A few thoughts on what may happen on the R4X Tour

I would guess that if they decide to go out for an R40 tour next year (highly unlikely), that it would be their "farewell" tour. Then retirement. Not a bad idea to tell you the truth. Sign off at 40 years.

Now if they were to break for a couple of years, skip over 2014 so all the "R40" talk stops, they'd be more likely to craft a new EP or full album, release that, then go on their album/farewell tour and call it quits. Geddy sounded good on the Clockwork tour....but I also heard the struggle in the man's voice just trying to sing Subdivisions...it sounds like it actually hurts....

• Like 1

I would love to see the enemy within and the weapon live, but I'm questioning wether they will do another tour anytime soon. Don't get me wrong I would love to see a show but you do have to take into account that they're 60 and geddys voice is fragile.

Even though the Clockwork Angels Tour has just ended, I've been thinking about the next tour, and the possibilities that may occur to the band, especially now they've done the Vapour Trails remix and are re-releasing their albums between HYF and CA. This is one that I really want to see.

F E A R

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Witch Hunt

F R E E Z E

All 4 parts played live would be great! They may have forgotten the fact they finally recorded the last part of the Fear series during the VT sessions. They seemed to have fun doing the first three parts on the Grace Under Pressure tour. Who's to say the new setlist would be destroyed if the songs saw a one-by-one play on the new setlist.

This is just a thought, add yours at your leisure

The Weapon is SO due...would love to hear Enemy as well, great song. Not much interested in hearing the other two parts.

• Like 1

They will have another tour. The Success of the Clockwork Angels Tour will propell them into it. Probably Sooner than you think. I think it will be in the summer of 2014.

:codger:

Agree, though Im going to guess late fall.... a few singles via itunes, and then a swan song tour.

• Like 1

I wrote to the band suggesting songs to play on R40 (if they do it)

Sorry if anyone doesn't like any of the following :-

Jacob's Ladder

New World Man

Countdown

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

Available Light

Nobody's Hero

Driven

Peacable Kingdom

I'd rather hear hopefully about an hours worth of rare/unplayed tracks but happy with whatever they do.

Always wondered why they never did Chain Lightning for instance. Great track.

I wrote to the band suggesting songs to play on R40 (if they do it)

Sorry if anyone doesn't like any of the following :-

Jacob's Ladder

New World Man

Countdown

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

Available Light

Nobody's Hero

Driven

Peacable Kingdom

I'd rather hear hopefully about an hours worth of rare/unplayed tracks but happy with whatever they do.

Always wondered why they never did Chain Lightning for instance. Great track.

I totally agree with some of these songs. Afterimage is so underrated and is totally on my wishlist. This song would be great near the begining of the setlist. Countdown is on my wishlist as well. I think they could really do something spectacular with this song and really bring it back to life. The light show for Red Sector A on this last tour was phenomenal. I totally imagine Countdown getting this spotlight right around the same place in the setlist and with some really cool visual effects from the movie screen behind the band. The place could get very loud with all the space shuttle lift-off sounds. I could also see Countdown closing out the first half of the setlist. Available Light is another song that is just amazing and on my wishlist. Rush has their share of ballads and they always play those songs that slow down the pace and change the mood. Ususally it's Bravado or The Pass or when they did the acoustic version of Resist. I would love to see Available Light take that role. I am surprized New World Man doesn't get played anymore. I really like that song and would love to see them play it again. I read some interviews with Alex and it sounds like Rush was very close to playing Jaccob's Ladder on this last tour. So my guess is that we will see that song on the next tour, R40, which also has been discussed as well. Nobody's Hero, Show Don't Tell, and Driven I can do without. Great songs but I know I have gotten my fullfillment out of those songs. When I saw Rush on the Presto tour, I thought their best song was Scars. Go to Youtube or Google videos and look for the live version of that song. I would love to see them bring that one back. Another song that would sound great with all the modern equipment and I would love to see with a bigger production is Twilight Zone. That song fits in almost every Rush era and can be placed on a setlist with so many songs. I could picture it being played with Clockwork songs, Counterparts songs or Signals songs but I would also like to see it in the setlist with the classic 70's songs. Red Lenses would be another great song to bring back. There's just so much going on in that song, it really makes alot of sound. It's very abstract. It definately takes the mood to a different high with it's tempo and its complexity. Not to mention, like Scars, it is very percussion-oriented and would be just awesome to watch Neil play this live. This song has alot of energy. Another song on my wish list would be Broon's Bane/The Trees. Some Exit Stage Left. What better way to bring back The Trees than to play it like the live version we got familiar with in 1982 and to pay tribute to Exit Stage Left. Cold Fire is another underrated song that totally rocks and I am surprized it got left behind. Rush does Working Man quite a bit so why not Fly By Night? And I think In The End would be a great encore song. In the interview I read with Alex he did mention how much he liked Caress of Steel but "it might be stretcing it a bit" to think of actually performing any of it on R40. But the band had talked about songs they hadn't played in a long time. My guess is we get alot of the songs that were popular and many of those don't get played that much anymore. We'll get some that haven't been played in a long time. We'll get some Clockwork, and at least 2 or 3 songs they never played before (probably something from Vapor Trails because of the remixed version just coming out). And we'll probably get one of the "surprize" songs from the Clockwork tour (kind of like how they brought back Between the Wheels and used it on the setlist again for more tours, maybe we get Middletown Dreams again or Manhattan Project). And not at the top of my wishlist but a very good song and very underrated, Open Secrets. So if Rush is going to pull a vintage track from Hold Your Fire, I would be very bummed if they did Turn the Page (paying tribute to Show of Hands) or Mission again when Open Secrets is clearly one of the best songs on that album.

• Like 1

They have many good unplayed songs they can bring to light!

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

Chain Lightning

Cut to the Chase

Alien Shore

Open Secrets

Sweet Miracle

Ceiling Unlimited (With gtr solo)

Clockwork Angels

2112 O/T/F

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings (Extended Solo)

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Vapor Trail

Available Light

YYZ/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ The Garden

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight

See! That would be nine songs never played live right there!

Edited by losingit2k

One thing that has been consistent over the past several tours is that they've really changed up the setlist from tour to tour. Not that those songs were my favorites, but the past tour really brought a WHOLE lot of stuff they hadn't played in a while out which made a lot of people happy! I was glad just because the band is still playing live, and it gave me another sense of those tunes that I saw way back in the 80's...

Hopefully for the R4X tour they take their time, and plan out a good setlist that hits something from EVERY album! It would be even better if they stuck in a few things that the people want and have expressed over the years (i.e. Jacob's Ladder, more of Hemispheres/Cygnus X, and definitely an entire tune from Caress of Steel! heck, I'd even take Lakeside Park!)

I've been living with the attitude of "it won't last forever" and will be glad with whatever they play...

I also think that they won't play enough to keep the string section, but I could be wrong...

• Like 1

Will this be the tour when they finally tune down a step? Although I thought Ged sounded great in Hamilton, I think he sounded like he was really struggling on more recent show recordings. Zeppelin did it for select songs, why not Rush?

Will this be the tour when they finally tune down a step? Although I thought Ged sounded great in Hamilton, I think he sounded like he was really struggling on more recent show recordings. Zeppelin did it for select songs, why not Rush?

Well, they did for 2112, but that was 20 years ago.

And Circumstances a few years back...

And Circumstances a few years back...

Oh, yeah. S&A Live. Right.

How's this for a setlist?

One Little Victory

Tom Sawyer

Subdivisions

Force Ten

Grand Designs

Chain Lightning

Afterimage

YYZ

Countdown

The Camera Eye

Peaceable Kingdom

Red Barchetta

Middletown Dreams

New World Man

Vital Signs

Where's My Thing

Available Light

Headlong Flight

Red Lenses - Drum Solo

2112 (Entire Suite)

Jacob's Ladder

Far Cry

Encores:-

The Spirit Of Radio

Anthem

Finding My Way

Total Time - 2 hours 40 mins give or take

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I feel its going to be an R41 Tour in 2015. Considering the success of CA, the release of VT Remixed and the 25th Anniversary of Pew, CoS and FBN I think the setlist might look like this:

Set 1:

One Little Victory (Remixed Version with Solo)

Caravan

Limelight

Cut to The Chase (Never Played live)

Vapor Trails (Never Played Live)

Ceiling Unlimited (Remixed Version with Solo)

Limbo (Drum Solo #1)

Show Don't Tell (Never Recorded Live)

Clockwork Angels

2112 (O/T/F)

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings (With Extended Gtr Solo)

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

The Garden

YYZ/ (Drum Solo #2)

Alex's Solo/ BU2B (Album Version)

Hemisphere's (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Archives Instrumedley: ( Finding My Way, What You're Doing, Working Man, Fly By Night, Anthem, By-Tor & The Snowdog, The Necromancer, No One at the Bridge, Didacts and Narpits (Drum solo#3), Bastile Day)

Tom Saywer

Headlong Flight

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I feel its going to be an R41 Tour in 2015. Considering the success of CA, the release of VT Remixed and the 25th Anniversary of Pew, CoS and FBN I think the setlist might look like this:

Set 1:

Caravan

Limelight

Chain LIghtning (Never Played Live)

Mal-Nar (Drum Solo #1)

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Entire Suite)

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

The Garden

YYZ/ (Drum Solo #2)

Hemisphere's (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Archives Instrumedley: ( Finding My Way, What You're Doing, Working Man, Fly By Night, Anthem, By-Tor & The Snowdog, The Necromancer, No One at the Bridge, Didacts and Narpits (Drum solo#3), Bastile Day)

Tom Saywer

Headlong Flight

I'm in...once again Clockwork is represented well.
  • Like 1

Set 1:

Caravan

Limelight

Limbo (Drum Solo #1)

Show Don't Tell (Never recorded live on DVD)

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Entire Suite)

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

The Garden

YYZ/ (Drum Solo #2)

Hemisphere's (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Tom Saywer

Headlong Flight

I'm in...once again Clockwork is represented well.

As it always should be. Its the MP of a new generation. :codger: You should have seen how happy my daughter got when I told her we were going to see the CA Tour at the movies. She flipped. :dweez: :chickendance: :dweez: Edited by losingit2k

Actually, L2K, Show Don't Tell can be found on Different Stages. Track 6 if I'm not mistaken. Great setlist, though! Edited by Disk98

Actually, L2K, Show Don't Tell can be found on Different Stages. Track 6 if I'm not mistaken. Great setlist, though!

Yes, it's on Different Stages but not never been filmed on DVD as L2K was suggesting.