2013-14 NHL Season Thread

blackhawkrush

Rich Peverley has collapsed on the Dallas Stars bench... Players have been taken off the ice for now.

He's had a procedure done in the past for an irregular heartbeat..

This is scary

he's alright. couldn't believe what I was watching, though. rarely see anything like that happen to a player.

Rich Peverley has collapsed on the Dallas Stars bench... Players have been taken off the ice for now.

This is scary

he's alright. couldn't believe what I was watching, though. rarely see anything like that happen to a player.

He should retire before his story ends like Hank Gathers' or Reggie Lewis'.

This is scary

Or Alexei Cherepanov's...

Have to think that an NHL rink, with defibrillators and paramedics on hand, is one of the safer places for someone with a heart condition though.

This is scary

Have to think that an NHL rink, with defibrillators and paramedics on hand, is one of the safer places for someone with a heart condition though.

Jiri Fischer's career ended because of something very similar.

But while it's a very safe environment, he still has a potentially life-threatening condition. I think this is the end of his career, given his history of heart trouble.

Strangely enough, he missed a game last week because of the heart condition. I think he's missed two (maybe three) games this year, all due to the condition. He also had a procedure done to combat his irregular heartbeat before training camp and missed the season-opener. Basically, when the word spread that it was Peverley, every Stars fan's reaction was, "Oh, shit."

On a lighter note, the Vancouver Canucks.

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

This is scary

Agreed, although I was thinking about what might have happened if he was at the Stars' gym working out when he collapsed. A person with a heart condition of course runs the risk of having this happen any time he exercises, but being a professional athlete, and particularly a hockey or basketball player, really ramps up the threat. I like Peverley. I honestly hope he retires.

*sad trombone*

I can't believe Kesler is still there.

Not too surprised, to be honest. It was a total buyer's market at the deadline and there was no chance of getting a fair return when players like Vanek and Hemsky were getting picked up for basically nothing. Gillis did the right thing.

Things look pretty bleak right now but I feel like these Canucks could turn into something like last year's Bolts or 2012's Habs; i.e. a fundamentally decent team that just has everything go wrong all at once and could easily rebound the following season. This team is so snakebit that Alex Burrows is almost at the single-season NHL record for shots without a goal. You can't expect that kind of luck to continue indefinitely, and the team's core is still strong. Maybe it takes a new coach, maybe it takes some offseason retooling, but I don't think they're bad enough to be in "blow it up" mode just yet. That game last night was a real kick in the junk though.

*sad trombone*

Yeah, sorry about that. It seems the collective psyche of Canucks fans was messed with because of what the Isles did in that third period.

Since 2005, only one other team has lost by 3 after entering the third period with a 3-goal lead. That would be the Tampa Bay Lightning, in this game, coached by one John Tortorella. Edited by invisibleairwaves

*sad trombone*

Yeah, sorry about that. It seems the collective psyche of Canucks fans was messed with because of what the Isles did in that third period.

Since 2005, only one other team has lost by 3 after entering the third period with a 3-goal lead. That would be the Tampa Bay Lightning, in this game, coached by one John Tortorella.

Is Torts wearing out his welcome already? Or do Canuck fans generally think he's headed in the right direction?

*sad trombone*

Since 2005, only one other team has lost by 3 after entering the third period with a 3-goal lead. That would be the Tampa Bay Lightning, in this game, coached by one John Tortorella.

Vanek from Roy and Stafford three consecutive times in that third period? That's kinda wacky.