Rush: How I learned to forgive — and even like — the most hated band of all time

Earthshine_sf

And we have been wondering why it took so long for Rush to get in the hall...Guys like this...

How is it that all Rolling Stone writers can't help coming off as total dicks, even when they try to give a compliment?

• Like 1

The article is entertaining, sure, but its entire premise is fallacious. His argument is that his hatred of Rush was rational because FM radio "foisted" Rush upon him against his will, and to a degree that did not match their objective potential for popularity. Two serious problems with that analysis: A) We could exhaustively and endlessly argue the same about countless bands, and B) there is no such thing as an objective measurement of how much popularity a band deserves. I've read at least a dozen far more reputable theories about why Rush became one of the biggest cult bands of all time while simultaneously invoking the wrath of innumerable critics and listeners. And Sheffield's analysis, for me, doesn't even enter into the conversation. Simply put, it's neither convincing or remotely profound. But now, I suppose, I'm just sounding like a typical Rush fan...

Still, those problems aside, Sheffield really lost credibility with me when he claimed that "The Spirit of Radio" and The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" share the same guitar riff. Um... no. Not. Even. Close.

Nailed it, PF. This guy must have all grown up in some sort of vacuum, or maybe I did. Nothing he describes mirrors any part of my existence, past or present.

The backhanded nature of this article reminds me of that guy trying to explain liking the strange, unpopular, or misunderstood to his buddies so they won't bust his chops about it.

Robb Sheffied is dog crap melting on a sunny day.

Edited by Cyclops
  • Like 2

The backhanded nature of this article reminds me of that guy trying to explain liking the strange, unpopular, or misunderstood to his buddies so they won't bust his chops about it.

You nailed it. :D-13:

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 1

air telegraph - good name for a band, or at least a dance, air telegraph style lol . Just can't stand that guy without :smoke:

You've got great insight, for a guy with one eye. :cheers:

As do you, for someone who Tom Cruise let die.

As do you, for someone who Tom Cruise let die.

:laughing guy: