hippies
    • Top Ten Movies that make Rushgoober cry
    • Pink Floyd: Overtaking Rush as my favorite band
    • Why Krautrock makes me space out
    • Headlong Flight, how it grew on me, and why people say dumb stuff
    • Gerbils: Curiousity didn't just kill the cat
    • I love how Neil describes wildlife, and here's why
    • Rush concerts that live in my psyche
    • Ben Affleck
    • Behind the Candlabra—movie of the year

I got a PM recently from a reader who told me (us) to never stop doing this, to keep up the creative writing momentum.

Of course Rushgoober would tell you that! ;)

A very Merry Christmas Grindboy!!!!

:blaze:

Is Goobs a woman? From Texas?

Thanks Mr.Blaze! I enjoyed your perspective, honesty, and humor. Hope yours is a great Christmas!

• Like 2

Dear Friends:

This thread has gone on so long and began so far back, that I honestly don't remember how I ever got involved in it.

Be that as it may, I am in awe at the talent and the imagination of my esteemed cronies.

Anyway, the point of this post was to say:

RushGoober, I know you are lurking and reading this. Did you ever think the awaiting of your 30000th post would elicit such a thread?

Merry Christmas to you, Goobs, and to all of my friends here. Thank you for allowing me to become part of this. I've had more fun than I can tell you.

And a very special thank you to Tombstone Mountain that lives in a nonexistent town in Tennessee! Without you, none of this would have happened.

P.S. Sounds like an Academy Award acceptance speech, doesn't it? :LOL:

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back at cha'...This is so much fun to do! Glad you enjoy them enough to join in on the zany humor.

• Like 2

I got a PM recently from a reader who told me (us) to never stop doing this, to keep up the creative writing momentum. It was great to hear that feedback.

:eh:

Come, come now Substance! Don't look so gloomy. Think of it as having job security!

I still don't know how I made the transition from protester of injustice to YBG correspondent. :eh:

• Like 3

I got a PM recently from a reader who told me (us) to never stop doing this, to keep up the creative writing momentum. It was great to hear that feedback.

:eh:

Come on man, we can do it! Think about building a Notre Dame replica entirely of pasta! It can be done!

I'd also like to say Merry Christmas and a big thank you to Tombstone, Substance, Lorraine (who is smoking hot!) and all the readers of this thread. It's a great source of inspiration for me and it has allowed me to experiment writing directly in English, testing my abilities to the limit. Thank you all and love to you all.

You're more eloquent than many people whose first language is presumably English. :cheers:

• Like 3

Merry Christmas to Tombstone, Lorraine, H.P.L., and the precious few other brave souls who haunt this thread.

http://pondgardenpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/charlie-brown-christmas-tree-clip-artfree-clip-art-picture-of-a-scrawny-christmas-tree-v7ffssum.jpg

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/12962/funny-xmas.gif

• Like 3

Merry Christmas to Tombstone, Lorraine, H.P.L., and the precious few other brave souls who haunt this thread.

http://pondgardenpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/charlie-brown-christmas-tree-clip-artfree-clip-art-picture-of-a-scrawny-christmas-tree-v7ffssum.jpg

That's the pioneering spirit!

• Like 2

Thank you! I'd been saving this song especially for today...

http://youtu.be/9dX5WKB_VTQ

Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 2

Merry Christmas!!!

Niiiiiiiiccccccceeeeee!!!!!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2012/05/goober.jpg

This thread is better than any thread I've ever started. I give it a thumbs up!

I liked the one when you fooled the sh*t out of me better..... :D-13:
  • Like 2

Perfect timing. Perfect situation. Different kind of thread.

This one has become a collection of creative writers roasting the premier Vapor Troll. I can understand your taste as you're not a "reader".

Perfect timing. Perfect situation. Different kind of thread.

This one has become a collection of creative writers roasting the premier Vapor Troll. I can understand your taste as you're not a "reader".

True, but that still stung a little..... :)

The Yukon Blade Grinder

Christmas at the Huguenot

Toronto

25 Dec 2013

by substancewithoutstyle, YBG flunky

I should start off by saying that I dearly hope the header of this "article" is to Tombstone's satisfaction. He's become very finicky and demanding since my recruitment as a Grinder correspondent. He said he got tired of watching me sit on my ass all day gluing pasta shells together, and that he'd just as soon put me to work. Fortunately, he did give me Christmas Day off. Since I'm writing this on my rest day, and not in any official capacity, he really can't complain, can he?

I managed to coax Lorraine into returning to Toronto for what everyone hopes is the home stretch of the Goober saga. I told her that it would be a shame for her to bail on us after everything we'd been through together, and nobody wants to be called a quitter, so she reluctantly agreed to put family obligations aside and promptly hopped a plane back to The Great White North. While Tombstone went to the airport to retrieve her, I set about looking for a Christmas tree, a task I'd neglected to do until this morning.

As I drove along the motorway in our placid little suburb, I feared I'd have trouble finding an establishment to buy a tree on Christmas Day itself. My fears evaporated when I rounded a curve and saw a huge neon sign that read "Cliff's Christmas Conifers". While perusing the trees on offer, I noticed a very Santa-like figure seated at a card table in one corner of the lot. On closer inspection, he looked suspiciously familiar. Cliff's Christmas Conifers? Could it be? It was none other than Cliff Burnstein, the man largely responsible for signing Rush to their first record deal at Mercury Records. As you can imagine, I had a lot of questions for him, so below is a transcript of the juiciest bits of our conversation.

ME: I thought you were the co-owner of Q Prime, the management company that represents Metallica, among others. What are you doing selling Christmas trees, of all things?

CB: My business partner, Pete, does most of the heavy-lifting there, and I needed a place to go where I could get away from the rat-race on occasion. I've always had a green thumb, so why not Christmas trees? I bought a tree farm out in the boonies about ten years ago, and it's fun to come out here and watch the goyim go nuts for these things.

ME: Did you know Alex built his house on an old Christmas tree farm?

CB: Know it? I sold him the land! I heard he was looking for a place out in the country, so I sold him 8 1/2 acres of bottomland. It was a frost pocket, so the trees never grew very well there.

ME: How do you feel about Donna Halper getting all the credit for discovering Rush?

CB: Let's be honest; when she played Working Man, she was just looking for a long track to play so she could go take a shit. She had no idea it would take off. I'm the person who got them that record deal. If I hadn't been in the office that day back in June of '74, Neil might still be selling tractor parts for his old man.

ME: I ran into Terry Brown the other day at a restaurant, any thoughts?

CB: I suppose he bitched and moaned about Rush giving him the axe back in '83. His entire career is built around the fact that he produced Moving Pictures. He's such a bitter old man.

I looked at my watch and realized that we had been talking more than an hour. I knew Tombstone and Lorraine would be waiting for me at the Huguenot, so I strapped a fine Norwegian Spruce to the roof of the car and took my seat next to Goober's stuffed llama, now my constant unobtrusive companion.

I returned to find Lorraine in surprisingly good spirits. So much so, she was wearing her old 7COG dancer outfit and modeling it for Tombstone. Quite frankly, the sight of that thing makes my hair stand on end. All I can imagine is Norman prancing around his room in it. I left TM and Lorraine to decorate the tree while I went to the kitchenette to make some coffee.

In order to keep in mind the reason for our trek to the Frozen North, I decided to play some Popol Vuh in Goober's honor. The first song had barely passed the one minute mark when I heard Lorraine shouting. "What the hell is that? I know Goober says he doesn't do drugs, but you'd have to be stoned to listen to that shit." It was probably best that we eat our dinner in silence.

After dinner we sat around the fireplace and reminisced about our travails on the "Goober Trail". We'd all met some strange characters and had experiences that will forever be seared into our memories. It was some comfort that we had each other in which to confide, since outsiders would never be able to understand our tribulations. It gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. . . but it only turned out to be heartburn.

With the Inner-City Olympics and judgment day for Goober just around the corner, we all retired to bed early. Lorraine put the Vapor Trolls Pez dispenser under her pillow, I tucked in the stuffed llama, and Tombstone sent a selfie to some woman he'd met at the Soak and Poke.

Edited by substancewithoutstyle
  • Like 3

Substance is proving himself a man of... substance!! I can only read in awe. I hope he gets to meet other semi-mysterious figures from Rush's past, so I can learn about them!!

Meanwhile, things are heating up in this part of the world... stay tuned...

• Like 3

The Yukon Blade Grinder

Toronto

25 Dec 2013

I should start off by saying that I dearly hope the header of this "article" is to Tombstone's satisfaction. He's become very finicky and demanding since my recruitment as a Grinder correspondent. He said he got tired of watching me sit on my ass all day gluing pasta shells together, and that he'd just as soon put me to work. Fortunately, he did give me Christmas Day off. Since I'm writing this on my rest day, and not in any official capacity, he really can't complain, can he?

I managed to coax Lorraine into returning to Toronto for what everyone hopes is the home stretch of the Goober saga. I told her that it would be a shame for her to bail on us after everything we'd been through together, and nobody wants to be called a quitter, so she reluctantly agreed to put family obligations aside and promptly hopped a plane back to The Great White North. While Tombstone went to the airport to retrieve her, I set about looking for a Christmas tree, a task I'd neglected to do until this morning.

As I drove along the motorway in our placid little suburb, I feared I'd have trouble finding an establishment to buy a tree on Christmas Day itself. My fears evaporated when I rounded a curve and saw a huge neon sign that read "Cliff's Christmas Conifers". While perusing the trees on offer, I noticed a very Santa-like figure seated at a card table in one corner of the lot. On closer inspection, he looked suspiciously familiar. Cliff's Christmas Conifers? Could it be? It was none other than Cliff Burnstein, the man largely responsible for signing Rush to their first record deal at Mercury Records. As you can imagine, I had a lot of questions for him, so below is a transcript of the juiciest bits of our conversation.

ME: I thought you were the co-owner of Q Prime, the management company that represents Metallica, among others. What are you doing selling Christmas trees, of all things?

CB: My business partner, Pete, does most of the heavy-lifting there, and I needed a place to go where I could get away from the rat-race on occasion. I've always had a green thumb, so why not Christmas trees? I bought a tree farm out in the boonies about ten years ago, and it's fun to come out here and watch the goyim go nuts for these things.

CB: Know it? I sold him the land! I heard he was looking for a place out in the country, so I sold him 8 1/2 acres of bottomland. It was a frost pocket, so the trees never grew very well there.

ME: How do you feel about Donna Halper getting all the credit for discovering Rush?

CB: Let's be honest; when she played Working Man, she was just looking for a long track to play so she could go take a shit. She had no idea it would take off. I'm the person who got them that record deal. If I hadn't been in the office that day back in June of '74, Neil might still be selling tractor parts for his old man.

CB: I suppose he bitched and moaned about Rush giving him the axe back in '83. His entire career is built around the fact that he produced Moving Pictures. He's such a bitter old man.

I looked at my watch and realized that we had been talking more than an hour. I knew Tombstone and Lorraine would be waiting for me at the Huguenot, so I strapped a fine Norwegian Spruce to the roof of the car and took my seat next to Goober's stuffed llama, now my constant unobtrusive companion.

I returned to find Lorraine in surprisingly good spirits. So much so, she was wearing her old 7COG dancer outfit and modeling it for Tombstone. Quite frankly, the sight of that thing makes my hair stand on end. All I can imagine is Norman prancing around his room in it. I left TM and Lorraine to decorate the tree while I went to the kitchenette to make some coffee.

In order to keep in mind the reason for our trek to the Frozen North, I decided to play some Popol Vuh in Goober's honor. The first song had barely passed the one minute mark when I heard Lorraine shouting. "What the hell is that? I know Goober says he doesn't do drugs, but you'd have to be stoned to listen to that shit." It was probably best that we eat our dinner in silence.

After dinner we sat around the fireplace and reminisced about our travails on the "Goober Trail". We'd all met some strange characters and had experiences that will forever be seared into our memories. It was some comfort that we had each other in which to confide, since outsiders would never be able to understand our tribulations. It gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. . . but it only turned out to be heartburn.

With the Inner-City Olympics and judgment day for Goober just around the corner, we all retired to bed early. Lorraine put the Vapor Trolls Pez dispenser under her pillow, I tucked in the stuffed llama, and Tombstone sent a selfie to some woman he'd met at the Soak and Poke.

Excellent work. You're no flunky. I'm sure chicks dig you at at social functions, or in your in your imagination. Keep it up esteemed YBG cub reporter!

• Like 1

Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you, but I don't have to tell you why I cannot watch the video. A glance at my title says it all. :(

He fooled me once too. He wrote an article that he said came from Rolling Stone, and I took it seriously.

• Like 2

The Yukon Blade Grinder

Toronto

25 Dec 2013

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

The funny thing about this is that is exactly what I would have said! My posts must be a better indicator of my personality than I thought. :cool:

• Like 2

The Yukon Blade Grinder

Toronto

25 Dec 2013

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

The funny thing about this is that is exactly what I would have said! My posts must be a better indicator of my personality than I thought. :cool:

He's growing up before our eyes!

• Like 2

He fooled me once too. He wrote an article that he said came from Rolling Stone, and I took it seriously.

Sadly it was the same thread as my faux pas. It was early on in my existence here and well before I came to the realization that trickery was not discouraged........ :D-13:
  • Like 1