Mustard

Tom Sawyer

• It was the mustard condiment, not the mustard plant, that was originally called mustard. The English name, mustard, is derived from a contraction of the Latin mustum ardens, meaning burning wine. The condiment got its name because it was made by grinding the seeds of what was once called the senvy plant into a paste and mixing it with must (an unfermented wine.)

• Canada is the world's largest producer of mustard seed.

• A one acre field of mustard produces 1 ton of seed, which produces 880kg of mustard flour which produces 4760kg of wet mustard, which produces 47,600 jars of mustard.

• The Chinese say to store mustard upside down to make it hotter.

• It is said that one tablespoon of mustard will stop the hickups.

• Pope John XXII was so fond of mustard that he created a new Vatican position known as "grand moutardier du pape" and promptly filled that post with his nephew?

Source: about.com

• King Louis XI is said to have traveled with his own royal mustard pot, in case his hosts didn't serve it.

• The first medical mention of it is in the Hippocratic writings, where it was used for general muscular relief.

• Mustard helps stimulate appetite and digestion, and clears the sinuses in much the same way as chiles, which are said to be as effective as commercial decongestants.

• Mustard flour sprinkled in your socks is said to help save your toes from frostbite, a claim which is also made about cayenne pepper and other spices containing volatile oils.

• A spoonful of mustard contains only a few calories.

I love mustard, real yellow mustard. In a brat, or a soft pretzel -mmmm, even a corndog.

One of my favorite "mustard scenes" from a film was The Deer Hunter when a drunk John Welsh (George Dzundza) is eating cold cuts and dipping them in mustard, then Alex (Chuck Aspegren) opens a twinkie and dips it into the mustard.

Alex: Hey, give me a Twinkie, Mike.

Mike:What are you guys, a bunch of cripples? Here.

John:That's mustard.

Alex:What?

John: He put mustard on his Twinkie.

Alex: You're talking like a g*ddamn traffic cop.

:D

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/f419e5ff-8556-4fa8-bd23-cce8f3453cae_zps20259c98.jpg
  • Like 1

My sister and I always called it Mouse-Turd and I still refer to it by that term. "Honey, can you pass the mouse turds?" Gets some odd looks.
  • Like 1

I read that one teaspoon of yellow mustard will stop heartburn in its tracks.

Seems it would do the exact opposite. Anyone ever try it?

I take Prilosec, so I never get heartburn.

I'm going to try this next time I get heartburn.

Yeah don't. Unless you really enjoy heartburn

I bought a bottle of Bertman's on a road trip through Ohio many years ago and thought that it was very good. Very flavourful.

http://cdn.mustardmuseum.com/images/uploads/185_1421_large.jpg

I love when you open a jar of Dijon mustard and take a whiff of that fresh mustard and feel the eyes watering and the tinkling in the nose! I have heard it's not that difficult to make yourself, so one should try it out some day. The best mustard I have tasted was a homemade one :)

Anyone tried this?

http://www.worldsfoods.com/shop/pc/catalog/l/maille%20grained%20dijon%20mustard.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks.

I haven't had heartburn in years

Please let me know. This has been told to me more than once and its supposed to really do the trick.

I too thought mustard would do the opposite, but I am told this thinking is wrong.

That one teaspoon of regular yellow mustard will stop heartburn immediately.

Recently acquired a German mustard (once again thanks Grey) that's out of this world. It has a wonderfully complex taste.

It's called Bayerisch sufser Hausmacher Senf by Handlmaier.

a mild brown mustard, with a hint of sweet pickle juice. There appears to be softened seeds that have the taste of caper. Excellent!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

If you're smoking a boston butt, for bbq, or smoking some ribs, rub a thin layer of mustard on the meat and then rub in the spices. The mustard makes the smoke "stick" to the meat, but after smoking for a long period of time, the mustard will disappear, and there will be a nice bark with the spices in it, which makes the meat taste really good.
  • Like 1